Timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Timing belt replacement

With 90,000 miles on the car I'm about a year away from hitting the recomended mileage for replacing the timing belt. Dealer quoted me a flat rate of $1200 to replace along with everything else that is recomended while they are in there. (water pump, tensioner, belts.)

$1200 appears to be a fair price from what I see other's are paying while looking on the net. I also have found video's showing how to replace the belt and it's well within my ability to do so. I plan to get the Hayne's manual but it does not have any info regarding the IMA system.

My question is, has anyone here replaced a timing belt on a Hybrid. My main concerns are some portion of the IMA system interfering with the work needed to perform the replacement. Without the proper repair manuals I would be going in blind otherwise.

Any info or insite is appreciated.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Timing belt replacement

Buy only Honda Factory Service Manual for your car. It cost not that much but it covers everything. Here you can buy for yours: http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage...d.php?t=905300

Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here is direct link in case if you could not find it there: http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...R02&itemtype=N

Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Timing belt replacement

Yeah the Honda Service Manual for Accord Hybrid will be your best bet.

I had one and from what I read, there isn't much of a difference between doing normal V6 and Hybrid Accords. Really the difference is that you have less space to work with and that the engine will need to be lifted up by "5mm" they claim. That made me nervous because the electric motor and the Hybrid goods are attached directly to the engine!

Also from the diagrams, the space to unscrew various pulleys are tight.

That's the reason why I bring it home to Honda to do it for me.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

You can also try to shop around with independent shops specializing on Hondas or other imports. But do not go just to any mechanic instead go to trusted one or recommended by someone you can trust.