Unfortunate electrical problem (from speaker install)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Unfortunate electrical problem (from speaker install)

Hi Everyone,

I experienced a weird problem to which perhaps someone here would have an answer. A few days ago, I installed some new speakers in my 06 FEH. I had the radio on the whole time during the install. I got the rear doors without a hitch.

On the front passenger door, I began to attach the first wire, when I heard a -pop- sound that emanated from the driver's side. The radio then stopped working, and the info screen under the tach said something like "brake problem - pull off the road asap (paraphrase) - take vehicle to service center."

I then tried to start the vehicle (by this time, the radio was running about three hours) and the engine would not start. I looked at various fuses (radio, instrument panel, subwoofer, maybe one or two others -all to no avail). All this from attaching a speaker wire? I've attached speakers incorrectly before (other vehicles), and the worst that happened was reversing the phase of the sound.

Does anyone have a good response as to what happened here (other then the obvious)? I haven't tried jumping the car (thinking the battery waas dead -how ironic-), nor have I done anything diagnostic.

I know I should have disconnected the battery before installing the speakers, but I ignored the warnings. I honestly didn't think it was a big deal.

I was thinking about disconnecting the battery now, thinking it would reset whatever condition that occurred. Any help would be great. I guess the worst that could happen is I call a tow truck and have the dealer install whatever -popped- and reset the ECU. TIA.

Jim

Last edited by deputyjim; 10-14-2006 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Formatting and inclusion of a few new sentences.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:28 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Unfortunate electrical problem (from speaker install)

Judging by the message that appeared on the info screen, it seems like something else (outside the sound system) blew. Was it "running" or was the key in the ON position rather than the ACC position? If so I'd be even more inclined to think this.

I would check ALL your fuses, as it might be one that seems unrelated to the stuff you were working on.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deputyjim
and the info screen under the tach said something like "brake problem - pull off the road asap (paraphrase) - take vehicle to service center."
The computer detected a very serious fault. So serious, that "limp home" mode wasn't even an option. Basically, the computer will attempt to keep the vehicle running just long enough for you to be able to safely pull over to side of the road and stop. After that, everything is solidly shut down.

However, I agree that it is more likely you just blew a fuse, and that is causing a false error detection.

I would try checking fuse #34. If that is OK, then check uses #5 and #27. If not those, then as already suggested, check them all including the ones under the front hood.

Of course, in hind sight, having the radio 'on', while working on the radio's wiring, isn't a very good idea.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:22 AM
Enthusiast

Wow! I hope that you figure it out, Jim.

I replaced all four of my speakers with no problems. But I bought the adapter wiring harnesses from Crutchfields, so there was no wire stripping or wrapping, just plugging things in. I also had everything turned off when I did it. I did not, however, disconnect the battery. It never occured to me to do this for a speaker install since I wasn't running anything in the car while installing.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would suggest disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes in hopes the ECU "forgets".

Old 10-15-2006, 10:21 AM

Hi Jim

My guess is you somehow caused a ground fault with the ignition switch on. At anypoint, you need to reset the DTC (diagnostic trouble code) if you think the fault is no longer present. If you didn't damage the PCM, things should clear up when you disconnect the ground cable for longer than 5 minutes. See my post at
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...4068#post14068 for details on resetting KAM and DTC's.

In addition, if your HV battery is below 40%, the generator/motor will not start the ICE. If this is the problem, you need to follow the jump start proceedure outlined in the owner's manual. The HV battery can power the accessories and drain it down with the ignition switch on BTW.

GaryG

Edit - Sorry, had to change 5 seconds to 5 minutes above.

Last edited by GaryG; 10-15-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Unfortunate electrical problem (from speaker install)

Thanks for all the responses. I've yet to figure things out (it's a long story, but suffice it to say I was recently severely wounded in Iraq and consequently have lots of hospital appointments), but one of the side effects I observed was that the HV (front) battery (seemingly) went dead. I jumped the battery, and the vehicle started, but when I came back the next day, the vehicle was dead again. All from a -simple- speaker install.

So, tomorrow morning, I'll head out to the vehicle and jump it again. I'm a little confused about whether I should disconnect the (new) front passenger speaker, or leave it in there and finish the install with the driver-side speaker. I bought a set of Kenwood two-ways, but I've been reading aboud component speakers, leading me to two questions:

1) are the front pair component (woofer in door and tweeter in window corner) or two separate speakers?

2) should I take it to the dealer, since I heard that pop sound?

My setup, when finished, won't be complicated, but I am replacing just about everything; speakers all around (with the outstanding issue of the fron pair (component or integrated), tweeters(?), sub-woofer (same paltry size), amp (which I'll have Best Buy install) and head unit (already installed, w/Ipod, Sirius, and maybe HD.

Anyway, I greatly appreciate the help from all who responded. Thanks again.

Jim

BTW, WaltPA, thanks for the advice about keeping stuff disconnected. I learned my lesson from these cascading events.

Last edited by deputyjim; 10-19-2006 at 05:06 PM. Reason: comment to WaltPA
Old 10-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Actually, the HV (330V) battery is the one in the rear, and if the vehicle won't start, it's because that one is dead. The 12V (front) battery doesn't start this vehicle as it does in conventional ones. When you do the "jump" start - the one that takes something like 8 minutes - you're actually using the 12V to juice up the HV battery enough to start the vehicle.

Regarding speakers, if you have tweeters in the window sail, then you have component speakers.... separate components. "Two-way" or "three-way" speakers where they're all together in one unit may also be component speakers (though most are not), if each of the speakers is fed separate inputs. So if you have a crossover, they're components. I never heard the factory component speakers, but my guess is that going with two-ways instead, would sound worse. Not only would you lose the separation of highs & mid-lows, you'd lose the highs coming from a much better speaker placement in the sails.