Trip Computer Errors

Old 05-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default Trip Computer Errors

After using the trip computer for a week now on my 96 mile each way comute, I have noticed serevral issues that I wanted to see if anyone else has or do I just have a defective unit.

Clock and Average MPH:
The E/T always seems to be incorrect. Example, after exactlly one hour of driving freeway (both confirmed by the clock on the dash and my cell phone), the E/T stated 0:43. Also, when done with my trip and hitting reset, I look at the history for that trip and see I was driving at an avaerage speed of 91mph.

Instance MPG:
When reseting the trip computer at a standstill and the start driving on a freeway, I can see the instant trip computer at 50MPG, but the average MPG on the trip computer is 29mpg. I can run for ten minutes at staying between instant of 40 and 50 but the average gets up to 31mpg. Is this just a sampling issues with the instant bars.

Trip Computer vs Trip A odometer:
I filled up, reset both the trip computer and Trip A odometer. After 1 1/2 hours of freeway speed, both have the same miles, but the average MPG if not the same (29.3 vs 31.6). Do they not use the same algorithm?

I am a new HAH user and just wanted to see if these are common issues or should I take my car back in.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trip Computer Errors

Afternoon, Garrett. Wow, I've not noticed the E/T thing. I'll watch it on the way home tonight.

As far as instant, you mention you re-set it from a standstill. You're probably getting 3 mpg for the first 10 mph increase and then may 10-20 mpg getting to cruising speed. You have to overcome that, so your instant would not be the same as your trip.

My Navi/trip computer uses GPS for mileage, as opposed to tire rotation for trip. In my testing, I've found the Navi to be more accurate. Among others, tire wear and amount of turns and curves can affect tire rotation. My Navi/trip adds up miles *slightly* faster giving it a *slightly* higher mpg.

I'll let you know about the E/T.

Tink

Old 05-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

OK, Garrett. I'm home - about a 40 minute trip - mostly highway. E/T was ~1.5 minutes less than clock. I assume that's about the same total time I was at traffic lights and stop signs, so mine appears accurate.

Incidentally, my trip was 44 miles at 42.3 mpg. Half on a country road around 55 mph. Half on a somewhat hilly highway with a slight elevation decline. My day of 92 miles finished at 39.2. BUT, I'm running about 50 miles with family tonight and will probably book about a 35 mpg run - they don't like driving with load....

Old 05-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Gauthig and Tink:

___Both of you might be interested in the sixth post down in the following thread:

By hand or by screen?

___Tink, I was actually hoping you would have read this already given your NAVI accuracy posts to date.

___Gauthig, the E/T is used in the mph calculation and it looks to calculate very closely to my usual Chicago traffic nightmare after an entire tank.

The following is information taken directly from the NAVI’s TC screen relative to this discussion over my first 7 tanks …

4/10/2005: E/T= Did not record /// TC Distance = 788.4 miles /// Avg. MPH = Did not record
4/14/2005: E/T= 17:32 ///////////// TC Distance = 859.0 miles /// Avg. MPH = 49.1 mph
4/19/2005: E/T= Did not record /// TC Distance = 766.3 miles /// Avg. MPH = Did not record
4/23/2005: E/T= 16:01 ///////////// TC Distance = 828.4 miles /// Avg. MPH = 51.7 mph
4/27/2005: E/T= 15:29 ///////////// TC Distance = 802.2 miles /// Avg. MPH = 51.8 mph
5/01/2005: E/T= 16:02 ///////////// TC Distance = 832.3 miles /// Avg. MPH = 51.9 mph
5/06/2005: E/T= 16:11 ///////////// TC Distance = 857.9 miles /// Avg. MPH = 53 mph

___The E/T’s match what I believe to be my normal slightly above the limit highway driving with the occasional Chicago traffic jams and local 2 to 3 mile drive through subdivisions, malls, local streets, security gates, parking lots, etc. from work or home. I will watch the E/T w/ the clock tomorrow morning again to be sure.

___As for the averaging mpg error from take off for 10 minutes, you are lucky to hit 29 mpg after that short a period. If you don’t believe the averaging display, reset it while you are moving at 55 mph and then you will see the average display more closely follow what the Instantaneous is showing. Any time you mix a start from stop to highway speed and highway speed together, you will always come up short on the averaging display even if you stayed at highway speed for an infinite period of time. You can however make that initial FE hit for the first 3 or 4 minutes become less of a hit by driving a longer distance. Tink is dead on right with his commentary about this.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 05-13-2005, 06:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Morning, xcel. I'm REALLY glad you referenced that other post. I'd missed your comments. I have now responded to that post.

I often access the site at the office, but I sandwich it in between calls, appointments, and emergencies. When I go back, everything's marked as read, so I sometimes miss out on some posts.

Good post - this one and the referenced.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help, I understand how it should work now. But after driving home yesterday I think I need to see the dealer.

I reset both the T/C & Trip A. I drove highway at ~ 65mph (except for the drive up a 4% grade) for 1:41hours without any stopping or major slowing down in traffic. When I got home the E/T stated 23 minutes and average mpg was 70.0 (seems to be a max)

The ignition was on for the entire 1:41 minutes I drove.

I'll post what the dealer does.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Definately something amiss. Looking forward to the update. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Gauthig:

___Yes, something is definitely amiss

___I did check my NAVI’s E/T and it was within 1 minute of the clock after 1 hour and 40 minutes with no forced Autostop’s this morning (really no error as it jumped back and forth between 0 and 1 minute for the whole trip - depends on when the computers second hand sweeps past 12 ). I hope the dealer has a clean replacement for you and that you are back on the road in very short order.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 05-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Enthusiast

The Honda dealer could not find the problem and Honda America stated they could not take my log into account. They want the dealer use the car for two days (without providing a rental) to test it.

But I am able to reproduce it. I drive mountain roads everyday and my trip into work is where I see most of this E/T thing not working. When my foot is off the gas (coasting down hill), E/T will not increment. Example, when hitting a peak mountain pass, I hit reset and coasted most of the way down (just foot off the gas, car was in drive). I have a great picture of going 5 miles in 1 minute with an average speed of 259mph.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Old 06-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

I do have a strange update. The dealer is talking to Honda America engineers and trying to come up with a cause / possible solution. I was told it could take some time as they have no record of this happening before. They do not want to fix it by replacing parts. The dealer stated that with the California Lemon Law, they no longer just replace parts and hope it works, as the only get 3 attempts in the first year to do that before I can call it a lemon.

So, the lemon law which is suppose to protect consumers, may actually slow repairs down.

Other than that issue, the car is a pleasure to drive and fill-up as I am getting 29~34mpg in my daily 192 mile commute (86 each way).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trip Computer Errors

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands