Transmission chugging around 40-44 mph anyone?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Transmission chugging around 40-44 mph anyone?

Anyone notice a "chugging" feeling while cruising around 40-44 mph on a straight flat road? It feels like the torque converter is locking into overdrive and then comes out of overdrive and then locks back in. I get the feeling the car speeds up slightly while it is doing this. However, while this is going on, the tachometer stays steady. I'm wondering if at this speed it’s just a sweet spot (un-sweet spot rather) where I’m exactly in between a shift point and the transmission can't decide what to do. But that theory doesn't explain why the tachometer stays steady. I checked the transmission fluid level and it appears to be over filled. But I checked it while hot on ground that was probably not level. I did shut the engine off like the manual says, which I found interesting. But, I’m used to GM transmissions where you check the fluid level hot with the engine running in park or neutral. Anyway, I don’t think it’s anything serious but I’m just curious if anyone else is experiencing what I am.

I've got a 05 HAH with about 47k miles on it now. I bought it certified used with 36k.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Transmission chugging around 40-44 mph anyone?

I have an '07 that shifts high pretty fast, but not so bad I would consider it "chugging." Compared to most other cars, the HAH seems to try to keep RPMs as low as possible - so what you are seeing might be normal or not depending on how bad it is.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

There is a shift point at approximately 42 mph into 5th gear. You should see the tach drop about 500 rpm when this occurs. Maybe that's what you're noticing.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Enthusiast

I didn't know how else to describe what I've been feeling/experiencing so perhaps the word "chugging" wasn't the best choice of words. I should say that what I am feeling is very slight, yet noticeable. I'll have the dealer check out the fluid level the next time I take it in.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Perhaps, your vehicle is switching between 3 cyl and 6 cyl mode. Maybe you're right at the threshold of the power needed curve which helps your computer decide whether to be one way of the other. 6 cyl is too much, so the car switches to 3 cyl. But 3 cyl isn't enough, so the car switches back to 6 cyl. Over and over, again.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast

That's a good point bar10dah, I didn't think about that. I'll bet that's what it is, because I have noticed the "eco" light lags behind the actual switch from 6 to 3 cylinders. (at slow speeds the switch is apparent) It would also explain why the RPM's don't change while it is doing it. Seems perfectly logical to me.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:38 AM
Enthusiast

well, I thought/think my noise is transmission related but it is really hard to tell. One of my posts before describes the EGR valve replacement, and the car was taken in last week for a fix. well, sort of.

Lets just say that it is going back in today for it to be fixed "more".
the problem did get better but has not gone away altogether.

Instead of my 'shudder' noise being at a certain speed, it was at a certain rev points on the tachy. Honda Tech Ryan King at Sport Honda in Silver Spring MD told me of the problem being "known" a few months ago. . . so HAH owners should beware. It really might just be the EGR valve since the swap did improve it - but wtf?!

My HAH now has gone over the 36,000 miles for the warranty but Honda is working with me on this because it did start before and was made known to them well before.

Will let you know what happens today. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to update you all from the dealer, since I'll be waiting there for HOURS!

Old 07-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

So, what happened??

Old 07-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

well, the EGR valve replacement did NOT fix the 'chugging' noise. Furthermore, on the
3rd trip into the dealer for this, I could not replicate the noise with the Honda tech in the passenger seat to hear; as soon as I departed it kicked in again. Go figure.

Here's what I dont get - its onset is only when I hit a bump, of which Maryland has A LOT of. So, since it was recorded before the warranty, honda has said they will keep it open until it is resolved.

Any thoughts on why a bump in the road would cause a car to 'chugg' along until a rev range above or below that point ( around 1600) is hit? Further diagnostics/attempts show that it will do it at nearly any speed but only at that rev point and nothing more than moderate acceleration.

car has 36660 miles now.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Enthusiast

To me, this seems to be a clear case of your VCM kicking in. My car does this same thing. As soon as it warms up and my VCM starts to kick in, I get a little "jump" forward. You described what my car does perfectly. Sounds normal to me.