Whats the Best Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Whats the Best Tire Pressure

I have a 05 HAH and I am using the Micheline tires recommended for the vehicle. My questions is at what pressure is best to keep in these tires? I checked after I had my oil changed and all 4 had just over 40lbs in each. But no 2 had the same, so I made it so each had 35lbs but I notice a change in my MPG. Who out there know whats recommended? I am getting around 32 per gal but I have a slight heavy foot and drive around 70mph on the highway. Most of my mileage is highway since I drive over 50 miles to work. My city miles really suck in this car.

I have another question about the battery, the non hybrid battery. I bought this car used and have around 120k on it and I am assuming its the original battery. I have had it jumped 5 times in the last 14 mos. I keep putting off buying a new one since after getting the jump I have no more trouble with it for awhile. anyone have this or have seen the problem? Do I have a bad cell causing this? Thanks

Old 07-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Whats the Best Tire Pressure

What tires do you have, and what's the indicated maximum pressure, shown on the sidewall. Regardless, something around 42/40 front/rear would get you a bit better mileage. It'll make you feel every pothole and speed bump a bit more, so it's up to you.

Does the battery have the red/blue indicator window? What's it showing? If it's clear, and considering the number of jumps, I would get a new battery ASAP. With a hybrid a weak 12 volt is likely overtaxing the big IMA battery.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 AM

I keep the recommended 32 psi in my tires. I've bumped up to 35 and even 37 psi and didn't notice any increase in mpg. Others have posted 37 psi is the max they go due to the ride being too harsh beyond that.

I would replace the 12V battery. I hear the Kirkland battery available at Costco performed very well and was fairly cheap.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
What tires do you have, and what's the indicated maximum pressure, shown on the sidewall. Regardless, something around 42/40 front/rear would get you a bit better mileage. It'll make you feel every pothole and speed bump a bit more, so it's up to you.

Does the battery have the red/blue indicator window? What's it showing? If it's clear, and considering the number of jumps, I would get a new battery ASAP. With a hybrid a weak 12 volt is likely overtaxing the big IMA battery.

Whats so strange about when I need to have my battery jumps is that it takes no time whatsoever to charge it and the engine fires up.

Now the tire pressure, I don't know if I want to go back to 4opsi. I like the feel of the 35psi because the car rides better. But I need the mileage since I drive 100miles per day. Its a toss up and I can't lighten up on the gas pedal much more or I'll be sitting still at around 70mph. Sometimes I feel as if I'm sitting still as the traffic goes by if you know what I mean.

Thanks, Ill probably buy a new battery this weekend not sure what type though.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by lebloom
Whats so strange about when I need to have my battery jumps is that it takes no time whatsoever to charge it and the engine fires up.
The reason is because the 12V battery doesn't start the car. The 144V one does. The reason your car won't start when the 12V battery is dead is because the ECU and related electrical relays are powered by the 12V battery. So I got to thinking, if the 12V battery dies, I wonder if I would be able plug a 12V power source into the cigarette outlet and be able to energize the ECU and relays enough to allow the car to start? I know they sell the small 12V power source such as that so you can disconnect your battery and not lose the presets on your radio. I might have to buy one to try out.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I found a good compromise to be 37 PSI, 40 and up was too rough a ride.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I found a good compromise to be 37 PSI, 40 and up was too rough a ride."

Your not kidding, I had 40lbs in my tires and driving the interstate to work everyday was getting harder. This road is not the best and when I changed to 35lbs it like driving on a cloud, night and day. I don't understand Honda being one if not the biggest car manufactuer making this vehicle with such a crappy ride. Must be a foreign thing.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:30 PM

My door suggestion for the tires are 32psi x4.
My tire sidewall is rated 51PSI and that's where I keep them. Yes they're hard as rock but they just roll "Forever".

I drive 50 miles to work, almost exclusively freeway and currently averaging 58-61MPG.
Tire pressure is one of the most important tools in the MPG toolbox. I've been so used to the increased pressure that it feels as though drivng through soft smushy sand below about 45PSI.

DON'T go to the dealer to have your 12V battery replaced. Mine went out at around 90,000 miles and the dealer wanted $119. I think I got my replacement at AutoZone for about $35.

-Steve

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 07-10-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Battery comment
Old 07-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

My door suggestion for the tires are 32psi x4.
My tire sidewall is rated 51PSI and that's where I keep them. Yes they're hard as rock but they just roll "Forever".

I drive 50 miles to work, almost exclusively freeway and currently averaging 58-61MPG.
Tire pressure is one of the most important tools in the MPG toolbox. I've been so used to the increased pressure that it feels as though drivng through soft smushy sand below about 45PSI.

DON'T go to the dealer to have your 12V battery replaced. Mine went out at around 90,000 miles and the dealer wanted $119. I think I got my replacement at AutoZone for about $35.

Don't think my Accord Hybrid will with 120k will be able to do 50mpg unless I coast downhill. Im lucky to get maybe 35mpg when driving 55mph but on an interstate I drive maybe 65 - 70mph and come out with 33mpg.

I think I'll be buying me a new battery this weekend with the problems that batteries giving me. My friend owns a repair shop he sell these Staab batterys. Ever hear of them? He says their great, who knows?

Old 07-10-2009, 06:25 PM

When responding to posts, make sure you're giving car "x" advice in car "x" threads. Lebloom, why you're confused about the 50+ MPG is because Hot Georgia is a Civic driver.

However, one time when I filled up my car and got right back on the 55 MPH interstate, with the cruise control set to 62 MPH, I was getting 52 MPG . Of course, that stopped as soon as the speed limit went back up to 75 MPH.