Winter Tires: Nokian WR tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Winter Tires: Nokian WR tires

I'm looking for feedback(yours or a weblink) on this brand of tires for winter/colder seasonal useage. I know better than to use the stock Continental tires year round. My previous automobiles were front wheel drive wagons with snow tires that only last three seasons of three months useage before requiring replacement. I would like to have exceptional snow handling and extended durability (5 seasons of 4-5 month useage?).

Tirerack doesn't carry Nokian brand tires. In fact Nokian are difficult to find on-line if one wants to do price shopping. Tirerack does carry a competitor to the Nokian WR tire (Goodyear triple tread).

Any thoughts?

Old 07-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Winter Tires: Nokian WR tires

I really think you should try one winter with the stock tires. You will probably be pleasantly surprised. Tire tread pattern is only part of your winter driving ability. Weight distribution and power management also play huge roles.

You would be foolish to replace the tires without trying them in winter first.
I live near Denver, and have a FWD only, and go to the mountains snow skiing almost every weekend from November to April. I think I drive in more snow and ice than you will see in your area. I have been 100% impressed with how well my car performs with the stock tires. These are not cheapo tires. Your FEH came with high quality, 80,000 mile all terrain tires. Give them a chance to impress you!
-John

Old 07-08-2007, 09:03 PM

John, you may be correct about the stock tires. Your comment about it is not only tires but power management and weight distribution is something that I did not think about. I have driven 20 plus winters with snow tires and it will seem strange not to have a set of snow tires in the house. I'm looking for feedback (free advise?) to help make a decision. If I do purchase a set of Nokian WR tires, I still plan on keeping my Continental tires which have all 3040 miles on them.

Your location receives more snow than mine in southwestern Pa. However, I'm orginally from the Midwest and one of my winter hang-outs "averages" 238 inches of snow a year!

Old 07-08-2007, 10:10 PM

This car will shift people's paradigms given enough time.
-John

Old 07-09-2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
You will probably be pleasantly surprised.

I seriously doubt that. Although the ECO + are not the worst tires I have ever used in slippery conditions, I was definitely NOT impressed with their Winter performance.......(& I've been driving in a heavy snow area for over 30 years)

~John

Last edited by jmorton10; 07-09-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:19 PM

Maybe it's the driver then.
I probably have better winter driving skills than you, if you say the tires are so poor. Or maybe nothing impresses you?
( Just Kidding of Course! )

Last edited by gpsman1; 07-11-2007 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Added "Just kidding of course."
Old 07-09-2007, 07:39 PM

Oops! We were talking about the tires. The file attachment shows a closeup of three tires: Michelin X-Ice (winter tires), Nokian WR (all season) and Continental EcoPlus (all season). The first two have multiple cross sipes in the tread. I believe these cross sipes are designed to improve "grip" in winter like conditions. The lack of or minimum number of cross sipes in the Continental EcoPlus tires could partially explain the slipping and sliding some posters have experienced. This tread design difference is the main reason I am considereing another set of tires for winter condition and wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Nokian WR tires.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Winter Tires.doc (151.0 KB, 346 views)
Old 07-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've never heard of Nokian, but I had Blizzaks on one of my Mustangs in the past. Those are some great winter tires.

I've been through one heavy snowstorm on the Contis and I thought they did a great job. I say give them a chance. If you don't like them you can always get the snow tires and switch them out. Besides, with global warming it won't be much longer before PA doesn't get snow.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:26 PM

Maybe I should try the conti's before buying other tires but instinct tells me to buy snow tires.

As for global warming and no snow falling in Pa. Don't believe it. Certain areas can get socked with snowfall. Since the 2000 year, there has been two winter ski seasons with over 200 inches of snowfall! One of the places I ski at averages nearly 125 inches a season while another (near Lake Erie) averages nearly 90 inches. The Pa cities you have heard of, normally do not receive anywhere near this much snowfall.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 PM

Of course there are tires better than the stock ones.
However, if you never ever get stuck in the snow with the stock tires, are "other" tires actually any better for you? You can pay $1000 per tire if you wish. You still can't improve upon getting stuck zero times per winter!
-John

Quick Reply: Winter Tires: Nokian WR tires

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands