Power System Problem on 2015 Accord Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Power System Problem on 2015 Accord Hybrid

Just bought my 2015 Accord Hybrid CVT less than a month ago. We have just under 1600 miles on it. The car is AMAZING. I love it. I look forward to driving it everyday.

I was cruising around 50mph on the freeway last night. I had the AC on full blast. Then all of a sudden, loss of power check engine light, and an error popped up on my dash: "Power System Problem". Hybrid battery looked low and I am assuming that it couldn't charge fast enough to meet the demand of driving with full AC. I seriously and honestly just got rid of my 2006 Prius because of the same exact problem. WTF. And I've searched and searched and have not seen a single other post on any website of anyone having this same error.

I had to use Honda roadside assistance to tow the car to the dealership last night. They said that American Honda does not authorize rentals, but perhaps under certain circumstances after the diagnosis is done on it today, then maybe they can put in a request for a rental if it won't be finished by the end of the day.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:30 PM
k99
Enthusiast
Default Re: Power System Problem on 2015 Accord Hybrid

@m177 -- I also experienced the Power System Problem tonight. My 2015 Accord Hybrid has only 400 miles. The check engine light came on and I immediately felt a loss of power to vehicle. It wouldn't accelerate. It was if the gas motor was not engaging to drive the wheels. I coasted to a stop on the side of the interstate. Luckily, the hazard lights still worked. I shut off the vehicle and after 10 seconds, turned it back on. I was able to drive it home without issue. The battery charge went to two bars when the error occurred. About 1 mile down the road the battery level was at 5 bars. CEL (check engine light) remains on.

I took a screenshot while pulled over. Will try to attach it.

Did the dealer state what the issue was?

I certainly didn't expect this problem so soon.

Attached Thumbnails Power System Problem on 2015 Accord Hybrid-dashboard.jpg  
Old 03-23-2015, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast

My dash looked exactly like that. That sucks you've run into the same problem. I had Honda roadside assistance tow the car to the dealership on Wednesday night. Then my dealership temporarily lost the key for the whole day Thursday! So stupid. They found it and started looking into the issues on Friday.

They said when they started the car, the error and the check engine light were not on. I'm surprised that the check engine turned off. But they did find a couple errors. They would not tell me what the error codes were. They admittedly said they did not know what the error codes stood for, and so they had to talk with American Honda's tech line.

They said a sensor on the hybrid battery went out, but they will switch out the entire hybrid battery which I suppose the sensor is part of that assembly.

They ordered the part and said that I should have my car back Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on when they receive the parts.

I'll try to find out all the details and error codes when I pick up my car.

I really hope it fixes it once and for all, but it scares me that the car is having such a major problem in such a short amount of time. Hopefully, it's not a lemon, but I guess time will tell.

Make sure to keep a log of all conversations, records, and details in case you have to keep bringing it back to get fixed.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:36 PM
k99
Enthusiast

Last night, I attached the a scan tool pull the error code. Unfortunately, my scan tool was not able to determine the code and stated no definition was available. It did provide freeze frame event data though, indicating it occurred driving 59mph and engine RPM was 0. This indicates the high voltage battery was too low and the engine did not engage when it should have. I didn't hear the engine running after I coasted to a stop. Glad power steering still worked. The engine only started when I restarted the vehicle. My first thought was that it may be a software problem, but no way to prove it right now.

This morning, the check engine light cleared. I assume it clears after so many repeated successful no error event starts.

Thanks for providing additional information from your dealer. I'll do the same when I visit my dealer this week. My dealer has stated they have not heard of this "Power System Problem" event before.

I was able to drive my car home without issue, but you were not. What did yours do when it was restarted and tried to drive it?

Old 03-23-2015, 02:16 PM
k99
Enthusiast

More information about the code stored after event. My scan tool wouldn't show it to me because the code is too new and not in its database. I had to sync/import the data from the scan tool to the computer to view it.

@m177 - Can you find out if this is the same code your dealer said occurred?

# DTC Information
DTC for which Freeze Frame was Stored: P0B3B
DTC Definition: Hybrid Battery Voltage Sensor A - Circuit Malfunction
# Freeze Frame Data
Calculated LOAD Value 0.00 %
Engine Coolant Temp 185.00 °F
Engine RPM 0 rpm
Vehicle Speed Sensor 59.03 mph
Absolute Throttle Position 12.16 %
Time Since Engine Start 1024 sec (~17 min)
Bank 2 - Sensor 1 Equivalence Ratio 0.10
Bank 2 - Sensor 1 O2S Current -128.00 mA
Bank 2 - Sensor 3 Equivalence Ratio 0.11
Bank 2 - Sensor 3 O2S Current -128.00 mA
Catalyst Temperature Bank 1 - Sensor 1 -40.00 °F
Catalyst Temperature Bank 1 - Sensor 2 -40.00 °F

Old 03-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast

When this error occurred, I, too, was either just coasting or barely touching the throttle as I was starting to hit traffic. Similar speed too. I turned my AC on full blast a few minutes before (coincidentally, this happened with my 2006 prius when my AC was on full blast too). I'm pretty sure the engine wasn't on. When the error popped up, I immediately looked at the HV battery gauge and saw that there were only two bars.

After I got to the side of the road, I powered off the vehicle. Almost immediately, I turned it back on. The error was no longer there, but the the check engine light was on. I was just an exit away and less than 2 easy miles away from home, so I just drove slowly to my home. The HV battery gauge came back up pretty quickly ~ less than a couple minutes and it was more than half way.

I let it sit on my driveway for 30 minutes or so and started it up again. The check engine light was still on. Road assistance took the car at that point.

I'm hopeful I'll be able to pick the car back up tomorrow. When I do, I'll make sure to find out what errors they had received, and what exactly they did to fix it.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:14 PM
Enthusiast

btw, I'm pretty sure the dealership here never experienced it either. They pretty much told me that they couldn't figure it out and had to spend a lot of time talk with American Honda about it.

I don't know much about Accords... this isn't the first accord hybrid, I'm sure. But is this the first time with that interface? I was just surprised that no one else was running into the same problem. I figured that the error that other people got may have been worded differently.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:51 PM
k99
Enthusiast

Agree, not a lot is known about this Power System Problem error event, which is why your dealer had to call American Honda.

Honda lists the Accord Hybrid as having a Lithium-Ion HV battery pack.

Thanks for confirming you were able to drive it after the error occurred. I thought your Accord was completely disabled and would no longer turn on, which indicates a different problem than mine. It is possible our issues are the same.

Aside from the Power System Problem, I'm enjoying the Accord Hybrid.

Will post again when more information is known.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:54 PM
Enthusiast

I talked with the dealership today. They said the HV battery is coming from the East Coast and probably won't be in until next week.

I confirmed with the tech that just one sensor went out on the battery, but American Honda decided to replace the entire battery assembly.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:38 AM
k99
Enthusiast

Seems we have the same issue. Dealer is also going to replace HV battery in my vehicle. Dealer expects replacement HV battery to be delivered next week and take a day to install it. They believe the replacement HV battery will fix the issue.

Quick Reply: Power System Problem on 2015 Accord Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands