when to use L range in FEH

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default when to use L range in FEH

I am wondering if there is a thread discussing the use of L vs D range. I have discovered when in L it slows up the FEH without using brakes in stop and go town traffic. I could not seem to find anything about it in the on line operators manual. Thanks for some information.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Default Re: when to use L range in FEH

Originally Posted by eldiee
I am wondering if there is a thread discussing the use of L vs D range. I have discovered when in L it slows up the FEH without using brakes in stop and go town traffic. I could not seem to find anything about it in the on line operators manual. Thanks for some information.
I wrote this article a few years ago on "Hypermiling The Ford Escape Hybrid" for the owner of http://www.cleanmpg.com/ The article discusses "L" gear, but if you need more information just ask. Do not drive in "L" all the time because the FEH is more efficient driving in "D" under normal circumstances. This article is not meant for the '09 and newer FEH because of new programming. The article is on the Home Page to the far right.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350

GaryG

Old 08-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Gary! Probably take me awhile to digest some of your knowledge on the FEH. We really like it except the belt driven air conditioner vs our Prius electric driven unit. I guess if we wanted that part bad enough we could have gone in debt for a 2010 FEH. I thought for less than one half the cost of a 2010 we could get a loaded 2006. Besides we will use it more in colder weather. Do people use grill blocks in FEH like they do in a Prius? I know that on Priuschat they discuss blocking the grill in cold climates. Thanks again.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

. Do people use grill blocks in FEH like they do in a Prius?

Yes. Unlike the Prius, your 06 FEH has a hybrid battery heater that can be utilized with option 41H--if you have this option installed.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

You found all there is about it... it slows down the car by sending charge to the battery. It isn't a "Range" as on normal cars. I use it all the time to slow down, as you do, and to keep speed in down grades. Keep in mind that once you battery is full, the car will start sending all that extra power to turn the gas engine, at which point if it start going too high on revs I turn back to D again for a while and use my brakes a bit.

But it does not have any kind of "reduction" to help you go up hills or anything, it's more like an electric brake.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Eager Novice Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eldiee
Do people use grill blocks in FEH like they do in a Prius? I know that on Priuschat they discuss blocking the grill in cold climates. Thanks again.
If it helps, here are the steps that I followed when I put my grill block on:
https://sites.google.com/site/feh07a/

Old 08-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info on your grill block. The pictures are great!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsalva11
You found all there is about it... it slows down the car by sending charge to the battery. It isn't a "Range" as on normal cars. I use it all the time to slow down, as you do, and to keep speed in down grades. Keep in mind that once you battery is full, the car will start sending all that extra power to turn the gas engine, at which point if it start going too high on revs I turn back to D again for a while and use my brakes a bit.

But it does not have any kind of "reduction" to help you go up hills or anything, it's more like an electric brake.
I like to add, that like PRIUS "B" 'downshift', a slight tap on brake gives even stronger
regenerative braking. Not sure if FEH is similar but I have seen at least FEH display
gives BIGGER arrow showing more energy into hybrid battery. Since Ford uses 80% of Prius patents; I wonder how variable the regeneration mode can be exercised to eliminate almost all brake pad wear!! CDbear

Old 08-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

An old thought:

"Since Ford uses 80% of Prius patents;"---

Ford's hybrid hardware and software was developed independently and is not shared by Toyota.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:07 AM
Eager Novice Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CDbear
I wonder how variable the regeneration mode can be exercised to eliminate almost all brake pad wear!!
I had mine checked at a few months ago at 60,000 miles and the guy asked me when I had them replaced. I smiled and said that I just don't use the friction brakes very often, due in large part to using L and timing traffic lights better than most people. He thought that at that rate they will last to at least 200,000 miles. We'll see, but I am hopeful!

Quick Reply: when to use L range in FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands