Towing a Ford Escape behind motorhome

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Towing a Ford Escape behind motorhome

Has anyone looked into the ReadyBrake setup? It's all mechanical and they say it can be used on the FEH, and the price is only about $350 on line, seems like pretty easy installation too. I still haven't bought my FEH yet, shopping daily for a used '09-10. I have a Brake Buddy already (the early version) but I don't think it'll work according to the forums and also BB support unless I buy their new "Boost" system.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Escape HEV'08 El Salvador

Another question regarding this thread...
I am aware about the max speed recomended for flat towing a FEH; my qusetion is: what could be damaged if I go faster than 75mph?
thanks a lot.

Last edited by rperla; 02-17-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: wrong typing...
Old 02-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast

I think there would be some tranny damage by towing too fast, may overheat the fluid but I'm not an expert on that for sure. In reality I don't even drive the motorhome faster than 65, so it doesn't matter to me. In Calif the speed limit is 55 when towing anything.

This is all academic for me at this point, I found my Escape and bought my slightly used 2010 a week ago. A deal I couldn't pass up....but it's a V6, not the hybrid. All green issues aside, with my driving style I would never save enough gas to catch up to the difference in purchase price. I can tow it up to 65 mph according to the manual plus I can use my existing Brake Buddy.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rperla
Another question regarding this thread...
I am aware about the max speed recomended for flat towing a FEH; my qusetion is: what could be damaged if I go faster than 75mph?
thanks a lot.
Man, you should never drive that fast while towing anything...

Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

I've been towing my 07 FEH 2wheel drive for 4 years with about 20,000 towing on it, and it tows great. I installed the SMI stay n play brake system, and it works great too. The only problem towing I've ever had was the base plate broke (poor design) and pulled the front grill and plastic panel off........that was $2,000 worth of damage, AAA took care of it. Oh ya, Blue Ox send me a new base plate at no charge and they had redesigned it too..........I don't think it will break. If you have an older base plate from them, be careful, it will break, I talked to another owner and he sent me pics and his broke in exactly the same place as mine, and yes that's were Blue Ox changed the design and installed a gusset.
Brian

Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Enthusiast

I did use a Blue Ox but a later one for the 2010-11, so I think it is the heavier one. I installed it myself and it has 8 hardened bolts plus a safety cable wrapped around the frame. I think it'll be ok. I've pulled it only once so far, 180 miles and it worked fine. As I said, mine is not a hybrid, just the reg V6 and I love it. Had the trans fluid level lowered per factory so I'm not expecting any tranny problems.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Enthusiast

I've been pulling my '08 Mariner 2WD Hybrid behind my motorhome for almost 4 yrs now - - probably close to 30,000 miles. Never had a problem whatsoever - - and I use my 13 year old Brake Buddy as well. The Brake Buddy works just fine - - if you set the brake pressure MUCH lower than normal since the Escape/Mariner's power brakes are always energized. On a "normal" vehicle brake pressure is usually set between 60 and 70 PSI. With the Escape/Mariner it's necessary to reduce the pressure to about 15 PSI.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jerrybb

This is all academic for me at this point, I found my Escape and bought my slightly used 2010 a week ago. A deal I couldn't pass up....but it's a V6, not the hybrid. All green issues aside, with my driving style I would never save enough gas to catch up to the difference in purchase price. I can tow it up to 65 mph according to the manual plus I can use my existing Brake Buddy.
Sorry to hear it.
I have a 2008 4WD hybrid. A couple years ago I had to rent a car for a trip I routinely make (about 5 h drive) and they gave me a 2008 V6 Escape. It used almost TWICE the gas for that trip as my hybrid, driving the same speed. And that was freeway driving.
I haven't done the math, but I think that would add up.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by jerrybb
I did use a Blue Ox but a later one for the 2010-11, so I think it is the heavier one. I installed it myself and it has 8 hardened bolts plus a safety cable wrapped around the frame. I think it'll be ok. I've pulled it only once so far, 180 miles and it worked fine. As I said, mine is not a hybrid, just the reg V6 and I love it. Had the trans fluid level lowered per factory so I'm not expecting any tranny problems.
Some are still burning up the transaxles even with the lowered ATF level and the rumored added baffle while flat towing.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

to tow a ford escape behind a motor home, they say to go to the dealer and have the transmission fluid level lowered. My question is; do you have to refill the transmission then when you use it?
Deryl
Rockport,TX

Quick Reply: Towing a Ford Escape behind motorhome

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands