Wrench Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Wrench Light

I have a 2006 Escape with 54,000 miles and wanted to add this thread on the wrench light. For last several months the wrench light/service engine soon has been coming on intermittently. Put it in shop at Ford dealer for servicing and when technician got around to looking at it the wrench light was off. Picked it up next morning and before I drove it off of lot, it came back on. That is how intermittent it is. Dealer hooked it up to computer, but then had to call Ford for help to diagnosing problem. Ford's diagnosis was the BCM ("Battery Control Module") had to be reprogrammed/updated. Apparently Ford has determined that their original program for the vehicle has a flaw, so they developed a fix. My only problem is the dealer is charging me $350 to reprogram/reflash it. No parts are being replaced, only updated program being installed. Complaint to Ford Customer Service was of no use, only the hybrid battery has extended warranty, not a non-lubricated part such as the faulty BCM program Ford designed for it.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Wrench Light

Can't beleive it would cost more than 1 hour of service about $120? Did they give you the TSB # ?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: Wrench Light

Very few things on this car get free replacement.
However, EVERYTHING is negotionable.

Parts have at least 25% buffer of wiggle room for the dealer.
Labor you can negotiate up to 50% off.

If the car is driveable, you have the power to walk away.
Going somewhere else for your work is your best leverage.
In fact, driving to the fringe of where you live, you are very likely to see a dealer happy to see you and give you a fair price.

Also, my pet peave is, and I have used this as leverage to get a lower price...
Just because it is the first time they have seen the problem, ever, it is not my responsibility to pay for their hours of "learning" how to do it.
Do not pay for 3 hours of labor, if 2 hours of that was on the phone or computer with their mechanic "learning" how to do it.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast

I went through pretty much the same thing at about that mileage-
they charged me $125.00 to test it and found "nothing"-it is still doing it
at 85K, usually when it is hot and dry here in CA.
I just turn the car off and turn it back on and it's fine. The dealer told me if I didn't have a "code" they couldn't diagnose or fix it. My 2006 FEH runs great, 32-34 mpg. Glad to be confirmed that it's a software glitch.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Enthusiast

I bought mine used with 20K on it in April 2008, and at 30K miles I started getting the intermittent wrench light. Since it was still under warranty, I had the dealer diagnose it, but they couldn't get it to work, and replaced the rear door actuator switch (which has to do with the battery fan), though there was no indication there was a problem. It didn't fix anything; the wrench light continued to come on intermittently.

I'm now up to 80K miles, and the wrench light still comes on intermittently; there's not rhyme or reason to it, and I've got a mechanic friend who has run diagnostics and gotten different error codes every time. He did some research and found that common mechanic word is that it's a glitch regarding the throttle alignment? I don't know. It doesn't seem to make a difference in my car's performance at all, and I'll be darned if I'm paying Ford what they want to guess at it.