Test Drive this weekend - FEH 2006 - New to Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Newbie to Hybrids
Default DISASTER AFTER BUYING -- see last Test Drive this weekend - FEH 2006 - New to Hybrids

Have been lurking and searching for information for a few months on this forum. I am about 95% certain I am going to pull the trigger on getting a used 2006 FEH (59K Miles).

We have test driven the vehicle once for a about 10-15miles. Both my wife and I like the feel of the car. We have a 3 yo son and even put the car seat in the back. BTW one annoying thing is that our son can reach the power window switch and it constantly goes up/down up/down. Enough room for all of us + room for one more if needed.

The used car lot is going let us have the car for a day this Saturday (10/31). My question is what should I look for when doing this longer drive? I have never owned a hybrid.

SPECS:

Black 2006 FEH
Leather, sunroof, nav system, 59K

What should the battery dial do when I am driving?
Living in Central, Fl the AC will be used year round. Our first drive we did not realize that keeping the setting on MAX AC would keep the ICE on 100%. We want to get a real world feel for how warm it could possibly get with the AC in econ. Any Central Floridians out there with real world experience on the AC in a FEH?
What are the big things I need to watch for on the Hybrid components?

We are then going to send the car to the Ford Dealership to get it checked out by a tech. What is the Hybrid Certification I should look for from the tech? I do not want a regular ICE tech looking at it, want a certified Hybrid tech.

Thanks for yalls help

Last edited by Chavez720; 11-05-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: UPDATE - see last post
Old 10-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Test Drive this weekend - FEH 2006 - New to Hybrids

You need to have the Ford dealer print up all the repair/service/mainetance work performed on the vehicle. This could provide information on how well or poor the vehicle was maintained. You must have the October 2007 hybrid battery harness recall work performed before you agree to any purchase price. You need to make sure the MCEP (motor coolant electronic pump) is sound. There has been an issue with the first generation (2005-07) vehicles.

The Contential EcoPlus tires were standard equipment (provided improved mileage with their low rolling resistance) and likely have been replaced by what? You might want to bargain to have the Michelin tires found on the 2010 Escape Hybrid placed on this vehicle.

You should be able to lock the window controls via the driver's side controls.
Good luck.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Test Drive this weekend - FEH 2006 - New to Hybrids

Originally Posted by Billyk
You should be able to lock the window controls via the driver's side controls.
Yes, there is a switch on the drivers door handle that can disable the window controls on all the other doors.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:24 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

You should let the engine run for 5 minutes. It will do this if cold or at ambient temperaure anyways. It will charge the big battery during this time.

When the engine finally shuts off, travel with a very light foot at 25-30 MPH with the engine off. If you can go 1.5 miles or more with the engine off, you have a perfectly good battery. If you can go at least 1 mile, you have a decent battery.

The charge / assist needle won't move much if you are a gentle driver.
If it moves a lot, then you are a lead foot Louie!

I'd pay about $15k for a vehicle like that, I suppose.
But that's after it checks out.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:02 PM
Newbie to Hybrids

Thanks for the replies so far

Tires are Continentals in the back and Michelins in the front. Both sets of tires look and drive brand new. Wondering why they would have bought a whole new set of tires at 59K? Was there an alignment problem on this model year?

CarFax is clean but I am still taking it too the dealership on Tuesday. Thanks for the recall orders and advice on the coolant pump.

Wow it gets hot in there without the AC? This is kind of concerning to me. We were drving about 25-30 mph down the coast in Melbourne Beach, windows up and in EV. About 1/2 mi into the ride, 90°F Ambient 100%RH, it got unbearable. We had to put the AC on Max to even drive. Guess this is something we are going to have to get used too

I drove in EV for about 1 mile. The lead foot wife is going to have to learn to lighten up as she only did EV for 1/4 mi.

Solultion to the window in the back with my son was to stick him in the middle of the back seat, problem solved! Now to figure out where to mount the DVD with him sitting in the middle.

Overall good ride so far. Going out here in a bit to do some more driving around town. Only drawback to this car is the AC. We are negotiating and at 14K Purchase price on the car so far.

Last edited by Chavez720; 10-31-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:38 AM

Good solution for your son and the windows. I expect that while a bit harder to get him in and out of the seat, the center of the back seat is the safest location as it's the center of the vehicle and furthest from any front/back/side impact point.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Newbie to Hybrids
Default Re: Test Drive this weekend - FEH 2006 - New to Hybrids - UPDATE BAD NEWS!!!!!!

OK I bought the car.

Two days later we are having brake failure!!!!!!!!!!! !Brake, Service Brakes, and ABS lights turn on. The care behaves like it has no brakes. My wife has almost got into an accident. What can I do??

I brought it too several dealers and no codes are showing in the PCM. It is currently at the dealership.

Has anyone had this fixed?
Right now I do not feel comfortable driving this car at all. I have no recourse as I bought it as is no warranty.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Default Re: Test Drive this weekend - FEH 2006 - New to Hybrids - UPDATE BAD NEWS!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Chavez720
OK I bought the car.

Two days later we are having brake failure!!!!!!!!!!! !Brake, Service Brakes, and ABS lights turn on. The care behaves like it has no brakes. My wife has almost got into an accident. What can I do??

I brought it too several dealers and no codes are showing in the PCM. It is currently at the dealership.

Has anyone had this fixed?
Right now I do not feel comfortable driving this car at all. I have no recourse as I bought it as is no warranty.
Did you run the vehicle's VIN thru the Ford owners site and check for previous repair/mainetance work? Did this vehicle have the September 2007 hybrid battery harness recall work performed? Did you check for TSB issues on this vehicle? Sorry for your problem but it is hard to say more without more information about your specific vehicle and it's history.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Newbie to Hybrids

Checked history no problems nothing reported
Had the Dealership check on recalls none.

Even paid to have the inspection done before buying and nothing showed up.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Newbie to Hybrids

I need help on this one. Will go to dealer and make suggestions if anyone has one.

Go here for CarFAX

http://greenwisemotors.com/cgi-bin/s...6960&d_id=1163

Last edited by Chavez720; 11-05-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Test Drive this weekend - FEH 2006 - New to Hybrids

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands