Is there a trailer back there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Is there a trailer back there?

Well, I got a 5x9 utility trailer with ramp from uhaul. Empty it wieghs 1,240 pounds, according to uhaul website. On the way home in my 08 FEH, only the bumps let me know it was back there. performance and braking were excellent.

We put our old washer and dryer on it, alonng with a little scrap metal and about 10 bags of aluminum cans. Not a heavy load I know, but close to 500 pounds more than Ford suggests. The FEH did GREAT! Driving around town and about 5 miles down the hiway reached 60 with no problem and felt there was MUCH more to give.

Highest RPM was slightly above 4k. But that was only during acceleration. I don't have a scangauge, so I don't and can't track all the great things you all do. But I can report : RPM's increased slightly, less then 1000 in city driving, braking seemed unchanged except for shifting into low seemed to have an even greater effect in slowing the vehicle, and handling was wonderful. I can also say that the onboard nav system mpg counter is at 28mpg, I reset it as I left uhaul with trailer in tow. Towed 5-7 full suburbania blocks in EV mode at 20ish mph. AWESOME!

Tomorrow I take a 500 pound motorcycle on a 300 mile trip. My confidence in this truck to do the job of towing 2000 pounds or so is very high. I will post results of the trip tomorrow.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Is there a trailer back there?

People tow #3500 with a FEH, nobody cares about what the manufacturer suggested limits are.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Stopping may dictate the towing weight, not "towing"..

Stopping...towed weight shifts forward, down on rear of FEH, effectively "lifting" primary braking tires.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Feral Engineer

I pull a 1200# egg camper with mine. It pulls it like nothing. I am in the precess of adding electric brakes to the trailer just to add a margin of safety.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Enthusiast

From Las Cruces to Albuqurque, BMW motorcycle on trailer. 1240 pound trailer, 500+ pound bike. Very hilly drive, and on this day it was even more windy than usual. Steady 60-65 mph on CC most of the way. Average rpms were floating around 2.5-3.5k, peaking at 4.5 on some of the hills, I would turn off CC and keep it around 4kish. Got to destination with no problems averaging 18.3mpg. In that wind, I'll take it. On the way home to El Paso with empty trailer steady 70mph CC most of the way again, average rpms again 2.5-3.5 peaking at 4.5ish on hills, average 22.4mpg.

No issues whatsoever. Handling, braking, acceleration, everything was just dandy. In fact it handled it better than the Ranger did, not too long ago, on the same run with similar weight. I would not hesitate to do it again, and again, and again. I would however want trailer brakes on anything more then 2000 pounds, but I would want that anyway, to save the towing vehicle brakes from doing all the work.

All in all, it did great on this trip. I am impressed with what I just experienced. What a great ride that was.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Slampro
In fact it handled it better than the Ranger did, not too long ago, on the same run with similar weight.
What kind of mileage did the Ranger get on that trip?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Slampro
From Las Cruces to Albuqurque, BMW motorcycle on trailer. 1240 pound trailer, 500+ pound bike. Very hilly drive, and on this day it was even more windy than usual. Steady 60-65 mph on CC most of the way. Average rpms were floating around 2.5-3.5k, peaking at 4.5 on some of the hills, I would turn off CC and keep it around 4kish. Got to destination with no problems averaging 18.3mpg. In that wind, I'll take it. On the way home to El Paso with empty trailer steady 70mph CC most of the way again, average rpms again 2.5-3.5 peaking at 4.5ish on hills, average 22.4mpg.

No issues whatsoever. Handling, braking, acceleration, everything was just dandy. In fact it handled it better than the Ranger did, not too long ago, on the same run with similar weight. I would not hesitate to do it again, and again, and again. I would however want trailer brakes on anything more then 2000 pounds, but I would want that anyway, to save the towing vehicle brakes from doing all the work.

All in all, it did great on this trip. I am impressed with what I just experienced. What a great ride that was.
The concern is regarding emergency braking/maneuvers with the towed weight/inertia.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Enthusiast

I'm not sure of the mpg, it was a couple years ago. The ranger did fine, but the FEH seemed to do better.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Enthusiast

Yes that is understood, and that is also why I would not push it any furter with my FEH. 2000 and under only, and not all the time either. But it sure did fantastic on this trip.