Used HCU won't accept new VIN

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Used HCU won't accept new VIN

I have an Escape Hybrid 2007, and live in Baja. My HCU failed (no brakes at all), so my mechanic installed a used HCU in my escape, but says he gets an error where the HCU is associated with another VIN number.m
Is this true, and is there a way to fix this or a work around anyone knows of?

Old 08-31-2016, 04:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Used HCU won't accept new VIN

He will need to use Ford IDS software to enter the correct VIN and As-Built data into the replaced HCU module. This will need to be done before the PCM will recognize the HCU and for him to be able to perform the bleed process.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:20 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wreckedcarz
He will need to use Ford IDS software to enter the correct VIN and As-Built data into the replaced HCU module. This will need to be done before the PCM will recognize the HCU and for him to be able to perform the bleed process.
Just so I can tell the mechanic, is this done with the HCU connected to the car, or outside of the car?

Old 08-31-2016, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

He needs to do the programming with the module installed in the vehicle.
He will need to have the Ford IDS software and a VCM to connect to the vehicle.
He will also need the as-built data for the ABS/HCU when the vehicle left the factory.
If he is versed in the IDS he can inhale the as-built data from the original module and exhale it into the module after he installs it.
After he installs the module he will need to use IDS to do the brake bleeding which is a very long and problematic process.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wreckedcarz
He needs to do the programming with the module installed in the vehicle.
He will need to have the Ford IDS software and a VCM to connect to the vehicle.
He will also need the as-built data for the ABS/HCU when the vehicle left the factory.
If he is versed in the IDS he can inhale the as-built data from the original module and exhale it into the module after he installs it.
After he installs the module he will need to use IDS to do the brake bleeding which is a very long and problematic process.
Thank you very much for this information. I have a much better idea of the process now.
It appears that the salvaged HCU I ordered was dropped by UPS and may have been damaged.
I am in the process of ordering another HCU, possibly a brand new one.
My mechanic told me today, that using the Ford IDS he was unable to get any communication from the salvaged HCU. I think this is normal until it's flashed appropriately as per what you have written?

Old 08-31-2016, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast

Even if it was not programmed when he installed it in the vehicle and did a network test he should have gotten a B2900 VIN mismatch and a U2023 External node error which would have been because he had not yet loaded the as-built data and vehicle VIN into the module.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lebdog
Thank you very much for this information. I have a much better idea of the process now.
It appears that the salvaged HCU I ordered was dropped by UPS and may have been damaged.
I am in the process of ordering another HCU, possibly a brand new one.
My mechanic told me today, that using the Ford IDS he was unable to get any communication from the salvaged HCU. I think this is normal until it's flashed appropriately as per what you have written?
What was your final solution to this? Not to hijack but I have a similar issue. Hcu went out, replaced with a used part and still service braking system error. The internal diagnostic check with the HCU kicked in the first 2 times of reconnecting the battery but now no longer even does internal diagnostic on the brakes. I dont have the Ford scan tool to pull up errors, just a basic OBD2 scanner and torque which of course shows no errors. Trying to figure out of the HCU is inopperational because it was not flashed or because it was faulty. Please any assistance is more than welcomed, original poster or otherwise. Fords estimates for repairs total the car and I can not afford the new parts (well over $1000). Desperate at this point. This is my means of transportation for work.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

What causes HCU to break down?

Old 10-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

Once the HCU is replaced you will need Ford IDS software to enter the VIN and as-built data. Then you will need to perform a power bleed which is the only way to purge the air out of the system.
From my limited experience most of the HCU issues are related to the soft hoses at each caliper and not the HCU.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast

Please elaborate on your observation with the flexible hoses. I have replaced deteriorated flexible hoses on conventional braking systems. The deterioration is internal, only visible by cutting the hose open.

I am examining an Escape Hybrid whose HCU failure symptoms on the dash and in brake failure appear after some amount of driving (heat related?). Are you recommending replacement of the hoses before replacing the HCU?

The used parts vendors on ebay are ambiguous regarding HCU vs ABS system modules, partly because it says "ABS" on the module. I have these identifiers:

motor: 7M64-2C555-AA
DE ABS U293
A426G
ATE 25.1201-0013.4

What is the best identifier to use to insure I'm buying the right part?

thanks!

Quick Reply: Used HCU won't accept new VIN

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands