Spun Bearings & Such

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 05:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Spun Bearings & Such

Several folks have reported engine damage by spun bearings. I find this odd. Not that bearings don't spin... its just that you just don't see that in automotive use these days.

So what's up? The FEH starts up at a far higher rpm and in a far shorter time than any other engine. This is neither good nor bad, it just is.

Could it be related to spun bearings? Maybe. It takes time for oil to be picked up by the oil pump and then pushed out to the bearings. The purpose of bearing inserts, which have soft metal on the bearing surface, is to prevent minor metal to metal contact from starting a progression to major damage. (eg Steel to steel contact can "spot" or touch weld transferring metal.)

The FEH engine also cycles on and off. Normally residual oil in the system enables pressurization much more quickly since it takes time for oil to drain down and the cycle times is much shorter.

So can the start cycle damage the engine? Maybe. I would observe that if you start up from engine off and go to full load quickly (ie you floor it) you might be at risk for spinning a bearing.

My thoughts:
- When you start the engine, just let it start up and idle for 30 seconds to a minute without going to power. If you live where temps go well below freezing let it warm up for 2-3 minutes. This will allow oil to get to the bearings and push out air bubbles in the system.
- If you're stopped at a light or otherwise and the engine cycles off: when you start out don't floor it, let the engine come on first, let it run for 5 to 15 seconds and only then floor it if needed (at least count to a slow three!).

These may take some "planning ahead" and "self discipline." Understand that the spun bearing may occur some time after the initial damage to the bearing. Think tens of miles or 10 minutes to an hour and if you shutdown the engine the progression will recommence when you next start it.

The damage to the bearing takes some time to propagate. When the initial damage occurs the steel crankshaft touches the bearing's soft metal surface and melts some of it. The liquified metal then moves around and restricts or cuts off oil flow, the bearing overheats, and then spins when the friction gets large enough. Spinning the bearing then completely cuts off oil flow doing major damage.

I don't buy the low oil level thing. If the oil level is high enough to submerge the pump suction the system will pressurize with the engine running. Even a 20% grade (very steep) is only an 11.5º angle. Too small to uncover the oil pump suction.