Sync Microphone kit TSB

Old 09-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Sync Microphone kit TSB

Ok, so I have the external microphone installed to fix the problems with background noise and all is working well for about 9 months. Then the mic stops working. I plug the wires from the mirror mics into the connector and confirm it is in fact the mic that has gone bad.

Get the usual run around at the dealer, they say " it's ~400.00 to fix, but we will fix it if you pay the $50 deductable (I'm out of warranty). Smelling something fishy, I do my research and the part is $49 at the parts counter at the same dealership.

So I buy the part, replace it myself (<5 mins) and all is working fine......For just under 2 months.....Then it's out again

The dealership replaces the mic under the parts warranty and I put in in yesterday and all is well again.

So my questions are:

Defective parts????

Something killing them? I measured the voltage to the mic on the Blue (+12) and Braid (Gnd) and it measured 13.5vdc.

Has anyone else had the "upgrade" and had additional problems since?

Old 09-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sync Microphone kit TSB

My wife had her mic diagnosed as "bad" when they did the Sync 911 update about 4 months ago and we took it back for call quality problems. (It was fine before the update.)

Knowing how lousy the phone quality can be when using Sync, I asked about the TSB and was told they'd know when they do my 911 update if the mic was bad. (They didn't replace mine, tho I'd like to have it replaced.) Both our vehicles are about the same production date, but only mine is a hybrid.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:28 AM
Enthusiast

I originally demanded that they install the black external microphone because the in-mirror mic design is horrible for call quality. I am much happier with the new mic with the exception of the failures.

I like how they have changed the design in 2010 vehicles because they realize that there is a problem.

I had to work with 2 dealerships at the same time to get the TSB done and the external mic installed. It also doesn't hurt to have the TSB in hand in case they try to give you the run around.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:06 AM
Enthusiast

Does anyone have the pdfs for TSB's 10-4-8 or 10-8-4, and do you know if something changed from the original TSB that I had this installed from?

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by specelec
Does anyone have the pdfs for TSB's 10-4-8 or 10-8-4, and do you know if something changed from the original TSB that I had this installed from?

Thanks!
TSB 10-8-4 superceded 10-4-8. It's a 30MB PDF with lots of pictures which is much too big to attach here. It says the changes were vehicles added to the list of affected ones.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Bill, I was concerned that they may have identified a problem that is causing the mics to fail. 1 week now and its still working........

If it fails again I am going to Ford directly.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:55 PM

Just came back from the stealership and have a new external mic on order for my wife's MM. Her first external mic died and mine (also external) also appears to be dead so will have to schedule time to take mine in again.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 AM
Enthusiast

I hope they are still under warranty for you. Nice quality Ford!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 AM

Yes they are. Original warranty for my wife's and will be first extended warranty claim for mine.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:22 PM

Just had my external sync mic replaced again under warranty.

8T4Z-19A391-B

TSB 10-25-12

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sync Microphone kit TSB

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands