"Stop Safely Now"

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now"

Ok, I didn't go back in the thread to find what you were referencing. I assumed it was the resistor or something that that bypass in the older packs since it's such a common issue.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08escapehybrid
Ok, I didn't go back in the thread to find what you were referencing. I assumed it was the resistor or something that that bypass in the older packs since it's such a common issue.
sorry, I do not see the post I referenced. Probably due to the fact that I have become so active in allot of forums regarding this FEH since I bought it and they overlap.

here is the information from my facebook post minus the pic.

I recently purchased a 2005 FEH from my Brother-in-law which had no end of problems. As I remember, it had HVB codes, TCM codes, PCM codes, BCM codes. If there was a system that could spit a screw you, the HS-can was yelling about how unfair it was to have to deal with humanity. My Brother-in-law, an electrician and generator mechanic told me that it had been sitting for over 9 months because after throwing about $2500 in parts at it (having followed the Ford diagnostic guide) it still was dead. I used my OBDII reader to check codes and got an impressive list, after replacing the 12-volt battery almost all the codes went away except the HVB codes and the TCM/PCM codes. That was when I decided to look for better software to diagnose the FEH systems. Codes mean nothing if you can't run system checks on subsystems. In my search, I found www.forscan.org a website that has software for smartphones and windows to run almost all of fords diagnostics and programming functions. Using that software I discovered that the HVB was not getting a reliable temperature from the air moving through the HV battery (the fans were always on) corrosion on the connector prevented a clean signal from the temp sensor.
I took the HVB covers off expecting to need to replace fans/a wiring harness and instead just used a good contact cleaner to clean the electric connections on the temp sensor connector. 5000 miles and 2 months worth of rain later I haven't had a single red triangle of death, and am getting about 28 MPG with the oddball tires he had on it.
I highly recommend forscan.org for their software.

followed by:
Remove the tape, and strap from the off red square connector and you will have a 2 wire connection (white and blackWhite if I remember right) mask of the battery pack with a plastic bag and use good quality spray contact cleaner. remember ORANGE KILLS!!! don't get stupid 330V DC will fry you dead very quick. Let dry 15 min and reconnect then set connector out of the way like shown above. reassemble HVB like it was before being careful not to pinch the weather seal and connect anything you disconnected. (PS I did it hot, just took the fuse out) I suspect that while they have been adding a wiring harness to these packs, the reality is that this connector has become corroded and with such low voltage needed for a temp sensor and no current to keep it values accurately that the added harness was a patch to keep the HVBC from freaking out when it didn't get a reading in a timely manner.

Connector is the one in the Red Square.

HBP

Attached Thumbnails "Stop Safely Now"-15110261_10210413596193987_3547720207099793849_o.jpg  
Old 12-08-2016, 05:25 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08escapehybrid
The code appears to be from an interlock tripping to disable the system. I don't know where those are located, but that would be a place to start. There are two interlocks on the hybrid that I am aware of. They're just kinda like inertia switches. In the meantime I would see if clearing the codes will allow a vehicle restart or possible disconnecting the 12v negative cable and going so far as to clear the memory by connecting the DISCONNECTED 12v negative cable lead to the positive cable for a few minutes. Only do that if clearing the codes doesn't work since you'll lose all your learned parameters and your car may read out in degrees celcius on the climate control system for a few key cycles, never figured out why, but it goes back to farenhight after a day or two.

So it ended up being the Ignition Control Module, and The ABS sensor was toast. 1 day in the garage, $600.00

Old 12-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Was the abs just something they did at the same time or did they say it was connected somehow because of a short or something?

Old 02-10-2017, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

Hi All,

I'm a new member or Green Hybrid forum as of today, and an 8 day old member of the SSN/ICE shutdown club. I'm hoping that you knowledgeable and experienced folks will take the time to read my post, as I'm stuck in Mexico without Ford dealership assistance. Unfortunately, Ford does not work on Hybrids here as they do not sell them or train the techs for them in Mexico. Fortunately, I was able to take it to a dealership and they were able to read the codes stored in the PCM - they are listed later in this post.

I've spent the last week Googling the SSN issue on multiple forums, Youtube and websites. I've read all 37 pages of the SSN thread on this forum, and done some of the work suggested.

The vehicle in question is a 2006 FEH AWD and bought it 2 years ago from a Ford Mechanic in Vancouver BC who was selling it due to no longer needing a 2nd vehicle.

Almost immediately upon purchase it threw codes for the P0A96 high voltage fans, but on testing them with the tech in the Ford shop they were functioning fine. So I bought the fan replacement kit but have not installed them, and have driven it for the last 2 years without incident, until now.

A week ago I took it in to a local mechanic to have the oil and filter changed, a new fuel filter put in, a new thermostat put in (which I brought from Canada - they drained the Gold coolant and replaced with a non-OEM Quaker state pink). The parts were not OEM, and they did not burp/bleed the air from the cooling system after, only advised me to top up to within cold fill levels as needed.

I drove home without incident (4 blocks) and the next day had my first SSN message and ICE shutdown ever within a block. I topped up the coolant, and was able to continue. Come the weekend my wife and I tried to drive on the hwy and had multiple SSN/ICE shutdowns within 4km, along with hard shifting and not being able to raise the RPMs over 4200 or go over 80kph/50mph without an SSN. Very low power - shift points very off.

So the road trip was over. Limped home and began Googling.

Yesterday I was able to get a tow over the big hill to the dealer in La Paz. I was able to go about 20km and up to 90kph before the FEH was losing power going up the hill and experiencing the hard shifts. Eventually the SSN/ICE shutdown occurred, and then I waited for my tow over the hill. Once over the hill I was able to go down to La Paz and city drive without incident, and afterwards return up a less steep grade at lower speed/RPMs and make it back to home - about 55km.

Here are the Ford codes:
P0A81-60-BCM: Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan Control Circuit
P0A96-60-BCM: Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit
B106E-20-GEM: Solid state driver disabled due to short circuit
B1318-20-GEM: Battery voltage low
B1342-60-GEM: ECU internal fault
B2030-20-GEM: Front Fog Lamp Relay Circuit Failure
P0685-FF-PCM: ECM / PCM Power Relay Control Circuit/Open
P1000-FF-PCM: On-board diagnostis (OBD) systems readiness test not complete
P1A0C-FF-PCM: Hybrid Powertrain Control Module - Engine Disabled
P1A10-FF-PCM: Hybrid Powertrain Control Module - Battery Disabled
C1218-FF-TCM: ABS warning indicator output circuit failure
P0A81-00-BCM: Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan Control Circuit
P0A96-00-BCM: Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit

So far I have:
- Checked MECS pump - it is the newer replaced version and is working (humming/vibrating pump, vibrating hoses/moving coolant as in this video:
)
- checked/bled coolant of air over transaxle as per instructions around the 10min mark of same video
- checked/switched/cleaned relays as per this post: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/in...?threads/6882/
- cleaned the MAF sensor
- cleaned the HVB filter
- repaced the air filter
- cleaned the Throttle Body as per:
- relearned the Throttle Body as per:
- cleared the PCM as per:

I have yet to replace the HVB fans (as they are in Canada right now) or check if the additional wiring harness in the HVB has been installed/cleaned as per post #362 from HBP112358. That will be tomorrow if all goes well, the fans will have to wait until a friend is able to bring them to me.

There is one additional symptom that is presenting regularly now: When the engine is cold (after sitting overnight) on startup it idles a bit high (~1300rpms) for a few seconds with the HVB assisting the ICE, then it drops suddenly down to about 1000rpms with no HVB assist, then cycles up again. It does this a total of 4 times while the vehicle is stationary, then does an SSN/ICE shutdown. On immediate restart the car runs normally below highway speeds.

Question #1: Why would a new thermostat/fluid/oil/fuel filter trigger the SSN/ICE shutdown cycle?
Answer? - Could it be that the air that wasn't bled caused a temporary overheat and messed up a sensor? Or could it have put the final nail in the coffin for the HVB fans?
Question #2: Can any of you offer any advice on what direction to go beyond what I have already done/intend to do when the HVB fans arrive?

Lastly, I have video of the symptoms prior to the SSN/ICE shutdown that I am going to upload to Youtube this evening. In the morning I will try to recreate the startup SSN and get it on video as well. Links to follow...

Thanks in advance,
Ari

Old 02-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast

And here is video of the SSN failure yesterday - after having cleaned Throttle Body and the MAF sensor, retrained the Throttle Boday and cleared the PCM of stored memory.

I was not able to duplicate an SSN on startup this morning but it was already a bit warm out. I'll try again tomorrow earlier when it's cool outside...

Old 03-19-2017, 05:46 PM
Enthusiast

Sadly, my saga continues without a resolution.

At this point I am going to be attempting to limp the car 1500km up to San Diego where I have an appointment booked with a Ford Dealership.

I tried everything I could think of between what Ford mechanics in BC, La Paz and Google could tell me that was within my abilities, but could not resolve the problem.

Ford La Paz was extremely helpful and did no less than 4 different sets of diagnostic tests (free of charge!) over 6 weeks, but in the end without having the software to "talk to" the Hybrid system, they were unable to help me.

Here is a timeline of the issue and a list of the work I performed while trying to resolve the SSN issue:
Feb 4th
- Multiple SSN/ICE shutdowns when attempting to go highway speed. Anything over 4000 rpms trigger it, terrible MPG up to 12.5L/100km from 9.1L/100km on drive South into Mexico
Feb 10
- Cleaned & retrained Throttle Body
- Cleaned MAF
- Cleared PCM (battery disconnects)
- MPG improved to 9.8L/100km
Feb 17
- replaced non-OEM coolant with Ford OEM in MECS system (no change in SSN issue)
Feb 27
- removed 2nd Catalytic converter (thought it was plugged & causing SSNs) and added straight pipe (no change in SSN issue)
Feb 28
- replaced both HVBP cooling fans with new fan kit (no change in SSN issue)
March 5
- cleaned all relays, HVBP connections, PCM connections with electrical contact cleaner (no change in SSN issue)
March 19
- pulled primary O2 sensor to try a test drive to see if Manifold CAT was blocked. Sadly, got a SSN within 2 blocks. Experiment over...

And last but not least, here are the codes I started with:
Feb 9 - towed to Ford La Paz for 1st round of diagnostics

P0A81-60-BCM: Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan Control Circuit
P0A96-60-BCM: Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit
B1318-20-GEM: Battery voltage low
B2030-20-GEM: Front Fog Lamp Relay Circuit Failure
P0685-FF-PCM: ECM / PCM Power Relay Control Circuit/Open
C1218-FF-TCM: ABS warning indicator output circuit failure
P0A81-00-BCM: Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan Control Circuit
P0A96-00-BCM: Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit

And what I ended with:
March 7 post-test drive

P0400-FF-PCM: EGR system flow malfunction

Final Analysis - Going to try a new GEM/SJB and possibly a Throttle Body as per TSB 09-19-12

Old 03-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast

Hey folks,
just inherited an 06 FEH with a bad motor that had been sitting for nearly a year. Swapped the engine out without problems, but awakening the battery did take some persistence. After working at it for a while, I got enough juice into the traction battery to spin the generator (~700 rpm) for 20-30 seconds at which point it shuts down with the SSN message and the following codes:

P0A81
P1000
P0685
P1A10
P1A0C

I had it at the dealership and they wanted me to replace the battery. I think its spinning long enough to fire up the engine regardless of the traction battery (and it should want to because the battery is so low). I can smell unburned fuel in the exhaust and checked for gas at the fuel rail.

The throttle body is humming a little as soon as the key is turned to 'on', and it continues to do that after the electric motor has shut off. Is that unusual behavior? the TB seems like a good place to look next...Any bright ideas out there?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-21-2017, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast

Hi gjohnson,

Although I haven't resolved my code issues yet (as per post #367) but I do have one thing that should resolve one of your codes.

The P0A81-60-BCM: is the Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan Control Circuit, which I resolved by replacing both fans in the HVBP. It is a kit with both fans included, part #5M6Z10C659A and it's not hard to do the work - instructions and photos are 1/2 way down this page: https://forums.edmunds.com/discussio...k-questions/p2

Putting the fans in cleared my P0A81 and P0A96 but did not solve my SSN issue.

The rest of your code problems and SSN are very similar to mine, but my car still drives - for now.
I am about to limp back to the States to try to get it worked on, thus far I'm also focused on the Throttle Body as per TSB 09-19-12: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/bk...e_assembly.pdf
and in my case the GEM/SJB for my B106E and B1342.

If you are able to get yours up and running and no longer giving you SSNs after fixing/replacing the throttle body, please post back here to let me/others know. I will do the same if/when I make it back to the States.

Thanks, and good luck,
Ari

Old 03-25-2017, 07:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AriG
Hi gjohnson,

Although I haven't resolved my code issues yet (as per post #367) but I do have one thing that should resolve one of your codes.

If you are able to get yours up and running and no longer giving you SSNs after fixing/replacing the throttle body, please post back here to let me/others know. I will do the same if/when I make it back to the States.
I wonder if you would end up needing to inspect the traction battery/HVB cell by cell to find out which ones are bad. Drivers of old Insights and Priuses used to do this as part of a battery rebuild process. It was a little complicated because once cells are replaced, the pack had to be carefully rebalanced to maintain a good charge.
Not sure if these battery rebuilds are still done, because now there are a lot of relatively inexpensive hybrid cars around that have good battery packs.

Quick Reply: "Stop Safely Now"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands