Weird braking issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Weird braking issue

Good morning from sunny and warm Calgary!

I've had some weird braking over the last few days with my 08 AWD FEH. I'll be cruising along and need to slow down, so I engage the brakes and I start to slow as expected, then, out of the blue the brakes disengage (i'm still pressing the peddle), the ABS light flashes for a few seconds and then the brakes kick in again. It has done this a few times over the last few days and have startled both myself and my hubby.

Any possible ideas? Tone Rings? ABS Sensor? The issue appears to happen when braking and then going over a bump in the road but even then is hit and miss.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Weird braking issue

Just talked to the shop I have it in being looked at. Tone Rings are OK however the sway bar links are broken. Perhaps this is the issue?

Old 03-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Feral Engineer

Doubt it is the stabilizer links - they mostly give a clunking sound on bumps when they fail.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

After doing some additional cleaning of the tone rings, the shop found a crack in the front driver side. They're replacing the tone ring today.