Steering issues - squeak and clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Steering issues - squeak and clunk

The steering on my 2008 FEH AWD has developed an intermittent squeak when the steering wheel is turned, noticeable when parking or at low speeds.

Sometimes days the squeak is very loud, sometimes it goes away completely.

There has also been occasional clunking sounds when the steering wheel is turned - but I have not heard those clunks for a couple of weeks now.

At high speeds the steering feels looser and more jittery than it did before. Not sure if that's real or just my fevered imaginaton...

I'm booked in to get this looked at at the dealership (my local mechanic said he wasn't qualified to do this job since it's a hybrid) - but in the meantime, is it safe to drive? Or, to put it another way, what's the worse case scenario if I continue driving for the next couple of weeks?

Many thanks for any advice.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Steering issues - squeak and clunk

Originally Posted by leegreen
The steering on my 2008 FEH AWD has developed an intermittent squeak when the steering wheel is turned, noticeable when parking or at low speeds.

Sometimes days the squeak is very loud, sometimes it goes away completely.

There has also been occasional clunking sounds when the steering wheel is turned - but I have not heard those clunks for a couple of weeks now.

At high speeds the steering feels looser and more jittery than it did before. Not sure if that's real or just my fevered imaginaton...

I'm booked in to get this looked at at the dealership (my local mechanic said he wasn't qualified to do this job since it's a hybrid) - but in the meantime, is it safe to drive? Or, to put it another way, what's the worse case scenario if I continue driving for the next couple of weeks?

Many thanks for any advice.
Well, you have two known issues that can cause this:

1. Your sway bars (aka stabilizer links) are bad. These are an easy and cheap fix. Just make sure to get the upgraded Moog part.

-or-

2. You are affected by one of the steering column TSB's for which a replacement of the column and/or track (depending on the exact culprit) are the remedy, from what I have seen.

Check out TSB 09-22-18

--or it could be something else, but those are two very common issues with those symptoms on pretty much all Escapes.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast

Looked further, and there is also TSB regarding squeaky steering, but only up to 2007. Corrective action is to lube the steering column boot and then flush the power steering fluid (something we don't have). The TSB is TSB 06-23-3 if you want to look it up.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for this info nicknc.

I had seen the TSB in question but it didn't seem to match what I was hearing

"Some 2008-2010 Escape and Mariner vehicles built on or before 6/11/2010 may exhibit a pop or clunk noise from the steering column area while turning. This noise typically occurs quarter turn before the steering wheel reaches it’s end of travel stop and typically goes away with weight off the wheels."

I wonder though whether I am taking an undue risk in continuing to drive the vehicle?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leegreen
Thanks for this info nicknc.

I had seen the TSB in question but it didn't seem to match what I was hearing

"Some 2008-2010 Escape and Mariner vehicles built on or before 6/11/2010 may exhibit a pop or clunk noise from the steering column area while turning. This noise typically occurs quarter turn before the steering wheel reaches it’s end of travel stop and typically goes away with weight off the wheels."

I wonder though whether I am taking an undue risk in continuing to drive the vehicle?
Did you check the TSB regarding the squeaking?

As far as risk, yeah I guess you are taking a risk, but I'd rule out the sway bars before panicking. They really are a very common problem. Worn half-shafts (CV joints) can also create popping and are a fairly simple fix for most mechanics.

I'd say you have three things to investigate yourself or through your mechanic:

- sway bars
- steering column
- CV joints

Old 11-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast

thanks, this is all good to know.

I'd checked the second TSB you mentioned, but it's only up to model 2007 - mine's a 2008.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast

UPDATE - it turned out to be the universal joint in the steering column. One of the caps securing the joint had come off - according to the mechanic, it's a common problem with Ford Escapes.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:36 PM
Enthusiast

I just replaced the steering shaft U-joint in my 2008 Mariner Hybrid. Complete failure while driving would be catastrophic. Since it is a common & dangerous issue, it merits a recall by NHTSA. See attached video clip in MMHsteering U-joint.ZIP

Attached Files
File Type: zip
MMHsteering U-joint.zip (626.5 KB, 213 views)
Old 04-28-2015, 01:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This is of interest to me. I had my steering column replaced over a year ago, because of the loss of boost, and prior to the recall. About 6 months ago the Escape developed a rattle that seemed to be in the dashboard, and was caused by any bump on the road, even very small ones. I also got a slight click noise now and then when steering, and if I twitched the wheel back and forth rapidly, I could make it rattle.

It turned out to be a loose bolt on the steering column coupler, which I believe is the same as the U-joint. This is indeed a severe safety hazard.

I'd like to know if the vehicles coming up with this problem are the ones that have had the steering column recall .

The U-joint, or coupler, has two bolts. One connects to the steering shaft, the other connects to the steering column. To replace the steering column, only the coupler-to-column bolt has to be removed. The instructions specifically require that the bolt be discarded and replaced.

The Ford service instructions for replacing the steering column include removing the coupler-to-column bolt.

If the loosening bolt is the coupler-to-shaft bolt, then this issue is separate from the power steering failure recall. If mechanics doing the steering failure recall are not installing a new bolt, or are failing to tighten it properly, then there is a residual problem.

Either way, these bolts are critical components and if there is a problem with them, Escape owners need to be extremely proactive about resolving any front end rattles or steering problems.

Edit: I have an update from my mechanic that it was the shaft-to-coupler bolt that came loose. This is not involved in the steering column replacement, and so this is a safety issue.

Last edited by xspirit; 04-28-2015 at 02:09 PM.