2005 Roof Rack

Old 07-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2005 Roof Rack

Has anyone installed roof rack on their 2005 Accord Hybrid? I have been looking at the various Thule options and the Honda rack. I need more space to take my son off to college.

Thanks.

P.S. 20,000 and I still love the car. Wish it had a better stereo but have never gotton around to working on that.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 Roof Rack

I'm considering an HAH. What's wrong with the stereo?

Old 07-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

For the cost of buying a roof rack for the mere purpose of helping your son move to college... just ship it! It'll be a lot cheaper than buying a Thule rack.

If you're buying a rack for your personal use, I've heard many people buy a trailer hitch and a bike carrier which attaches to it. That way, the bikes are behind the car, and doesn't have such an adverse effect on fuel economy.

I don't remember the outcome, but I believe there are a few threads here where someone noticed a pretty good hit in fuel economy because of a roof mounted bike rack.

Just more information. Hope it helps.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:42 AM
Enthusiast

The stereo is a typical factory setup that cannot compare with what a custom installer can do. My old 1994 Wagon has a custom system that sounds much better, in a much noiser car, than does the system in the HAH. Don't let this stop you buying the car though! I just have not had the time to work on an upgrade and would be just as irritated with any new car...at least those that I can afford.

Unfortunately the NAV and A/C and heating controls are integrated on the touch screen. Also the noise cancellation associated with going to 3 cylinders is pumped through the system. Upgraded requires either some compromises or fancy footword by the installer. The batteries are right behind the back seat as well so a popular location for a sub is a bit constrained.

I will eventually upgrade but will probably have to give up the noise cancellation. Something like a JL Audio Clean Sweep is probably the way I will go with upgraded speakers in the factory location and a sub that feeds through the existing location of the 6x9's in the rear deck. I will have less trunk space but better sound.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:45 AM
Enthusiast

Good point on the shipping. I have been considering renting a, gasp, mini-van for the day as an alternative. A one way rental for him and his stuff with us in my car might be a good way to go as well.

It would be interesting to see what the mileage impact is. I could go with a bag instead of a hard box and then stick it in the trunk on the way back.

Thanks.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Enthusiast

I got the Thule rack after buying a mountain bike and I went with roof rather than trunk rack so I could put my surfboard up there too. I plan to get one of those front deflector things since the rack whistles really loudly. I agree, it's not really worth it for one trip since all together, rack, bike tray, locks it ran me about 400 bucks and I still haven't gotten the wind deflector. I'm still trying to work out the difference in mileage, but the 1-2 mpg less I've been getting with the rack could be due to running the AC a little more often lately and making more short trips lately.