solar charger for escape?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default solar charger for escape?

I was looking for a way to add solar cells to the roof of my escape to increase battery power because I think it is a much more efficient process then a full PHEV kit.

I think the escape would be a better canidate for this type of technology vs a prius due to a large roof area for more solar cells, and larger trunk space for a greater number of aux batteries in series to take advantage of the solar cells.

Then I came across the following page http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/APRS-SPHEV.html

Although, it is a prius, used in the testing, I think the technology would be very similar. But, my initial problems are that I have not been able to find any wiring schematics for our trucks. Also The website does not have a contact person to ask for more details as to how he seperated the 2 batteries to prevent over-charge of the stock battery while still having the aux batteries supply power on demand and accept regen power.

Any help, advice, or areas to turn to would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: solar charger for escape?

brainstorming...

Would this work?

solar to aux battery bank.

Aux bank connected to DC to DC converter that is wired to the 12 v battery in the engine compartment.

12 V would get a continous charge, that would inturn return electricity to the main battery.

Program the DC to DC converter for a slow release of the stored energy thus never overcharging the escape main bat or overloading the wiring, yet still being able to use the solar power to aid in movment.

are there flaws or problems with this idea?

Old 03-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In our photo section, an individual named "Raven", has posted these pictures of a solar charger. I do not know the details. Maybe if you contact Raven, details can be produced.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I'm pretty sure he's charging a 12v battery, and using that to run all his accessories so that the HV battery has less work to do.

The cost is high, and the benefit is trivial.
The MPG boost from driving without a roof rack ( less wind resistance ) or reducing 50 pounds of weight, (spare tire+jack?) is greater than the MPG boost from an in-car solar charger.

Solar from a house roof size solar panel is the only way to go IMHO.
You can't get enough watts to make a measureable differece from a car mounted solar system.

Your FEH battery puts out a nominal 5,000 to 15,000 watts, with peak boosts of 25,000 watts. Now take a look at the wattage of your solar cells. 25 watts? 100 watts?
-John

Oh, without a MAJOR hack an MAJOR re-wire and a MAJOR $ investment, there is no easy way to charge the 330v battery.

Last edited by gpsman1; 03-08-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Enthusiast

I'm not looking to charge the primary battery. I am looking for a way to add an additional battery pack that the electric motor can draw from.

not a 25 watt backpack, but a reall cell. a 250+ watt solar cell would fit on the roof of the truck . probably more than 250 because a 250 fit on a prius roof!

If that cell was to charge a secondary battery pack and have that piggy-back into the primary battery that could be a meaningfull charge. That would be 1 to 2 KW of free energy.

(250+ watts x 8 hours of sunlight while parked at work could produce 1 to 2 KW of energy not saying 2 KWHs because I am factoring in pitch of both the sun and the 0 degree truck roof, but also consider most of the US sees more than 8 hrs of sunlight a day).

Since 1 BTU is the same as 0.293 W-hrs, or 0.000293 kW-hrs
1 gallon of gasoline has 125000 btu's.
125,000 BTU x 0.000293 kW-hrs/BTU = 36.625 kW-hrs.
Therefore, one gallon of gasoline contains 36.625 kW-hrs of energy.

this is the same as getting 1 free tank of gas a year

Or, 12000 mile/year truck that averaged 28mpg, would see it's mpg increase to 29 mpg.

No offense, but I want to know if there is anyway to add an additional battery bank. I wanted to know if by running the secondary through the 12v if the primary would draw off if it. I wanted know if my idea would work, and I am not looking for someone to discourage me from trying based on what they believe to be insignificant.

But thank you.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hack, good luck and report back to us as the project moves along. There is another individual in the photo section that has pictures of solar power.

In Southwestern Pennsylvania, during the colder season-November thru March, residents are lucky to receive 7-8 hours of sunlight a week! Overcast rules in this part of the country and it is something this out of state native quickly noticed.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:30 PM

Hack... No... The 12v system will not charge the 330v system.

The 330v system does charge the 12v system.
By putting solar energy into the 12v system to keep it topped off, then the 333v system will not need to. ( net savings )

Best case, I think you will get 1 mile of power per day, so yes, 365 miles a year is about 1 free tank of gas. But do you drive every day? Is it sunny every day? You really cant save up a year of power and use it all at once. You can utilize 1 mile of power per day.

One free tank of gas = $45. per year.

Please do this solar project if you have disposable income.
You can show those of us without the $ means what can be possible.
-John

Old 03-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
One free tank of gas = $45. per year.

Please do this solar project if you have disposable income.
You can show those of us without the $ means what can be possible.
-John
Thank you for the information that the 2 bat systems are seperate.

1 mpg gain for 1,000 dollars by adding solar plus battery bank inverter and charge controller...
10 mpg gain for 10,000 dollars by deciding to go hybrid vs standard escape.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:14 PM

Well both are expensive, yes.
But I don't agree on the costs.

However, my fully loaded 2005 with every option possible was $30,200.

I got $3700 cash back in tax credits,(state+IRS) making the cost $26,500.
Price a fully loaded V6 gas only Escape and it is about $26,500.
And I save $850 in gas per year with the hybrid compared to the V6.
-John

Old 03-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast

I paid 32 and change in 2006 for mine. No tax credit b/c I was in Alt min tax bracket. And if you are concerned with fuel savings the 4 cyl is the option not the V6... loaded is loaded.

In my world, where I was interested in ecconomy, not trailing or other offroad but wanted a hybrid with cargo room and the ability to go in the carpool lane alone... I paid apx 12k more plus the additional nys tax on the extra 12k...

Seriously though, there are plenty of things people add to an automobile that do not add mpg that cost money. Yet those things are never looked at with the same scrutiney as a fuel savings modification would draw. For example looks (rims), performance (intake, exhaust), comfort (leather), privacy (window tint), prestiege (lift/lowering kit/chrome trim)...

The V6 cost more than the the 4 cyl... because of the greater horse power and some other components. but the HP to cost ratio is rarely considered. But when it comes to adding something to the truck that will acutally save gas, for some reason it is looked down upon and only as a cost vs savings analysis. Why is that? Is the V6 dollar for dollar a better value than the 4 cyl? Is 60 HP (40 by the time it goes through the drive train) worth 5 thousand dollars? It doesn't matter b/c that question is never asked like that.

Now in a sports car, or racing club forum on the internet or in real life... If 40 dollar spark plugs, and the 50 dollar K&N air filter, with the 100 dollar intake manifold, 200 dollar exhaust pipe, and 1000 dollar lighter rims, 1500 dollar lowering springs, with the 1000 dollar summer rubber gives the car an extra 10 hp and better handeling, that's all money well spent in a sporting community.

but here, in a hybrid community, the attempt to save energy, make something more efficient is looked down upon, and price becomes an issue. In my opinion that is not what the spirit of GRENHYBRID should be.

Do you disagree?

Quick Reply: solar charger for escape?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands