Wheel size

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 11:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Wheel size

I've had a continual interference problem with the OEM wheels (16"). On my drivers front the wheel and brake caliper have had scraping ever since I replaced the brake pads. Done a lot of work to try and clear it, but to no avail.

Anyone out there change over to 17" wheels? Do they fit within the wheel well and not interfere on sharp turns?

Appreciate it.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Wheel size

Sounds like you got the wrong brake pads, no reason the 16" wheels won't clear the 11" front discs. IIRC, hybrids use a slightly different metallic pad to work with regen braking.
Also I remember some of the later FEHs had a 'limited' trim with 17" wheels. If the wheel's offset is the same (probably is) you might still have the same brake clearance problem with them.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:40 PM

The issue as I've found it is unique to the front drivers side wheel location. It is also a radial clearance issue not a wheel offset issue. Roger the brake pad side of it, this has followed through several changes of pads and I've followed through on getting the right ones... (Note that the problem doesn't clear with pad wear or disc wear).

Anyway several places note that 17" rims are usable. Curious as to others experience.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Seems to me if there was a clearance problem with the brake calipers (?) , it would happen at all speeds and steering angles.
Might be cheaper to fix your disc calipers/rotors or possible issues with suspension rather than a getting a whole different set of wheels and tires and still have a problem IMO.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:51 PM

It does happen at all speeds & all angles of steering. As it happens I've replaced calipers, rotors, & pads. In some cases several times over.

One shouldn't jump to conclusions... IMHO

Oh yeah... in case you're thinking of telling me to swap the wheels around... I've done that also.

Oh yeah... I've replaced the wheel bearing, too.

Oh yeah... when I put the spare on, it disappears, too.

It's either replace the wheels next or the knuckle.

Still looking to hear if someone's changed up to 17" wheels & their experience.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:16 AM

After all was said & done...

Problem fixed by replacing the caliper bracket & guide pins. Apparently both were slightly bent. Replacing the bracket reduced the interference noise and the guide pins eliminated the noise. Gonzo...

Old 04-13-2015, 04:47 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
After all was said & done...

Problem fixed by replacing the caliper bracket & guide pins. Apparently both were slightly bent. Replacing the bracket reduced the interference noise and the guide pins eliminated the noise. Gonzo...
Thanks for the follow through - may help others in the future.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast

I also use it. and all is fine.