Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

Mileage database -- farthest on a tank

Old 12-03-2004, 09:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Looking at the achievement page of the mileage database, it seems that the "farthest on a tank" area is corrupted a little, no fault to the keepers of this wonderful site (who do a fabulous job, might I add). 1,800+ miles on a Prius II with 57.4 mpg? That's over 31 gallons...seems like 2 tanks to me. I know the one for the HCH is over 2 tanks...I've contacted him, and he asked me how to change it. I told him, but he didn't do it...oh, well.

Just seems that this part of it really makes me wonder how real those numbers are.

Mark

Old 12-03-2004, 12:41 PM
Site Founder

Yeah, I've noticed that. The figures in the database are pretty accurate... it's just that sometimes members group tanks together. I think I'll probably get rid of that "achievement" category, soon.

Old 12-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Buzz70:

___I didn’t notice it until you brought it up. I just looked back and you caught the last one as well! The last time it happened, I PM’ed and E-Mailed the author and he changed his tank data to fix the problem. I will do the same for the Prius II driver.

___Jason, instead of removing it, how about making it a manual entry? I keep the Hypermiler list up to date the best I can and if I see some great numbers, I am usually ask a few questions and promote the success with more detail?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 12-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Site Founder

Wayne,
The records will be useless if they are not accurate 100% of the time. And, considering the database growth is exponential, it's going to become more and more of a responsibility. I think automation is really the best way to go.

Old 12-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by xcel@Dec 3rd 2004 @ 8:15 PM
Hi Buzz70:

___I didn’t notice it until you brought it up. I just looked back and you caught the last one as well! The last time it happened, I PM’ed and E-Mailed the author and he changed his tank data to fix the problem. I will do the same for the Prius II driver.

___Jason, instead of removing it, how about making it a manual entry? I keep the Hypermiler list up to date the best I can and if I see some great numbers, I am usually ask a few questions and promote the success with more detail?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
Yes, it was me.

Rectified when I saw what I did.

Farthest on a tank, there's me and xcel here...

I was thinking about asking the Guiness Book of record if I could be in the book....

Would be nice....

Old 12-03-2004, 07:54 PM

Hi All:

___I think I see a pattern as Kryptic Soul is still messing up the HCH’s and I sent him a PM months ago. My latest E-Mail bounced from his domain so he might not exist anymore? Hgz005’s Prius II is a combination of month over month data. It appears as if he did not want to maintain every tank so he combined them.

___Jason, if you place a disclaimer in the “Add Tank Data” form, this might not happen? I doubt anyone is doing this on purpose as they probably don’t know the achievement record page exists.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 12-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Site Founder

I think the thing we all need to realize is that a website is strictly utilitarian. I cannot expect everyone to follow the rules, so I must anticipate and cater to those who don't. I must expect the unexpected.

That said, if it's possible that people combine tanks (and they do), the best thing I can do is make sure that when they do, it doesn't cause any problems. Out of all the solutions, I think that simply getting rid of the farthest-on-tank record is best.

Remember, there are currently 216 "active" cars in the database. Likely 90% don't even browse the system as thoroughly as you do. So, what may seem practical to you may not be as obvious to everyone else.

Off Topic:
Wayne, don't you have a PM to respond to?
B)

Old 12-03-2004, 09:12 PM

Hi Jason:

___Yes, I do

___The wild range(s) and increased FE is what makes the Hybrid a viable replacement over and above the average automobile. If you take away another plus that new members or anonymous browsers can see in the achievement records, you lose another opportunity for those sitting on the fence of purchasing a hybrid … or not? The only item they know is that their Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla receives 38 mpg on the highway (because they have never actually calculated it and because the EPA says that is what they receive) whereas the Prius II receives 49 mpg all-around in the real world. A total of 11 mpg? Big whoop That won’t make many jump the fence but when they see a Prius II traveled 967 miles, an HCH, 900 + miles (one of you non-PZEV based HCH pilots are going to achieve this by next spring … hint hint ), an Insight at 1,523 miles … That is a big deal because they do actually know there Civic or Corolla can only travel 300 to 400 miles before they have to re-fuel in their own real world.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 12-04-2004, 05:57 AM
Site Founder

Hm. The only other *automated* alternative I can think of is to set the tank size for each vehicle (if there are different sizes, the largest...) and if a tank seems to exceed this by more than 10% or so, I disqualify it from the records.

I'm open to a discussion on this, but I do feel strongly that it needs to be automated.

Old 12-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Your last suggestion sounds good if it is easy to do. I like the idea of the achievement records, it gives browsers information about how good the cars can be. It also gives members something to shoot for.

Billy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mileage database -- farthest on a tank

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands