What causes the ICE to shut off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default What causes the ICE to shut off?

When normal driving what causes the ICE to shut off when coasting to a stop? Is it the brake switches or the engagement of the regen braking? If it is the brake switches the it might be possible to design an add on system that uses the cruise control cancel steering wheel button to also be used to double tapp and shut the ICE down rather than having to engage the brakes.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What causes the ICE to shut off?

Perhaps the easiest answer is, "It's not that simple".

A number of conditions are being monitored....engine, cat, battery temps, battery state of charge, climate control switches, etc. There's not a simple switch that does it, but rather the value of an algorithim in the chip.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Before finding this site, (like 2 days of driving) I found on my own double tapping normal engagec EV under 40Mph. Now I find if I shift to L, it almost always shuts off on it's own under 40. If L is too much braking, simply shift back up to D after EV engaguges.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:40 PM
N/A

Assuming conditions are right for ICE shutoff, I usually use the two methods I learned from this very forum:

A: Shift to 'L' while moving at or below 40 MPH

B: At or under 40, two slight taps on the brake pedal in about one second. These are very light taps, not even enough to feel the vehicle slow, just enough to tell the pedal you have pressed it. It's like "tap pause tap", done in about the time it takes to say it. Works every time for me, as long as the ICE is ready for shutdown.

What makes it "ready"? That might be another thread altogether.

Basically it means there are no extremes of any conditions, i.e. engine is warmed up and cat is lit, reasonable state of battery charge, reasonable outside temp, no climate control demands, etc.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

What i'm talking about is a work around for the double tap the brakes. I under stand that conditions must be right for ICE shut off, but given those conditions are meet Is it the BPP and BOO switchs or ? that the PCM uses when you double tap the brakes?

Old 07-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Many people have considered this, but none that I know of have tried it.
If you get the time to try, it just might work.

I will tell you however, that a very gentle press of the brake ( in mine ) will not even light the brake lamps, but still trigger EV.
Try it, and let us know! Could be very fun to do!
-John

Old 07-20-2007, 08:21 AM
rb1
Active Enthusiast

Alternative to switching to "L" just to cause ICE shutoff:

Riding the bakes very, very lightly (causing regen to kick in) while coasting to a stop causes the ICE to shut off just like being in "L", except that the moment ICE shuts off you can let go of the brakes and drive like normal in "D".

Old 07-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would also add that on my 08 FEH, at any speed if I just lightly press the brake pedal (LIGHTLY), the ice shuts off after 3-4 seconds. I have never driven the truck in L, nor have I ever "double tapped" to shut off the ice.... It just shuts itself off.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

There is a sensor that measures brake pedal travel for the regn braking. I cannot find a wiring diagram yet of the ABS system so I dont know if the PCM is using this sensor to command a ICE off. My thoughts are that it does not ust the BPTS but uses the conventional brake switches. It sure would be nice to be able to ask onre of the ford engineers.