2017 Honda Accord Hybrid initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid initial impressions

Originally Posted by AtlantaRene
I recently bought a new 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid; I have about 700 miles on the odometer and my initial impressions lead me to disappointment.

The car seems to handle well. The gas mileage is impressive. The Horsepower and Torque numbers look great on paper, but I drive in the real world. The car is slow to accelerate, and when you push it, the car starts screaming. These sounds are unbecoming of a $36,700 car.

I find myself in a situation where I am pulling away from traffic lights, looking at the gauges trying to avoid pushing the accelerator so far that the engine races off and freaking out my passengers. What's the point? Why drive an efficient car when you are worried about someone running over you on your trip to 45 mph?

Am I missing something? What's the strategy in driving this car in a way that prevents too much engine noise?

-- AtlantaRene
The strategy is to not care about the engine noise. With as many cars are manufactured with CVTs these days, what kind of passenger freaks out about engine noise for no reason?

Old 05-15-2017, 06:58 AM
Enthusiast

**Note: I owned a 2014 Accord Hybrid EX-L with 77K miles in 2 1/2 years and live in the Midwest. Never had 1 issue with it, never replaced any parts, not even breaks. Just tires, wipers, filters, and oil.**

I just about 2 weeks ago, purchased the Touring model, with 25 miles on it. Right from the start, 1 day of owning it, the Head unit failed, was replaced.

Besides that, on freeway with no traffic at 2am & about 65 degrees outside (temperature does effect MPG / Hybrid battery) we get about 39-43 MPG.

I like the ACC, just need to figure out your distance and change that based on traffic around you.

LKAS / Road Mitigation: I also like this feature, it allows me for more relaxed driving method depending on traffic. As noted above, I put on a lot of miles in all different types of traffic and weather conditions.

I don't like how using the remote start you can't set or change the inside temperature. It just blows air and you can not change or control the temperature after starting the car with the remote.

I don't notice a difference of MPG using the ECO mode or not. I have learned, from my 2014, how to charge and use the battery more effectively, by changing my driving habits. Also, I used B mode when slowing or coming to a stop which help regenerate the battery and saves on breaks.

I hope my MPG will get better once the car has been through the "break-in" period, which I know really does not exist or happen.

I did just notice today, that 4 of my defroster/heater lines on the back window seem to be coming off, or something as I have a bubble in each line.

Overall, I love the car!!!

Old 05-15-2017, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dadwith2boys
Also, I used B mode when slowing or coming to a stop which help regenerate the battery and saves on breaks.
There's no reason to use B for this. The brake pedal does the exact same thing unless you're pushing on it so hard that it engages the mechanical brakes.

If you brake from (e.g.) 45 to 0 over the same time and distance, it doesn't matter whether you use B or all brake pedal. There will be no difference in the amount of battery regenerated or wear on the brakes (in both cases brake wear will be 0, except as I've said if you're stomping on them).