Towing a U-Haul...they think I can pull this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 AM
HEV's are your friend
Question Towing a U-Haul...they think I can pull this?

So I am starting my move from Connecticut to Florida. We are looking at renting a U-Haul to tow behind my 06 FEH. According to the U-Haul Site, they say I can tow a 6x12 trailer behind it

I have a Class III hitch, which is rated at Weight Carrying 3,500lbs TW of 350.

In all the threads I read, I know people have towed more than the 100lbs stated capacity of their FEH...however on that long of a drive I am worried about maxing out the FEH with over 113k miles on it

What do people think for options?

It says it is a tandem axle with surge brakes.
  • Empty weight: 1,920 lbs
They also have a few smaller options, however I would like to get the best bang for the trip if possible.

The 5x10 size trailer says it has hydraulic surge brakes
  • Empty weight: 1,250 lbs.
Here is a link to their site:

http://www.uhaul.com/trailers/?src=body

Thoughts?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Towing a U-Haul...they think I can pull this?

The 1920 lb trailer empty will be too much for that "Synergy" drive system in the Escape.

For a short trip 250 miles or so I might try the smaller but at 1250 that's pushing it.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:33 AM
HEV's are your friend

Definitely agree. I read the thread that was about identical to this, for some reason I didn't find it the first time I ran a search.

I think that towing the smaller trailer from u-Haul is do-able

Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 PM

Contact John (gpsman1). I recall he posted extensive results on his trailering towing experiences with FEH.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I've towed a 7W x 12L x 8H that was about 3300 pounds.

I could comfortably go 55 MPH. 60 MPH the car was about maxed out.
Winds will slow you down below those limits.

65 MPH was all but impossible unless on downgrade.

MPG was 16 MPG to 21 MPG. 18 to 19 MPG was most common.

Nothing got "hot" on a 65-70 degree day ( no A/C use ).
The electric motors were on the "warm" side but within limits. ( 260 degrees and they shut down at just over 400 degrees )

Really, though, I'd rent the second size down.
The largest one wieghs too much empty. You will over load with the big trailer after you get your belongings in it.

HTH,
-John

Old 02-01-2010, 06:19 PM

GPSman1 does tow heavier loads than expected or recommended for the FEH. He also has his trailer brakes that work in tandem with his vehicle. I believed he tapped into a "green" brake wire to make this work. It may take him a while to respond as he is on the road working.

Eric, what are you planning to put into the U-Haul and do you know how much weight this will add? Do you have experience towing loads such as this? What Interstate route(s) are you planning to utilize and what is the terrain? Would it be safer and easier to rent a U-Haul truck to carry the household stuff and pull the Escape Hybrid behind it?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:24 PM

This is about the maximum you can comfortably tow.
I've gone larger, but it really bogs the FEH down going larger than this:

Fontal wind area is perhaps worse than weight.
Get one that is a little lower and you won't regret it.
This one is murder on MPG and a power drain due to wind, and I only use it for short(er) trips.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:43 AM
HEV's are your friend

I have my Q endorsement for Fire Apparatus, and experience towing boats and landscaping trailers...so I think that qualifies :-)

I am not planning on moving the whole house this trip, just a few key items such as a futon frame, futon mattress, and a fair amount of art, and random boxes with linens.

I like the covered models that U-Haul rents, as that would protect the cargo from the elements, and make it much easier when we stop to eat etc. The plan is to drive straight through as we have done in the past, takes about 23 hours. This would be using major highways, mostly 95 after we get out of New York.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:54 PM

30 yrs military service, 19 moves, usually a double axle 6x12 uhaul behind a Suburban. Comfortable, but upper end of capability for a Suburban (1/2 ton).

An FEH with a double axle 6x12 behind it? Like a dog that finally catches the car... what does it do now. Bad idea...

Towed a uhaul single axle 5x8 last summer w/an 06 FEH, comfortable, no sweat, even on the steep grades (like the 7% x 7 mile grade in WV on I-64). Don't push the speed or acceleration, but an 06 FEH has the gumption unless you're hauling uranium.

Watch the lights. You need a separate supply for the trailer lights. Otherwise the "smart" circuit monitors will turn off the marker lights & turn signals on you because it thinks you've got a ground.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney

Watch the lights. You need a separate supply for the trailer lights. Otherwise the "smart" circuit monitors will turn off the marker lights & turn signals on you because it thinks you've got a ground.
I found this NOT to be the case in my 2005 FEH.
I simply crimped onto the the rear light wires and everything has been ok for 5000 miles of total towing over 1 year and about 6-7 trips.

Experiment on your own and see what happens.
Worse case senario, you'll blow a 50 cent fuse or two.

HTH,
-John

Quick Reply: Towing a U-Haul...they think I can pull this?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands