What temperature will the blend door stay closed below? Also, A/C for battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What temperature will the blend door stay closed below? Also, A/C for battery

Thanks, don't stress over getting the info too quickly, I probably really only need it by spring or so. I swapped my battery and door and it looks like the new door is bad but did try to open and tripped a code when I got the battery hot putting it through its paces whereas the old door didn't really do anything. Unfourtunately the new pack seems to have a bad cell or two, module delta voltage spiked up to about 2volts before regen being disabled when having it floored and letting the state of charge drop to about 35, later dropping much below 45% spiked module delta voltage and disabled assist for a while. On top of that the new fans squeal when they are needed for battery cooling and the car is at city speeds (fans ramp up as you go faster, idle is slowest, highway fastest). So that whole pack is probably going to be swapped out again. I shouldn't have issues with it while it is cold as long as I don't try and run it through its paces though.

If someone could sometime I would be interested to see if you get high module delta voltage at all under full throttle while letting the state of charge get low. This would usually take a few times of flooring it then slowing down with friction brakes then flooring it again.

Last edited by 08escapehybrid; 12-11-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What temperature will the blend door stay closed below? Also, A/C for battery

Originally Posted by 08escapehybrid
Econoline, I don't need anything too specific. I am just wondering a rough range. There's a little panel in the back that you could pop open, if you pull the filter out you'll see the door right under it. I have never seen mine open before when it's 32 degrees, when it's 50 degrees or when it's 70. I know it shouldn't be open if it's hot outside and MAYBE shouldn't be open when it's cold, but I wanted to know if it opens up right when you start the vehicle or only when it is hot. I got the battery to 100 and it didn't open, but it was around freezing outside so maybe at that temp it doesn't want condensation and the a/c would freeze so it's a limbo point?

Anyways, I don't need a lot of specifics, just a few temp points and maybe a scangauge reading to have an idea of what normal is since the manual is kinda sparse.
I'll be looking into this soon and will report back.

The blend door was replaced 7 years and 60k miles ago, but I'm getting the wrench light and DTC for that problem again. Anyone know what triggers the fault, is it just battery temperature or is the door itself monitored? I'm tempted to do what GaryG recommended and just ignore it.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
I'll be looking into this soon and will report back
Just wanted to post an update. I changed the HV battery filter, it was dirtier than expected, got the wrench light one last time and then all is well since then. The BTC and DTC have not cleared but there is no fault being triggered.

I have been monitoring battery temp (BTM) and ambient temp (Tam) on the SG. What I have seen but don't understand is the A/C being commanded on when Tam<BTM. Under that condition I would expect the blend door to open for cooling by outside air, not A/C.

And I still wonder how the system determines that the blend door has faulted.

Old 09-22-2023, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
Just wanted to post an update. I changed the HV battery filter, it was dirtier than expected, got the wrench light one last time and then all is well since then. The BTC and DTC have not cleared but there is no fault being triggered.

I have been monitoring battery temp (BTM) and ambient temp (Tam) on the SG. What I have seen but don't understand is the A/C being commanded on when Tam<BTM. Under that condition I would expect the blend door to open for cooling by outside air, not A/C.

And I still wonder how the system determines that the blend door has faulted.
my first attempt at being helpful... i dont know when or what decides the nlend door operation, i also have never seen it opened and have checked under a million conditions. I am pretty sure the actuator that controlls the blend door had a feedback of some kind, resistive likely. when the door does get commanded open and the system doesn't see the signal it's supposed to it will trigger the fault. there is supposedly a way to command it using ForScan and an appropriate obd2 reader and that's what i was looking for when I came across this. I actually didn't note the date this could be a years old thread lol.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:18 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by 09hybridescape
my first attempt at being helpful... i dont know when or what decides the nlend door operation, i also have never seen it opened and have checked under a million conditions. I am pretty sure the actuator that controlls the blend door had a feedback of some kind, resistive likely. when the door does get commanded open and the system doesn't see the signal it's supposed to it will trigger the fault. there is supposedly a way to command it using ForScan and an appropriate obd2 reader and that's what i was looking for when I came across this. I actually didn't note the date this could be a years old thread lol.

I read this whole thread and had to laugh.

That silly little air door for the battery is sneaky.
If you think it's always closed, here's the thing:

I don't know why, but in the 2005 it was always closed with the car in park. So if you are solo, it's always going to be closed every time you look.

I got desperate to figure this out, like back in 2010 or something.

I tied a washer to a kite string. Then sat the washer on top of the air door. If the air door opened, the washer would fall in, and I could retrieve it with the kite string.

It fell in on my first drive if I remember correctly.

Also, AC chilled the battery between 75 and 85 degrees IF the user was using AC up front to the vents. Otherwise it didn't.

Between 85 and 95 it always ran the AC to
the battery, but still allowed EV mode.

Above 95 degrees, AC was mandatory and EV was disabled until the battery fell below 85.

hope that helps

Old 09-25-2023, 12:29 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I read this whole thread and had to laugh.

That silly little air door for the battery is sneaky.
If you think it's always closed, here's the thing:

I don't know why, but in the 2005 it was always closed with the car in park. So if you are solo, it's always going to be closed every time you look.

I got desperate to figure this out, like back in 2010 or something.

I tied a washer to a kite string. Then sat the washer on top of the air door. If the air door opened, the washer would fall in, and I could retrieve it with the kite string.

It fell in on my first drive if I remember correctly.

Also, AC chilled the battery between 75 and 85 degrees IF the user was using AC up front to the vents. Otherwise it didn't.

Between 85 and 95 it always ran the AC to
the battery, but still allowed EV mode.

Above 95 degrees, AC was mandatory and EV was disabled until the battery fell below 85.

hope that helps
Also maybe the vehicle needs to be in motion.

Maybe to prevent tailpipe fumes from coming inside?

I KNOW the fan speed slows down as MPH slows down.