Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

Idea - Time since last fill up

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Vegetarian
Default Idea - Time since last fill up

Just an idea, don't know if it's at all possible, or really that practical...

I was thinking it'd be cool to have a thing like the mileage signatures that could display info about how long it's been since you last filled up, for those that log their mileage to the database for every tank of gas. There could maybe be a box that could be checked if that's the way you log data... adding a date of fuel purchase somehow would make for more accurate readings... there could maybe even be a table of average time between fill ups? For example, for me it'll be 4 weeks tomorrow since the last time I had to fill up (though, admittedly, the time previous to that was only 5 days before), I think that's rather impressive, something else to brag about.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Idea - Time since last fill up

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
Just an idea, don't know if it's at all possible, or really that practical...

I was thinking it'd be cool to have a thing like the mileage signatures that could display info about how long it's been since you last filled up, for those that log their mileage to the database for every tank of gas. There could maybe be a box that could be checked if that's the way you log data... adding a date of fuel purchase somehow would make for more accurate readings... there could maybe even be a table of average time between fill ups? For example, for me it'll be 4 weeks tomorrow since the last time I had to fill up (though, admittedly, the time previous to that was only 5 days before), I think that's rather impressive, something else to brag about.
jason, would it be possible to add another field to the gas mileage database for "date of fillup" and then have the horizontal axis of the mileage graph have a "time" versus "fillup number" option? just brainstorming, here... i know, for a hardware guy like me, "anything is not only possible, but easy, with software...."

Old 02-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

The problem with that is there is such variability in the number of miles driven per day/week that the days/weeks between fill-ups will also vary. I drive approx 40 miles each way to work and I drive an HH so I tend to fill up 3x for every 2week pay period. Others who don't drive as far each day will obviously be filling up less often.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Site Founder

I have a couple problems with this. The first is that the feature would require everyone to have all the information available (when they filled up, etc.) and they'd have to consistently submit accurate data. Losing one receipt with a date will mess everything up. Secondly, the mileage database is simple and intuitive. The more features I add and the busier it gets, the less people who are going to want to participate. 90% of people don't really need/want all the bells and whistles.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shiloh
The problem with that is there is such variability in the number of miles driven per day/week that the days/weeks between fill-ups will also vary. I drive approx 40 miles each way to work and I drive an HH so I tend to fill up 3x for every 2week pay period. Others who don't drive as far each day will obviously be filling up less often.
yeah, very true.

maybe a new database just for folks who tank up infrequently?

whatever..... sometimes i'm just too agreeable to suggestions...
(and sometimes not, if you check my other posts... )
+af