"Stop Safely Now" then on restart No Regen Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default "Stop Safely Now" then on restart No Regen Brakes

I didn't want to start a new thread for this same topic; but now that I'm awak I see the thread I was in siad service engine. It seems the stop safely now message can come from any number of reasons. So tonight I got mine.

2am way home from work, middle of nowhere road pitch black out, SCII+ starts to "freak out" blinking, changing colors & intenisity. Figure it's just decided to go bad after a few months, reach down, while still driving, and unplug it, but decide to replug it to see if maybe it was just loose. After it booted up, w/in 30 seconds I got the stop safely now message, no throttle at all, EV or Gas. roll to a stop. (Check SC for a code, none found) Put it in P, turn the key hoping it'll start at this late hr & locataion! and it did, whew! But got No regen Braking message on the display. So I continue to drive home, only 3 mi to go. I decided to try a re-start at the next stop sign (2 mi from home) and it started right up, no messages, everything seems to be working fine.

Full tank of gas, just 'topped' off at a Sam's gas pump yesterday, only added about 7gal. but different from where I normally fill up.
Lights, radio, etc all still working.

So did the re-plug of the SC cause it? (if so why was SG flaking out?) Is the OBD plug a 2 way street? Could the SG have 'sent' a code to the car confusing it?

Should I be worried and have it serviced? (5 mi short of 10k) (Noting that any warrenty work will count against my refund on the ext. warrenty. not sure if just looking at the car w/o work would count, but suspect it would as the shop will need to count 'billing hours' in their records to get paid.)

Wait for it to happen again? If the wife is driving, she'll have a cow, and blame me for something I'm sure. "That d*&79 gadget of yours did this!"

Or something else.

I have the 08, so battery recall, yet.

Suggestions??!!

Thanks for any advise. (Wife at work now, no e-mails yelling at me, so must have been smooth going)

Old 03-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now" then on restart No Regen Brakes

I'd wait it out - there have been several cases of FEH's acting goofy and after restarting the problem is gone. Maybe you want to disconnect the battery (when the wife isn't looking of course), wait an hour and hook it back up. Don't forget to reprogram the clock and the radio memory or you're bagged.

It could have been a fluke or it could be something bad about to happen but if it is working fine now, bringing it in may be a waste of time.

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by denverjay
I'd wait it out - there have been several cases of FEH's acting goofy and after restarting the problem is gone. Maybe you want to disconnect the battery (when the wife isn't looking of course), wait an hour and hook it back up. Don't forget to reprogram the clock and the radio memory or you're bagged.

It could have been a fluke or it could be something bad about to happen but if it is working fine now, bringing it in may be a waste of time.

Good luck.
I plan on delaying, if possible. Just wanted an opnion if this is an indicator or a potential major problem (possibly) or as another post quotes a tech "just one of those hybrid things"I'm currently leaning toward a SG issue actually. That night when I got to work 8 hrs before the incident, there was no data in 1 field (avg this trip). Today we've logged over 50 miles, no FEH troubles. wasn't watching the SG all day, but again when I got to work all 4 data fields were empty, but had the info ie blank MPG blank FWT etc.So what do youa'll think. Fluke, SG, or a hint she'll die one night? (I was planning on a road trip in a few weeks, hope she's fine) I think I'll unplug the SG for now to be safe. (of course I just threw away the box/reciept last week!)

Old 03-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

You disconnected the SG without turning off the key. You basically corrupted the can buss data flow. This is like turning of a LAN computer without shutting down. It takes 2 key starts to clear. I have had this happen to me before.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
You disconnected the SG without turning off the key. You basically corrupted the can buss data flow. This is like turning of a LAN computer without shutting down. It takes 2 key starts to clear. I have had this happen to me before.
Whew, that's good news. FEH is fine then. Guess my SG is going bad? Better a $150 SG than a $30k FEH tho.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith

Yeah, don't do that. It's bad. Do all the plugging or unplugging with the FEH off.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:41 PM

I also e-mailed SG (linear logic) what was happening, I got this reply
It sounds like might be operating at to high of a frequency. We've found that 2008 models seem a lot more sensitive to frequency shifts in the ScanGauge. Most likely the unit is opperating close to our built in error tolerance and it just managed to creep to far for the car.

And offered to send a replacement to me

Also lesson learned to not plug/unplug the OBD while running

Old 03-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

There is a bug in the software on my PROFESSIONAL scan tool (not the Scan Gauge) that does this even when I "log off". The Hybrid, I am told use a higher buss speed than the other Ford CAN systems and is driving the scan tool manufactures crazy. I don't think this can cause more than a check engine light because once the system reestablishes communication with its area network the problem is gone.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I have a 2005 and I have not seen these issues.

However...
Anyone know how much current the CAN bus can provide?
The SGII allows to chain multiple units together.
These have back-lights that take some amount of power.

I have 2 wired in series.

When I turn off the car, the SG back-light flickers a few times, then goes out. It does not flick, and just goes out like a lamp with just 1 SG.

Just curious.
-John

Old 03-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

IIRC from my class they said the buss was in the area of 100Mbps bi directional

Quick Reply: "Stop Safely Now" then on restart No Regen Brakes

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands