Software Update Recall - Anyone else get one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default Software Update Recall - Anyone else get one?

I just got a "recall" notice for my 2005 Accord Hybrid in the mail today saying that I needed to bring the car in for a software update that would prevent problems if a technician were to do a general scan on the car of some sort.

Did anyone else get one of these recently?

Old 12-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Software Update Recall - Anyone else get one?

I just checked Honda's Owner Link:

Concerned about safety? So is Honda. That's why Owner Link provides up-to-date recall information about your vehicle. Because Owner Link recall listings are based on your Honda's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), they are specific to your vehicle.

There are no current safety recalls for your 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid.

If you experience problems or you have further questions, contact your dealer for assistance.

You can also find more information from:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
P.O. Box 2964
Torrance, CA 90509
Telephone: (800) 999-1009

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
400 Seventh Street, SW
Washington, DC 20590
Auto Safety Hotline (888) 327-4236
Nothing listed for my car. Guess it's for a select few? Anyhow, I'll be checking my postal mail when I get home today.

Old 12-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast

Well, it wasn't a safety recall, so that may be why it isn't listed there. My OwnerLink account doesn't show anything under the Recalls section either.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, I got the letter also. Here's an excerpt:

"Product Update: IMA Battery Software Update

Dear Accord Hybrid owner:

This notice has been sent to inform you of a potential problem with your vehicle and what you should do to resolve it.

What is the problem?
The computer software in your vehicle needs to be updated. Without the update, a technician using a scan tool in generic mode on your vehicle could cause damage to your vehicle's electric motor battery and/or cause the engine computer to falsely signal engine misfires. Additionally, we also want to update the original PGM-FI software to the most current version number.

What should you do?
Call any authorized Honda dealer, and make an appointment to have your vehicle updated. The dealer will update your vehicle's computer software. This work will be done free of charge. Please plan to leave your vehicle at the dealer for half a day to allow them flexibility in scheduling."

Old 12-20-2005, 03:33 PM

thanks. I'll keep an eye out for mine.

What was the build date of your vehicle? You shoud be able to see it on the sticker on the column between the driver side doors.

Mine is 3/05, purchased in May

Last edited by gonavy; 12-20-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast

Yep, just got my notice in the mail today. Looks like a build date of 01/05, we bought in April. My VIN # is under 5000, so it looks like I've got an early one.
Will take care of it at the next oil change/service, in about 1500 miles we will hit 15,000.

MPG down to 30 in the wifes normal commute, temps here in MA have been stuck in the 20's.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

My build date is also 01/05.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:32 PM

No letter today, but I'll be keeping an eye out for it. Thanks for the thread!

Old 12-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Enthusiast

Probably this one

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/113...038/index.html

Honda Service Bulletin 05-038

Applies to 2005 Accord Hybrid - From VIN JHMCN3...5C000001 thru 5C006600

November 24, 2004

Product Update: IMA Battery Software Update

Background

The current battery control software can lead to IMA battery damage when the HDS is used in the generic mode, or a generic scan tool is used to clear IMA diagnostic trouble shooting codes (DTCs).

The current engine control software will celar the stored learned valuse sofr the CKP (crankshaft position) sensor if an HDS in generic mode, or a generic scan tool is used to clear DTCs.

With the CKP values cleared, the PCM could misinterpret the CKP input at high rpm as ping paired misfire (P0301/P0305) and set these DTCs.

Corrective Action

Update the IMA battery control module and the PGM-FI sofware using the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS)

Software Information

HDS Software Version 1.018.016 or later

Be sure to use the latest software available (curently 2.002.006). If the correct version of the software is not used, the HDS may incorrectly indicate that the system does not need an update.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:26 PM

thanks!.

My car is out of the VIN range. There goes my 'excuse' to go ask for a HCHII loaner for the morning...

Quick Reply: Software Update Recall - Anyone else get one?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands