2007 Honda Accord hybrid battery spec?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 Honda Accord hybrid battery spec?

looking for maximum and minimum voltage and current, charging and discharge rate, and also overcharging protection. anyone can help me find this for 2004 -2009 a honda accord hybrid NiMH battery. Thanks

Old 01-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Honda Accord hybrid battery spec?

Accord Hybrid in the U.S. was from 2005-2007.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...=2004091736411

144V nominal (120 cells * 1.2V/cell).

Empty: 120V (0% charge)
Full immediately after charge: ~168V (100% charge)

The car limits battery use between 20% and 80% capacity to maximize life and prevent cycle damage, so voltage will be further restricted.

These cells are the same cells used in other Honda Hybrids, and the discharge current is 100A, charge 50A. However, these are very short duration and temperature limited. I have personally tested HCH2 sticks (identical to Accord) at 90A discharge for 60 seconds.

There is no inherent overcharging protection in the cells themselves. They will vent. the car will not deliberately charge the batteries to above 80%, and the BCM counts current in and out to compare to voltage change.

It might help to know why you want this information.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

thanks for the help its for school project how to charge a hybrid battery for a honda accord

Old 01-03-2015, 07:21 PM

Exercise extreme caution. There are 120 "D" cell batteries in the pack, and they all behave independently from one another. The car can only keep track of 10 groups of 12 batteries, i.e., 12 voltages.

That said, the car can at least keep track of those 10 groups of 12 and prevent a catastrophic failure. Without the benefit of the BCM logic, you can quickly and easily destroy a pack.

The generally recognized as safe rate of charge without management is 350mA. Even so, cooling should be utilized.

Steve

Old 01-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you Steve again. The car not been used for while the battery was dead. I removed the battery from the car, the car didn't had a guide manual. i did a research but couldn't find anything thats why i asked, i don't know a lot about the honda Accord battery at first i was planing to get a toyota prius which i have a concert idea but its expensive to get. i got the honda for free. if you have anything that you know about the battery or a link that can help me that will be awesome.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:05 PM

Are you just looking to safely charge it?

Old 10-18-2016, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast

Hi, I have a 2007 Honda Accord Hybrid and I got my check engine (Code P07AF) and IMA light on last week. I showed it to a honda dealer and got it diagnosed. I was told that my IMA battery needs replacement and quoted me some $3100 for replacing it.

The technician also told me that if you dont want to replace the battery, you can continue driving the car but since the check engine light is on, the car wont pass the vehicle inspection.

So I got my car back and thought that I will find some good deals on Hybrid battery and would replace sometime later. However today when I tried to start my car few days back, the car wouldn't start. I got it jump started and it started fine. But today my car again did not start and even jump start didn't help.

Can anyone suggest me if what is the problem? Is it because of Hybrid battery or some problem with starter? Does hybrid battery assist in charging the car?

Thanks much for your help and support.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by nemaap
Hi, I have a 2007 Honda Accord Hybrid and I got my check engine (Code P07AF) and IMA light on last week. I showed it to a honda dealer and got it diagnosed. I was told that my IMA battery needs replacement and quoted me some $3100 for replacing it.

The technician also told me that if you dont want to replace the battery, you can continue driving the car but since the check engine light is on, the car wont pass the vehicle inspection.

So I got my car back and thought that I will find some good deals on Hybrid battery and would replace sometime later. However today when I tried to start my car few days back, the car wouldn't start. I got it jump started and it started fine. But today my car again did not start and even jump start didn't help.

Can anyone suggest me if what is the problem? Is it because of Hybrid battery or some problem with starter? Does hybrid battery assist in charging the car?

Thanks much for your help and support.
Definitely a bad hybrid battery (P0A7F).

The hybrid battery is part of the charging system. The car does not have an alternator but relies on a DC-DC converter, the hybrid battery (in part) and the IMA motor acting as a generator.

It sounds like your 12V battery may be bad. I don't know the layout of the 2005-2007 HAH, but there should be an indication if there's a problem with the 12V battery or charging system. In the other Honda Hybrids, it's a red battery icon.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:03 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Definitely a bad hybrid battery (P0A7F).

The hybrid battery is part of the charging system. The car does not have an alternator but relies on a DC-DC converter, the hybrid battery (in part) and the IMA motor acting as a generator.

It sounds like your 12V battery may be bad. I don't know the layout of the 2005-2007 HAH, but there should be an indication if there's a problem with the 12V battery or charging system. In the other Honda Hybrids, it's a red battery icon.

Thanks for your response.

In fact I got the new 12V battery last week when the car didnt start the first time. So looks like from your response that hybrid battery is needed for starting too.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:05 PM

You are incorrect. The Accord like the Insights and Civics all have a secondary 12V starter that will start the car even if the IMA battery is inoperative. It is somewhat common practice to "bypass" the battery in the G1 Insight, HCH1 and HCH2 where the hybrid battery is effectively isolated from the car.

To prove the existence of a 12V starter:

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...7/DR0707OM.pdf

Page 171:
"In cold weather, conventional starter is used instead of the IMA system starter. This is normal."

If your 12V is good, you have more than just IMA battery problems.