2WD v 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2WD v 4WD

This is a parallel thread to one I started on the Ford Escape area. I now have decided the Escape is too small and so am focusing on the Highlander.

I live in Baltimore most winters, and my FWD Prius has been just fine. I am now thinking about the Highlander because I could use something a bit bigger.

I don't think I will do much that is true offroad, though it could be comforting to have 4WD, I suppose. But I assume FWD is plenty for say gravel roads on the way to camp sites, etc.?

Old 03-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2WD v 4WD

If its in your budget, I would just get the 4wd version. I'm not familar with your terrain, but our 06 has been a very capable vehicle for our weekly ski trips up to the mountains. I do have the snow tires on all 4 wheels.

Even off the mountain, when we had our freaky snowstorm in Seattle last December, only our 4wd HiHy could get us out onto the streets and around our unplowed roads, while our FWD car couldn't get out of its parking space.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast

I would second that. If the the current 4WDi system is similar to that in the 2006 Highlander, it's well worth the extra bucks.

The rear wheels are all electric, and are only used when needed (determined by the car... that 'i' stands for intelligence - seriously). I've felt them used when accellerating rapidly to pass, and when the traction control kicks on. It adds additional traction, but also adds power to the car itself.

-Steve

Old 03-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diver110
This is a parallel thread to one I started on the Ford Escape area. I now have decided the Escape is too small and so am focusing on the Highlander.

I live in Baltimore most winters, and my FWD Prius has been just fine. I am now thinking about the Highlander because I could use something a bit bigger.

I don't think I will do much that is true offroad, though it could be comforting to have 4WD, I suppose. But I assume FWD is plenty for say gravel roads on the way to camp sites, etc.?
Go 4wd all the way. Minimal if any, difference in mileage, huge difference in day to day driveability. Also, serious fun when you punch the gas.
I got 25.5 mpg on a bonzai tour of the US (8,500 miles in 14 days). I can get 28 to 30 toodling around town.

I also own the Escape Hybrid. It gets better mileage on both fronts, but the freeway mileage isn't that much better. Further, it feels tinny and light on the highway. The Highlander is just a joy on long trips.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would expect to see a hybrid I4 version of the new Venza within a year or so. Probably drop the rear motor in favor of the current model's F/awd system. Even nicer would be a DFI/Atkinson hybrid version of the new I4.

Maybe from Lexus....??