2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Mileage at 40mpg

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Mileage at 40mpg

A/C or not, I get 40+ easily, every day. SoCal traffic. I drive in B and with Econ on always.
Sometimes I can get 80-110mpg driving flat for 4 miles near my house. ICE barely comes on during that time.
I get a FULL charge all the time for my battery, esp downhill.

FWIW.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast

I have filled up three times now. 50.4mpg., 50.2mpg., and 47.4mpg.. Live in PA.. I am very easy on the accelerator. And we use the A/C. On the interstate I set cruise to 65mph. We were looking to buy a VW diesel. Glad we didn't. Not paying the premium for diesel fuel. Tom

Old 08-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SL1
Also, when the battery indicator gets near the top, I press the EV button.

I wouldn't do that. The only time I really use the EV button is if I know I'm going to be getting a lot of regen shortly and want to take full advantage of it (i.e. I'm going up a hill and want to make sure the battery is fully depleted at the top of it because it'll regen to full on the way back down).

The dash indicates that it's on, but it only stays on for about 50 yards, and then shuts off.

Unless you're going up a hill, using the throttle heavily, or cruising at 75+ mph, that's a problem. Around town I can easily get a mile or so out of a full or near full charge.

I get 50 mpg pretty easily around town.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dustman
I get a FULL charge all the time for my battery, esp downhill.

Yes, because you drive in B, which I also wouldn't do. Coasting is more efficient than regenerative braking.

B is for going down hills such that you need/want a replacement for engine braking. Using it all the time will result in worse efficiency for virtually everyone.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

I coast down hill whenever possible. And I use "B" also to hold speed. Worst tank so far was 46. I am on fuelly also. Really loving our Hybrid. Tom

Old 08-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tango
I coast down hill whenever possible. And I use "B" also to hold speed.

Which is the proper way to do it.

I've also seen people that basically use B as a partial brake pedal when coming to lights or whatever, which is pretty pointless. Regen is regen, whether it's being caused by B or by the brake pedal (as long as you're not braking so hard that it engages the actual brakes, obviously) so using B instead of the brake pedal has no real benefit. The only thing it really does it make you less in control of the braking process, which is likely to sometimes result in less coasting, which is going to hurt efficiency.

I've had mid 30s tanks, but it was all 80 mph, up and down hills, with a frequent head wind, and Blizzak snow tires on.

Best tank I've had is 51.1, but I drive almost exclusively highway. If I was 100% city I bet I'd be averaging 52-55 MPG. I've had 10+ mile city roundtrips that netted well over 60 mpg.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frankie7
Yes, because you drive in B, which I also wouldn't do. Coasting is more efficient than regenerative braking.

B is for going down hills such that you need/want a replacement for engine braking. Using it all the time will result in worse efficiency for virtually everyone.
Huh???

I drive 100% in "B" and get stellar MPG performance. I use it as prescribed in the owners manual. Works great.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dustman
Huh???

I drive 100% in "B" and get stellar MPG performance. I use it as prescribed in the owners manual. Works great.

The owner's manual tells you to drive 100% in B?

Old 08-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

Owner's manual:
Shift lever positions:
B: Used when driving down a long hill and to increase regenerative braking.
Since we know regenerative braking is less efficient than coasting, this isn't a blanket endorsement to use B all the time. There's practically zero reason to use it for anything other than not wanting to overspeed going down a long hill.

Last edited by Frankie7; 08-10-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frankie7
The owner's manual tells you to drive 100% in B?

Once again, I use as prescribed in the owners manual.

Of significance..."and to increase regenerative braking."

My real world 19k miles MPG stands for itself.

Best!

Quick Reply: 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Mileage at 40mpg

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands