LOW FREQUENCY NOISE

Old 07-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: LOW FREQUENCY NOISE

google "honda tech service bulletin" or something like that.

Alldata.com has it, but you have to pay/subscribe. TSBs are not intended for consumers- they're meant to inform service dept's of recurring 'nuisance' problems that are not safety/emissions related and/or rise to the level of recall. So its sometimes tricky to get hold of them, particularly newer ones that have not circulated much.

You could also try driveaccord.com- an Accord-specific forum.

If you bring it in and mention the TSB number, and they look stupidly at you, just ask to talk to the manager and mention it again. They will surely understand what you mean, even if they are not specifically familiar with this particular TSB or the problem.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all your help. I will try to find the service bulletin before I take my car in but if I can not find it I am sure Honda will be able to figure out the problem. Thanks again.

Elle

Old 07-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast

I don't have this problem, but the door panels in my '06 HAH seem to vibrate very loudly depending on road conditions, or any bass heavy (or just voice) sounds coming from the speakers. I haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer yet. Anyone else experiencing this?

Old 07-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've noticed the "booming" sound in our 05 HAH for a few months, but we typically drive in speeds above 60 mph where the sound doesn't occur, so it has been only a minor nuisance.

But, on a trip to Arkansas last week, driving on some mountain roads at 50-60 mph, the booming noise became a major annoyance. I found myself punching the accelerator to get out of ECO into 6 cyl mode just to get rid of the noise.

I started watching the sound pattern closely and noted it was loudest and most common at these conditions: 1600-1700 rpm, ECO light on, slight deceleration. Driving at 55 mph, ECO on, level road or slight decline, the sound was constant and close to unbearable.

Back home I did some searching and found this thread. Drivers at Green Hybrid are great resources. I did find the TSB 06-005 mentioned here; the title is: "Humming or Booming Comes From the Speakers".” I found it at this URL:
< http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/index-post.html>. The page is a long list of TSBs; scroll down until you find this:

Wed, Apr 12, 2006 Fri, Mar 24, 2006 06-005 Audio System - Front Speaker Humming and or Booming Noise

The TSB is in two .jpg files which I can email if anyone is unable to access the file on the alldata.com web site.

The TSB states the “Probable Cause” of the “humming” is that “The ANC (active noise cancellation) unit is faulty.”

“Corrective Action” is to “Replace the ANC unit and the front speakers.”

The TSB provides a very simple “Diagnosis” procedure:
1. Remove lens from ceiling light (the one in center of roof); small screwdriver pops it right out.
2. Attach a 4 foot or longer jumper wire to the driver’s side terminal of the ceiling light bulb (alligator clip is nice, but a length of 14 gauge stranded copper wire will work fine).
3. Next step recommends 1 to drive, someone else to do the test, no doubt safer that way.
4. Drive to produce the humming sound (for me, that’s 55 mph, 1600 rpm, level or slight decline with ECO on).
5. Ground the other end of the jumper wire to the “grounding sleeve” of the cig lighter/power outlet (the silver ring you plug devices into).
6. If the noise goes away, the ANC is faulty ; replace ANC and two front speakers.

Armed with a printout of the TSB, I took our HAH in to the small dealer in Ardmore, Ok where we bought it. Tech said ours was the first booming complaint. I provided him a copy of the TSB and suggested he grab a jumper wire and come for ride; he agreed. He first started to remove the cover of the map lights, and I pointed him to the center/ceiling light. Cover came off easily, and he clipped the jumper to the driver’s side pole. Once I got up the 1600 rpm, 55 mph, ECO on status, he heard the booming right away; it’s loud and he agreed a very annoying sound. He touched the other end of the jumper wire to the power outlet, and instantly, the sound was gone. He could toggle the sound on/off by touching/removing the ground to the power outlet.

On the way back to the shop, I pointed out a critical section of the TSB for out of warranty cars (we bought ours in Feb 2005, and it has 49,000 miles on it): “Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration and get a decision, before starting work.”

He called someone on his cell phone and got approval for “goodwill consideration,” meaning that the $300 part cost will be covered by Honda. I did not think to ask about labor, but I’ll let the list know what happens when I get the ANC job done next week. The tech thanked me for the homework I’d done. “You made my job easy,” he said.

Thanks again to those who reported this issue earlier and provided the TSB information. I can’t imagine being the first one in a dealership, no TSB backup, out of warranty, and trying to get the booming diagnosed without the jumper recipe.

Lewis

Old 07-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That's awesome! Thanks for all the information.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:03 PM

Lewis,

Thanks. I 'discovered' the problem with my HAH and did exactly as you did (avoid 55). I still have low miles, less than 10K so replacement should not be an issue. The question, is the part that is being replaced chaged from the original to prevent the problem from reoccuring or is it the same part?

Thanks for the info.

David

Old 07-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ncgater
Lewis,

The question, is the part that is being replaced chaged from the original to prevent the problem from reoccuring or is it the same part?

David
David,
Short answer: I don't know.
I will ask, but I'm not confident that service at the dealer level will know either. The TSB does focus on 2005 HAH models only. I take that as a sign that Honda did something different in the 06 model to improve ANC, and that whatever that fix was might be incorporated in the TSB correction to the 05 problem. Worst case plan: we can just run a wire from the ceiling light to the cig lighter/12v power suppy and drive boomlessly.... Maybe attach a Calder mobile or fuzzy dice to the wire to improve aesthetics.... :=)
Lewis

Old 07-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast

i have a 05 HAH (vin ...5C800030). my car has the booming noise problem. i did the diagnosis but the noise didnt goes away !!!!!
i went to the dealer and they have no idea what they can do.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Update on my scheduled repair for the "booming." The ANC part kit is backordered, and it may be September before it's in. Honda dealer service tech said she did a "critical search," meaning the computer can tell her if any dealer has the ANC fix kit in stock. No luck. "There must be a big problem with this," she said.
Lewis

Old 08-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast

I have the problem, and thanks to this thread, I was able to start down the road to solving it.

I called my local dealer - I am just barely under the warranty mileage. I gave them the TSB number and found out that Honda Canada (where I live) has their own bulletins. Fortunately, there is one in Canada too. I booked a time, waited about a week for the appointment and took it in. Late in the day they called and said "yup, we did the test and you have the problem". Gee, thanks for clearing that up! So THEN they ordered the parts. They are scheduled to be in about now, but I can't get the car back in to service till next Wednesday. At least it will be done before our next trip up north!

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!

Regards,

Gregg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LOW FREQUENCY NOISE

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands