Windshield Replacement Under Warranty

Old 06-05-2007, 05:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Windshield Replacement Under Warranty

When I bought my Escape last July, (I think) the salesman told me that in the first 12 months a cracked windshield was replaced free under the warranty. The warranty does mention this, but it is very vague. Has anyone had experience with replacing a Ford windshield under the warranty in the first 12 months? My windshield was cracked yesterday and before I pay to have it replaced, I want to make sure Ford won't do it under the warranty.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Windshield Replacement Under Warranty

Originally Posted by Richmond72
When I bought my Escape last July, (I think) the salesman told me that in the first 12 months a cracked windshield was replaced free under the warranty. The warranty does mention this, but it is very vague. Has anyone had experience with replacing a Ford windshield under the warranty in the first 12 months? My windshield was cracked yesterday and before I pay to have it replaced, I want to make sure Ford won't do it under the warranty.
Sounds bogus to me. I had a windshield rock strike result in a crack within the first month or so of ownership... I was, in fact, on the way to the dealership to pick up my permanent plates, so I mentioned it. I have an '06 and maybe your dealer added a "freebie" but if it's not in writing anywhere, I'd say you were fed a line -- car salesman, after all!

I had my glass 'repaired' (it was a year ago and the repair has kept the crack from spreading, but it doesn't look nearly as 'invisible' or 'clean' a repair as it did in the first 4-6 mos. or so) under the glass claim portion of my auto policy. Since the vehicle was less than a couple months' old, I was reluctant to replace the windshield (even if it had been an option under my auto policy; the crack wasn't big enough... if I recall right they compare it to the size of a dollar bill... smaller than that != windshield replacement, at least under my old auto policy. I have a different insurer now (back to USAA; was with Progressive for awhile.)

Old 06-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Windshield Replacement Under Warranty

Heh, I had it happen twice, once when it was new, and ended up having the windshield replaced due to damage, and once on the way out to hybridfest, when I had it repaired; there's only the tiniest of marks in the bottom drivers side corner now.

The dealer didn't do anything about either, but they did refer me to someone who did it for cheap and easy.