06 Highlander Inverter Failure!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 Highlander Inverter Failure!

Wondering how everyone made out with Toyota. I posted my story on a new thread but I was looking for followup from non-warranty failures?
monte b??
otrl2001??
MBW0106??
Thanks!

Old 06-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Enthusiast

2006 Highlander Hybrid V6 4x4 LTD. Inverter failure. Dealer quoted 9K+, Toyota said they will kick in 2K. Thankfully I was driving at low speed. I shudder to think of my 16 year old on I-95 between two trucks with COMPLETE power failure. This is not right. I saw a Toyota commercial last night and they also brag on their main website, "$1 Million an hour spent on safety"!!!!!!!!! Yet apparently 06 highlander owners are rolling down the road in death traps, which if you survive, will cost 25% of the list price to fix!!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast

Please report your invert failure to the NHTSA (888)327-4236. Only takes a few minutes and multiple complaints hopefully will lead to an investigation. Please file a complaint even if your inverter is replaced under warranty.

The NHSTA rep that took my compliant suggested filing complaints with both the FTC (877)382-4357 and your state's Attorney General.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast

I was doing 65 mph on the turnpike in rush hour in the passing lane when my '06 HH began to decelerate and the dashboard lit up with VSC, check engine, hybrid, and ABS. Somehow I managed to coast into the shoulder, and feel lucky to be alive. It's been in the shop for a week and we just heard back from Toyota that the Inverter failed. They said they filed it with Toyota HQ and are going to go to bat for us. We'll see. The Service manager wouldn't even quote us the repairs because they are so costly (more than the car is worth). It has 115,000 miles on it, so warranty has run out. Still have 8 more lease payments to make and then the buyout. We heard the '06 have the Prius inverter, but they realized it couldn't carry the weight, so in '07 they switched them out. I will be calling the NHTSA to report what happened. This is a very dangerous issue and Toyota should do the responsible thing and address it. If you are having the same issue, please feel free to send me an email woodfamily20verizon.net

Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

Just saw the new posting. I called the FTC number that was given and made a report as suggested. I had already made report with the NTHSB when our vehicle failed in April. Our Highlander was still under warranty and was covered for the new inverter. I hope everyone contacts not only these sources but also their state consumer protection agencies as well.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Enthusiast

Our 06 HiHy Ltd 2WD just committed seppuku a few days ago. Turning onto a busy street and trying to slot into one of the infrequent gaps in traffic, I gave it a little extra bump on the gas as it pulled out, and before getting up to 30mph, it coughed, shuddered a bit, and suddenly we were coasting on a Christmas tree. Had it towed to Toyota, where it sat for a day before they opened it up and discovered that the inverter had failed. They're now busy trying to source a replacement, apparently there aren't any in the region, and it sounds like the downtime is likely to be on the order of a week, possibly more. Dealer commented that the inverter's a $7000 part.

This is a little disappointing, especially since there seem to be several threads with people suffering this sort of thing.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Enthusiast

I would urge anyone who has had an inverter fail in their Highlander to contact the NHTSA. I made a report and got an email from someone named Steve Chan.( steve.chan@dot.gov )

If this is happening in many Highlanders, and it is a catastrophic failure, then the more people who report it, the better chance there will be not to have others experience the same problem and potentially be hurt or killed.

So contact the NHTSA and make the report. Who knows, if this is a Toyota problem, even those of you with Highlanders that had the problem past the warranty could get their money back!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Angry Re: 06 Highlander Inverter Failure!

I was a devoted 20+ year customer of Toyota. As of today, that all ended. September 18th, my 2006 Highlander Hybrid stopped right at my driveway. As others have stated, the SUV jerked twice and all of the lights came on. I tried to start the SUV again and it would not start.
Four days later, I had the truck towed to the dealer. They in turned told me that I owed $13,000 for the failed inverter. THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!! Yes my truck has 109,000+ miles on it, but it is only 4 years old and I still owe $9300. Why in the world should I pay $13,000 for a vehicle that I still owe $9300 and can not drive it. STUPID!!!!

Anyway, I kept calling to see if I could get any assistance. I kept pushing until I reached a Supervisor in Corporate. After a week and a half of phone calling, they boldly told me that there was nothing they could do for me and that they were closing my case. More was said, but I will not go into that. What happened to making a customer happy? There reputation is pathetic and they did not want to listen to me.

They will never ever have to worry about me purchasing another vehicle from them. I loved Toyota - had been driving there vehicles since I was sixteen. I've never been so disappointed in my life. I've decided to let them keep the truck.

I am hurt and very angry. I loved my truck. I feel like I just went through a divorce.

Last edited by FormerToyotaCustomer; 09-29-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FormerToyotaCustomer
I was a devoted 20+ year customer of Toyota. As of today, that all ended. September 18th, my 2006 Highlander Hybrid stopped right at my driveway. As others have stated, the SUV jerked twice and all of the lights came on. I tried to start the SUV again and it would not start.
Four days later, I had the truck towed to the dealer. They in turned told me that I owed $13,000 for the failed inverter. THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!! Yes my truck has 109,000+ miles on it, but it is only 4 years old and I still owe $9300. Why in the world should I pay $13,000 for a vehicle that I still owe $9300 and can not drive it. STUPID!!!!

Anyway, I kept calling to see if I could get any assistance. I kept pushing until I reached a Supervisor in Corporate. After a week and a half of phone calling, they boldly told me that there was nothing they could do for me and that they were closing my case. More was said, but I will not go into that. What happened to making a customer happy? There reputation is pathetic and they did not want to listen to me.

They will never ever have to worry about me purchasing another vehicle from them. I loved Toyota - had been driving there vehicles since I was sixteen. I've never been so disappointed in my life. I've decided to let them keep the truck.

I am hurt and very angry. I loved my truck. I feel like I just went through a divorce.
Well, in some ways, you did

That said, do call around wrecking yards - you may be able to get a good used inverter and keep on trucking. Take a look at http://www.automotix.net/autoexchange.html Don't take the stealer's word on the cost.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

I've read several of these reports where the inverter failed and the repair was either covered or not covered. I just experienced the same thing and my inverter was replaced under warrantee. However,-- the point is--, I could have been killed or seriously maimed.

Why are they waiting until they fail to do something? How many people may have been killed or injured that this happened to and we never heard about it? My car broke down on a very busy highway with cars going extremely fast. I could not get the car off to the side, it just stopped dead. Cars were whipping up behind me, slamming on their brakes at the last minute and then squeezing beside me in between my car and the cars in the next lane. This was terrifying and I've read where people on I95 had this happen to them. I think it is highly unlikely that no one has been hit and injured or killed

I think if Toyota isn't forced to be upfront about this matter and start a recall that some of should get together in a class-action suit.

Not only was I scared to death, I did not get respectful treatment from Toyota when I had my car towed there. I was basically told to have my emergency on a weekend. I am a 71-year-old woman, and all I was asking for was a loaner car or a ride home.

Carol

Quick Reply: 06 Highlander Inverter Failure!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands