Key won't come out of ignition

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 12:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Key won't come out of ignition

All,

I drive, put the car in park and cannot get the key past the "I" position (the one right after off). I drove around the block twice and it still won't come out.

I did some looking online, and this appears to be a problem that many people experience and quite a few Accord owners.

Apparently there could be a problem with the transmission not being able to inform the ignition that the car is in park so it won't unlock the key.

Has anyone had this problem with their HAH yet? Keep an eye out for it. I'll post the solution here once I find it.

(And I was already pissed off because the CD player broke after 2800 miles - I'm starting to get nervous...)

Later,
Wes

P. S. On the other hand, I'm getting 30+ mph in the city with relative ease now that I'm up around 3500 miles.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Key won't come out of ignition

Well, about 3 minutes later I discovered the problem. A quarter had gotten into the gear shifter slot so that I wasn't actually able to move the gear shift completely into "P" (even though the gear shift indicator light showed "P").

So, be forewarned!!!

I did read all those posts about other, more exotic ways for this to happen, so do be on the lookout for that.

Take care,
Wes

Old 10-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Key won't come out of ignition

Thanks for the update! I'll keep that in mind if I ever have a similar problem.

See, that's what I like about forums such as these! We get to learn from other people's experience so that we can solve our own problems if it ever happens to us. So, thank you to everyone on this forum that has ever posted a problem/concern and then came back on to post their "fix."