Buying 05 Accord Hybrid Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 06:14 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying 05 Accord Hybrid Need Advice

Today on the way home from work the IMA light did not illuminate when I started it or drove it 15 miles home but the CEL light is still on. I did some searching and some say the 12v battery can cause false IMA lights is that true?

Old 01-31-2016, 07:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

IMA light can go on and off as conditions dictate. CEL will stay on following an IMA. They will eventually clear if the IMA fault condition doesn't return.

It is true if 12V is extremely bad, and it typically throws multiple codes. Confirm 12V is good with a load test.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

S Keith thanks so much for the info given thus far. I normally start with forums for diagnosing questions and for most cars there are many sources. For hybrids specifically Honda Accords I only found this forum as a source and you are the resident expert on battery issues which aren't uncommon...lol

I had a basic scanner that I used for gas vehicles and medium duty diesels (powerstrokes and duramaxes). I loaned it out and now can't get it so wanted to get a scanner that can work well with hybrids since this is my 3rd (2x Mariners). Which model do you suggest so I don't have to run to shops for light diagnosing/code clearing?

I wanted to get the current code read then 12 v battery tested and replaced if insufficient. I guess which way I go from there depends on what I find.

How long do your batteries last and what procedures do you use for them?

Thanks

Originally Posted by S Keith
IMA light can go on and off as conditions dictate. CEL will stay on following an IMA. They will eventually clear if the IMA fault condition doesn't return.

It is true if 12V is extremely bad, and it typically throws multiple codes. Confirm 12V is good with a load test.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry see you already recommended a scanner: bluetooth ELM32 code reader
I googled it and came up with ELM 327 is that the same or upgraded model?

Old 01-31-2016, 01:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Do you use the Hybrid Automotive Prolong Battery Reconditioner? I don't keep cars long so might get one since I really like hybrids and can see getting a Highlander (or Camry) in the future which they support. I have access to auctions including insurance auctions and wonder if getting a low mileage wrecked for its battery might be a cheaper solution assuming everything worked before accident or is it just another crap shoot with used batteries?

Old 01-31-2016, 02:43 PM

Sorry, yes, ELM327. Any unit will suffice. They are all Chinese knock-offs. The key is the software. Torque Pro for android, $6.

I have had 3 of these:

Amazon.com: Vgate Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID: Automotive Amazon.com: Vgate Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID: Automotive

Two still work.

If you're an iphone guy, try this:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...tml#post258016

Old 01-31-2016, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by rowekmr
Do you use the Hybrid Automotive Prolong Battery Reconditioner? I don't keep cars long so might get one since I really like hybrids and can see getting a Highlander (or Camry) in the future which they support. I have access to auctions including insurance auctions and wonder if getting a low mileage wrecked for its battery might be a cheaper solution assuming everything worked before accident or is it just another crap shoot with used batteries?
I do not have one, but it is a very high quality product, and I recommend it. The owner, Jeff, is very highly respected for his grid chargers and general IMA expertise over on Insight Central. You can't go wrong with his system.

Whether it works or not depends on your battery, but it certainly sounds like it would.

Steve

Old 01-31-2016, 06:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

I pulled the codes and had:
P2279 Intake Air System Leak
P0AC4 Hybrid Powertrain Control Mod Requested MIL
P0A7F Hybrid Battery Pack Deterioration
P0AC4 (pending) Powertrain Control Mod Requested MIL
P0A7F (pending) Hybrid Battery Pack Deterioration

I cleared them and will drive it tonight and tomorrow to see what comes back. I will check the intake tube tomorrow for loose clamps/leaks.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:34 PM

Definitely check the 12V with a load test. P0AC4 may be 12V related.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

I cleared codes and car now charges and assists as before and goes into Eco mode on highway. Drove short distance (17 miles) last night mainly highway notice battery stayed at 4 bars. I assume the battery isn't charging while accelerating or going steady state speed.

Drove it less today but more stop and go and recharged to 6 bars. I have an appointment at Honda tomorrow to check for recalls or computer flashing a d minor maintenance. She took my VIN over the phone and didn't see any recalls pending. I'm not a fan of dealerships but this is so complex I'll see if their factory training/computers can help me get this running right. Will have them load check battery, change oil/filter and check Trans fluid and abything else you may suggest. Is there a performance test/diagnostic they can do on the IMA battery? She tried to talk me over the phone to unlock the radio but since it's Navigatiin system she said techs will have to do it. I did get to the screen that asks for the code but my bigger screen says "Please check your disc". I'll also try to buy a owners manual off EBay I got a lot to read up on.

Quick Reply: Buying 05 Accord Hybrid Need Advice

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands