Lost Brake Hydraulic - Any Cold Winter Days

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Lost Brake Hydraulic - Any Cold Winter Days

Anyone experience this?

I want to share my experience to see if ANYONE have similar stories here.

The problem I am having is as follows in sequence:

1) My first encounter with this problem is that I park my Accord outside my home this winter at a slightly 20 degree slanted like "/" angle. Obviously I don't think this is the cause of the problem. Now my problem is that when I started the Accord COLD at -5 C degrees without windchill. As I back up the car, brake pedal will become stiff after a few depresses. It is as if the car didn't start at all while you try braking...exactly like that. In short, hydraulic doesn't seemed to work temporarily. Anyways, in about less than 30 seconds, the brakes came back like normal thereafter.

2) Second encounter happened while it was - 7 C degrees...again same thing happened. I wanted to call you about this but I went busy plus the brakes eventually works so I didn't call. I believe it did the same thing to me in my daily round trip work commute....both ways.

3) Weather was warmer so I didn't have this problem for a few days. Didn't occur to me there is a problem anymore so I left it.

4) My third encounter happened only 1 trip going out from my home. Same thing but I am dealing with -5 C degrees again. Same duration of about less than a 30 seconds. Since I drove it to downtown on a 3-day project, I have underground parking for all those days. So I only get this problem in the GOING commute...coming back isn't a problem since the underground was warm enough to causes any problems.

5) My fourth encounter became more severe and this happened just yesterday. It was like -14 C degrees when I started the Accord COLD. This time it lasted over 2 minutes before I have brake ability. Usually by the time I am in forward motion, the brakes will come back...but it didn't till I started driving on the public road. My right hand is on my hand brake till I got my brakes back. This is another day on the same project I mentioned above...so the commute back to home direction didn't have a problem as I have underground parking.

6) This morning is the most severe...I know this will happen to me so I decided to warm up the car longer over 1 minute before I depart. Today the temperature reads -20 C degrees and it is pretty cold. But little do I know it took 5-7kms before I get my brakes back!

Anyone can comment on this? Is this normal?

Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Lost Brake Hydraulic - Any Cold Winter Days

This can't be normal. I'm having the identical experience. This my 3rd winter owning a 2006 Accord Hybrid and the coldest stretch of weather the car has been subjected to. I don't have a garage so I park in the driveway and have the exact same problem. It's been an average of -15C (5F) before windchill this past week (-22C/-7.5F after windchill) and I've noticed it happening after I park the car overnight. I've experienced it a few times before but always for just a few seconds, it seems the longer the car is subjected to cold weather continually without a warm spell, the worse the problem gets. This morning it took the car a good 5 minutes before the brakes started working normally.
If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Interestingly, my driveway is also slightly angled, I'm going to try parking on a flat surface tonight and see if that makes any difference (though I know that it shouldn't).

Regardless, any input anyone has would be greatly appreciated, this is a dangerous situation and it only happens in extreme cold.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Did you ever changed brake fluid? I would recommend to do so if not done yet. The water in the fluid can make such a behavior.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:59 AM
Enthusiast

drozzin:
I take it in for regular and scheduled maintenance, I'll have to look at my records to see when the last time brake fluid was changed was but it's definitely worth having a look at. Thank you for the suggestion.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Lost Brake Hydraulic - Any Cold Winter Days

Thanks for sharing. Now that makes 2 of us. So from what I can see, you seemed to be leaving it be. I didn't and have taken action. I took it to the dealer (which they gave me a service loaner car to drive) and left it there.

The next morning, they tried it at about -13 outside weather...they didn't detect the problem. They tried a few times that day...still no problem.

The morning after that at about -15 outside weather sitting out longer, they have about a 5-second time frame where they can duplicate the problem. They brought into the shop right away but unfortunately by the time everything is hooked up, the brakes works again like normal. The diagnostics also shows all pressure and vacuum levels numbers are normal too.

So at the end the technician suspects (not 100% certain) it is a central regulator that controls the vacuum and brake pressure. They say most likely this part gathered a little bit of MOISTURE inside. Once it is warm enough it melts the moisture and brake will be fully operational again.

The unfortunately part is that this is a RARE occurrence (dealer claimed there isn't any past case about this problem) and that the part will be back-ordered till March 10th! Part probably need to be made and ship from Japan.

The service advisor (not the supervisor or Manager) told me to take the car home first and wait and meantime ask me to be careful. Thinking about it after the call, I am NOT happy with that answer and I will refuse to drive the car any longer till it is fiexed.

Anyways the outcome so far is:

1) I called Honda Canada and describe my problem. Customer Relations representative (named MARK) was very helpful and patiently listen to my story. Then he put me on hold to understand more about my case by calling the dealer my car is in service. He got back to check up on me when it took too long confirming that he is still with me.

2) At the end of the conversation, he told me the Service Manager at the dealer agree 100% I shouldn't be driving away without proper brakes. So the Service Manager agreed to arrange a Rental during the back-order wait time. However there is a 5-day processing time which I might have to be responsible for rental till then. But since I have a loaner from the dealer I am fine.

3) Since I have Honda PLUS still on my car (nearing the end with only 2000km left), all will be claimed through this policy.

So now I am waiting a call from the dealer when they have arranged rental for me while my Accord Hybrid is sitting at the dealer waiting for the part.

Overall I am happy with the experience of Honda Canada and dealer. They have been very helpful with my situation.

I will keep you all up to date when I know more.

Please other owners, please tell your stories if you are experience the same with us or any feedback will be appreciated. This is a serious matter than may lead to a RECALL too.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks drozzin for the suggestion as well.

But the thing is I just had a major 160k tune-up and Honda technician should have spotted that my fluids are bad then. They didn't say anything so I assumed the fluids are still good.

But yes it does makes sense...do you have the same experience before drozzin?

bigpoppapaul I suggest you do something about this. It is only getting colder now. Do you have any warranty left? Doesn't matter...like me it might be covered.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

No, I did not have any problems with brakes such as described here.
I did change brake fluid every 3 years as manual says (I did it two times already) as preventive measure though since it is very hygroscopic.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hello, I have an update on this problem.

Apparently I took my car back from service yesterday evening. I tested it and it seemed good but the weather is only -5 C so this is really not an ultimate test to see if the problem is resolved.

What they did was following:

1) 46402-SDR-A04 - Tube Assembly (Master Power) - $75.00
2) Labor used: Diagnostics + 0.20HR part replacement + Type A service = $220.00
3) Oil Change due to part change = $60.00
4) Add the Taxes if applicable.

Hope this helps. I will update further on this as the rest of the WINTER season progresses.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

BTW, the above work was performed complimentary for me due to:

1) I still have a few months extended Honda PLUS - Full Package (7yrs, 160k)

2) Made arrangements with Honda Canada to have their attention about this and they waive all fees for goodwill. Potentially I will need to pay the diagnostics fees though but my dealer (Markham Honda) was generous enough to waive the oil change and diagostics too. Never know if Honda Canada refuses to pay the diagnostics they may make me responsible.

Anyways so far...thsi service is complientary for me.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 AM
Enthusiast

Tedson: Thank you for keeping us up to date. Please let me know how this all goes for you and whether the repairs fixed the problem. We still have quite a few cold days ahead so I'm sure you'll know the answer shortly.

Quick Reply: Lost Brake Hydraulic - Any Cold Winter Days

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands