Show us your hitch!!!!

Old 08-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Show us your hitch!!!!

Greetings everyone!!

I want to get a hitch for my FEH so I can attach a hitch mounted bike rack (I'm too paranoid anything else will mar the paint on my baby.

Anyway.... I'd like something that hides under the bumper for the most part (The hitch ball mount has to be exposed of course but not the cross member).

Can I ask those of you with hitches to do me a favor. Tell me what model you have, how hard it was to put on, if any modifications were required and how extensive and how much of it is exposed..... Photos would be great if you can take one!!!

As a secondary part to this..... any suggestions and information on a bike rack for a hitch would also be welcome!!!

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Show us your hitch!!!!

I'm looking for a hitch as well. I imagine, since the FEH has a basic Escape body, then any regular Escape hitch will work.

As far as racks, I like this style because you can fold the rack down and have full access to your back door :
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4411

Old 08-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Valley doesn't bother to put in their catalog that the hitch does not fit a Hybrid, though the directions tell you right off. I wound up with a Drawtite, which I was able to shim a little on the front end to make the crossbar come up right under the bumper cover. I thought the installation went a lot better than I thought it might. The "fishwire" thing works pretty good.

If you want the "integrated" look where it comes out actually in the bumber, that would be a Ford product.

We added the Yakima 4 place rack. Note that for the 4 place you have to have the Class 3 hitch. I felt a little silly with a class 3, as the weight of the hitch is a significant portion of the towing capacity....but I digress.

The Yakima lets the glass open even when bikes are in place, but you have to lean it back to open the door. They make a version that has a nice lever release to let the arms fold down, but I wish they had put that on the upright instead. You only mess with the arms when you're biking, but if you leave the rack on, you have to mess with tilting the thing every time you go to the grocery store. Otherwise it's a nice rack, and the lock system if very cool.

Maybe a pic, but I'd have to get off my lazy butt.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:12 PM

I dont need it to come through the bumper...under is fine... I just would rather the entire crossbar doesn't extend beyond the bumper.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi,

I did not get an integrated hitch, but went the other way with a tough looking "hidden hitch", which is not really hidden at all. I wanted the hitch to be strong for the bike rack as well, and since this is a "truck" (ok, SUV) I don't mind it showing.

I don't have a closeup picture but here is one of it in action: <https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image1646.html>.

It took the mechanic less than an hour to install the hitch, but I also had the power cable for a trailer and that took a bit of time as they had to wire it from the front.

Cheers,

Roch

Old 08-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ranaes
I'm looking for a hitch as well. I imagine, since the FEH has a basic Escape body, then any regular Escape hitch will work.
Due to the coolant lines for the battery pack, hitches designed just for the regular Escape won't work. They have to have a notch for the coolant lines on the drivers side. There is a previous thread about this. A web search for "Escape Hybrid hitch" should lead you to multiple retailers selling Hidden Hitch, Draw-Tite, Curt and other brands that will fit. I bought a Curt receiver which installed pretty easily, but it extends several inches past the bumper. My wife has complained about bumping into it when she loaded stuff into the back. The Hidden Hitch and Draw-Tite receivers do not appear to extend past the bumper.

Last edited by pquig; 08-07-2006 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Exclamation Re: Show us your hitch!!!!

Originally Posted by pquig
Due to the coolant lines for the battery pack, hitches designed just for the regular Escape won't work. They have to have a notch for the coolant lines on the drivers side. There is a previous thread about this. A web search for "Escape Hybrid hitch" should lead you to multiple retailers selling Hidden Hitch, Draw-Tite, Curtis and other brands that will fit. I bought a Curtis receiver which installed pretty easily, but it extends several inches past the bumper. My wife has complained about bumping into it when she loaded stuff into the back. The Hidden Hitch and Draw-Tite receivers do not appear to extend past the bumper.
Hey,
If you look on page 10 of the FEH photos you'll see two pics of the Hidden hitch I installed. I ordered from etrailer.com and recommend them. To note, picture#2 shows the hitch attaching to the frame around the coolant line in the rear. To rehash what others have said, this is a specially made hitch for the hybrid....a regular Escape hitch will not fit!!

Good luck.

Nate

Old 08-07-2006, 07:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

I was going to take a picture, but here is one already by "Hybrid_SUV". Have a look at <https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image287.html>. It is a closeup so it may appear bigger than it really is. The part number is HH70758s at <www.hitchesonline.com>. It has the 2" receiver so make sure what you want to use also has the 2" receiver. The other option on that site is part #C12568/DH757568. It uses smaller tubes and may not show as much. I thought the mounting for the round tube one looked a bit stronger (from the photo at least) so I went with that one.

Cheers,

rcomeau

Last edited by rcomeau; 08-07-2006 at 07:41 AM. Reason: sp
Old 08-07-2006, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by rcomeau
The other option on that site is part #C12568/DH757568. It uses smaller tubes and may not show as much. I thought the mounting for the round tube one looked a bit stronger (from the photo at least) so I went with that one.
Great find! Just a reference...

Da'Lan Hitch

Last edited by WaltPA; 08-07-2006 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Getting the URL right!
Old 08-08-2006, 08:14 AM

Thanks folks!!! I'll take a look at the suggestions you've given me. I appreciate the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Show us your hitch!!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands