Vibration Over 60 kmh

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Vibration Over 60 kmh

Has anyone noticed a vibration in the seat when driving over 60 kmh?

I took my 2006 FEH to the dealer only to have them tell that this is a normal vibration for all FEH. If this is normal where was it for the first 20,000 Km's. It didn't show up until the apparently fixed my brakes, but that a whole other story.

Can any one let me know if your FEH vibrates. Note the virbration gets worse the faster you go.

Thanks Stan.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Rabid Offroad Enthusiast
Default Re: Vibration Over 60 kmh

A vibration over 60kmh, is NOT normal, at least for my vehicle and the other FEH's I have been in.

There was a limited recall on some drive shafts for 2006 FEH's see:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...e+shaft+recall

You should check to see if your vehicle is one that is effected.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replay no the recall does not apply to my FEH.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would look to see if maybe a weight came off a tire. Speed related vibration is quite often caused by out of balance tires. It's quite possible a weight got knocked off when they did work on your brakes. Don't forget to look on both sides of the rim.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Feral Engineer

Stan, if the tires check out as balanced (dealer should check this for you for free as part of unsatisfactory brake repair), then it could be the wheel needs to be recentered on the hub. To do this, lift the wheel clear of the ground, loosen the lug nuts enough for the wheel to slide freely on the hub and retighten the lugnuts. I'd try this on the front wheels first. If the tire still has the paint dot on it from the factory, put the dot at the 12 o'clock position before you loosen the lug nuts. If no dot remains, it may take several tries to get it optimized.

This works because the hole in the center of the wheel is always bigger than the pilot on the hub and the wheel gets mounted slightly off center as a result. The two diameters have to be slightly different to allow for production machining variability.

Tom

Old 02-19-2007, 05:53 PM

Also Stan, you may have a tire that has problems due to the brake issue you had. The tire could be balanced, but out of round at this point.

You may want to try using your donut to find the bad tire. When the vibration stops, you found the tire causing the vibration. Some Ford dealerships have a tire machine that can index the tire to the rim to help solve out of round rims and tires. You may get them to do that for free since you had a brake problem and if that tire was on that axle.

Bottomline, I think it's a tire that is your vibration problem myself.

GaryG

Old 02-20-2007, 06:35 AM
Feral Engineer

Trying a known good tire in one corner at a time is not a bad idea, but I don't believe the space saver spare is even balanced and, if memory serves me correctly, the center hole is delibrately slightly off center to induce enough vibration to discourage high speed or extended use.

Tom

Old 02-20-2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by travelover
Trying a known good tire in one corner at a time is not a bad idea, but I don't believe the space saver spare is even balanced and, if memory serves me correctly, the center hole is delibrately slightly off center to induce enough vibration to discourage high speed or extended use.

Tom
Tom, you may be right about the center hole, but I had to drive three weeks on my donut waiting for a replacement of the Eco Plus tire in June of '05. Other than a unstable feeling and safely factor, the donut had no vibration problem at high speeds. It turned out that I put over 500 miles on that donut before getting the new Eco Plus on. For that reason, I bought a new FEH rim and tire for a spare.

GaryG