Wheel bearing failed @ 37000 mile NOT covered by Ford

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:03 AM
Enthusiast
Angry Wheel bearing failed @ 37000 mile NOT covered by Ford

The wheel bearing started to make noise and Ford refused to cover this under warranty when the car was 1000 miles over. To add insult to injury they wanted $845. Called Ford customer service I asked the person if he wanted the Vin # of the 5 other Ford vehicles I owned. He said he understood that I was a good loyal customer. Waited three days for him to finally call me back and say that he could not do anything for me.

If this is how Ford treats loyal customers it is no wonder they are in financial trouble ! Wheel bearing should not fail @ 37,000 miles. To add more insult I tried to schedule this for a recall with the dealer I bought it from two weeks earlier. The service person said he would call me back when he new he could get the parts. Two weeks later I read in the paper that the dealership was closing. I guess this would explain why he did not know when he could get the parts for a recall. The moron at Ford customer service suggested that I take it to the dealer I bought it from ! I had already told him they blew me off and I was not taking it to a dealership that was closing. I also told the customer service person had the original dealer not delayed me I would have had the vehicle in before 36,000 miles. There inaction and they want me to pay.

In 37,000 miles I had this vehicle services for recalls or failures 4 times, not to reliable. Once was for the battery cooler. Battery cooler failed ( A/C line corroded and lost the charge) and there was no alarm, nothing. I noticed the battery cooler fan running all the time. I guess if I had not noticed and the battery failed I would have been screwed by Ford again.

This vehicle also does not have a good resale value, I got $13,000 on trade for a vehicle that was 3 years old and had a $29,000 sticker. Bought a Chevrolet HHR and it cost 1/2 as much and gets better gas mileage.

I have a goal to tell 1000 people how Ford screwed me with this POS. To date I have told ~ 150 people, I am mad as hell and not going to take it anymore. Ford has pissed off the wrong person.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Wheel bearing failed @ 37000 mile NOT covered by Ford

Originally Posted by ctdeng0

Bought a Chevrolet HHR and it cost 1/2 as much and gets better gas mileage.

What kind of gas mileage did you get with your Escape and what is the HHR providing?

Old 12-31-2007, 07:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had an Escape as well, along with 3 other Fords. Now I have 2 Hondas in my driveway for the same reasons you described.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

I understand your frustration, but honestly how many other car companies would cover almost $1000 in repairs on a vehicle after the warranty period expires?

Old 12-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oscars2212
I understand your frustration, but honestly how many other car companies would cover almost $1000 in repairs on a vehicle after the warranty period expires?
How many other companies would have $1000 dollars worth of repairs in 37,000 miles?

Old 12-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Enthusiast

Thing is this was to replace both front wheel bearing ! I told the service person that only the driver side is making noise, Why do you say that both sides need changing ?

This is obviously a common problem with Escapes. I verified I could buy the wheel bearing for $35. The dealer was replacing the complete hub (so he could save labor). I got an estimate for $170 to replace the one bad bearing. A lot different then $845. If you search the Ford forums you will see many complaints about wheel bearing on Escapes.

The universal response when I tell people about this is "They would not cover this under warranty ?" I have heard many people tell me that dealers have "Good willed" repairs that were just outside the warranty.

to Billyk: I was getting between 28 and 32 MPG with the Escape. The HHR is getting 29 to 35 MPG. The best I got was 40.1 MPG on a 80 mile trip with the HHR, on the Escape the best I got was 34 MPG.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Now I'm glad I paid the extra for the extended warranty. Sorry you had such a bad experience.

The thing is these quality issues seem to come in cycles -- and the problem is that reports like these are a following indicator, not a leading indicator. I hear all sorts of problems these days about Toyotas -- they used to rule the world when it came to low service. I guess we won't know until the current crop of FEHs age sufficiently.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi John:

First time here, eh? Welcome! Did you read Pravis Prime's FAQ's yet?

Sorry about your troubles. Just searched GH's FEH forum and you're the only wheel bearing problem here. Maybe not really ready for a class action suit yet, eh?

If yours is a '06 bought in summer of '06 or later I think you have 60k warranty.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about your wheel bearing issues, nobody likes to hear this stuff.

I frequent alot of forums, from audio/electronics to hot rods etc...this post is no different than any of the other 1000's out there where someone hates a product and a hundred more people can easily speak up to say how great it is...blah blah you hate Ford now, enjoy your Chevy, I like having blue ovals in my driveway.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:27 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

This is the FIRST time I have heard of the wheel bearing issue in a Ford Escape Hybrid, and I've been reading all the FEH blogs since early 2005.

This is a very rare problem for a Hybrid Escape.

I know that doesn't make you feel better when it happens to you.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing failed @ 37000 mile NOT covered by Ford

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands