The scoop on the new 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: The scoop on the new 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

I picked up the Accord today and now have it tucked away in the garage with nary a mark on it other than a couple of bug splats.

But it was quite an ordeal. There are 19 states requiring front license plates; NY being one of them. The Accord does not have bumper knock-out covers, so the dealer drilled holes to mount their plate holder w/dealer name.
My dealer offered to plug the holes; I said no way, so they decided to swap out the bumper covers from another white Accord on the lot.

I'm still shaking my head over a dealer doing this to a new, unsold vehicle, but know it is all about govt revenue for states requiring a front plate; easier to catch toll gate runners, etc.
I'm curious how Honda retros the cover to take a plate; there has to be a nut-plate on the backside, so it appears they have to take the cover off the vehicle to do this.

My (white) 91 Accord had a dealer plate on the cover when I bought it. The first thing I did when I got the car home was throw the plate in the garbage and put the nut-plate covers back on.
I feel Honda would be better off going back to that original design. I was not a happy camper today, but recuperated after getting behind the wheel of this awesome machine.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast

I must be doing something wrong. I am only averaging 41.8 mpg on almost 4 tanks now. I don't accelerate fast or stop abruptly. Anyone care to comment on their driving style to get the higher gas mileage.

Could be the transmission in mine is bad at 2100 miles. Took it to the dealership for a noise in the front right side and thinking it was something in the brake system they said possibly transmission. Waiting for them to get me a loaner so I can leave the car with them to repair.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:25 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: The scoop on the new 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

I initially wanted to buy the base model, then after sleeping on it decided to get the EX-L...and when at the dealer ended up getting the Touring model. As a student the financing was on the upper limit on what I could afford, but I am SOOOO glad I went with the Touring model. I am not a fan of having extra wires in the car so while an external GPS might have saved me a ton of money, the additional features (along with GPS) that the touring provides is well worth it.

I commute over 80 miles per day RT for work (summer job) and only having to fill my tank once a week (I tend to fill with 3 bars left) is amazing. I used to drive a Honda CRV and with this commute that would have surely meant filling at least twice in 1 week!

As for MPG, I used to get around 45mpg (mostly highway), but now after being a bit more conscious about my driving, I am averaging over 50mpg (~50-55). The gas savings itself (at least for the summer) more than makes up the financing difference between my CRV and HAH, and while that might not be the case when I go back to school, the features and the fact that I can probably go half the entire semester (if I don't travel anywhere on weekends) without having to fill the tank is quite awesome!

Old 06-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

I put in today for an Accord Hybrid Touring. I was told it would be 3 months. It will be worth the wait.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

That is a really long wait! I am really surprised with the lack of serious production of these vehicles. I would have thought that with the considerable interest in this line.....I guess I just got very lucky in that the dealership I went to had the touring model in the color that I wanted.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast

The automotive press is reporting that they can't get the batteries fast enough to build these cars. I've also been told that the vast majority of them are being delivered to California, with big demand in Japan as well.
I bought mine, sight unseen. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have it yet probably! Very happy with it so far..........the mileage of a Prius.........in a much bigger car that's 700#s heavier to boot.

Last edited by Accordingly,Don; 07-01-2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 10InsightFred
I picked up the Accord today and now have it tucked away in the garage with nary a mark on it other than a couple of bug splats.

But it was quite an ordeal. There are 19 states requiring front license plates; NY being one of them. The Accord does not have bumper knock-out covers, so the dealer drilled holes to mount their plate holder w/dealer name.
My dealer offered to plug the holes; I said no way, so they decided to swap out the bumper covers from another white Accord on the lot.

I'm still shaking my head over a dealer doing this to a new, unsold vehicle, but know it is all about govt revenue for states requiring a front plate; easier to catch toll gate runners, etc.
I'm curious how Honda retros the cover to take a plate; there has to be a nut-plate on the backside, so it appears they have to take the cover off the vehicle to do this.

My (white) 91 Accord had a dealer plate on the cover when I bought it. The first thing I did when I got the car home was throw the plate in the garbage and put the nut-plate covers back on.
I feel Honda would be better off going back to that original design. I was not a happy camper today, but recuperated after getting behind the wheel of this awesome machine.
I don't blame you there! I wouldn't have accepted a new car with holes in the front bumper either!

Old 07-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast

I had a wait of four months and one week for my Accord Hybrid here in Ottawa, Canada (ordered Feb. 19, delivered June 26). But if you don't like the US colours, compare with Canada. Here we can choose from only black, white and grey (steel metallic). I can't understand the limited colours as the same factory produces the Canadian and US models, and the US and Canadian cars have the same exterior. Oh yes…we only have two models of the car… the two extreme ends.

Last edited by capitalguy; 07-15-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 07-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

They have an assembly plant in Marysville, Ohio now. So maybe the Ohio plant has the other colors.. but not sure if the assembly plants do the powder coating/dipping paint?

The dealer told me he doesn't think they will change the colors on the 2015 models, but I'm going to wait anyways and see for myself

Old 07-15-2014, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast

All the North American market hybrid Accords come from Marysville, so I can't see why the colour choice in Canada is so limited. The bodies between Canada and the US are identical. Maybe they make only cars of one colour on every production run and thus want to keep the choice down to build more numbers. I'd be curious to learn what fraction of the time the plant is set to produce hybrid cars for each country.

Quick Reply: The scoop on the new 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands