Anyone towing with the Highlander?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 03:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Anyone towing with the Highlander?

I'm interested in how well the Highlander tows, and what gas mileage folks are getting when towing. What weight and type of trailer are you towing? In particular I'm wondering about the "lightweight" pop up tent trailers that weigh between 2500 and 3000 lbs. But any experience would be good to hear about!

Old 07-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone towing with the Highlander?

I've towed lots with my HiHy. It tows great! I've got a 5' X10' utility trailer. I've only towed short trips: less than 40 miles, so I don't really know about the gas mileage effect. I can tell you it has more than enough power. The largest load (and longest trip) I pulled was 1 and 1/2 cuyds of crushed granite. The guy told me that was about 3000lbs. My trailer weighs about 750lbs. It pulled it just fine, but I did notice it using lots more gas during acceleration and when driving up hills. On the flip side, you can coast for days and days. Breaking also re-generates lots with the extra weight. Since it was a short trip it had little to no effect on the tank.

The highlander is more than capable towing it's max weigh of 3500lbs and therefore, a pop-up as you describe. Unofrtunately, I can't elaborate on the gas mileage. I'm sure it would take a hit.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Charged

Just towed 700 miles round trip with a 2K pound popup, camping gear, wife and child, and bike rack with two bikes on the roof. Cruised around 70 on the Interstates, 60 on the back roads, travel distance split evenly between the two.

16 mpg.

Disappointing mileage, but the performance was dandy. Got up to highway speeds no problem, the suspension handled the load no problem, and the rig tracked straight and true.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:14 AM
no more oil

hi
thats great. 16mpg adding 2000 pounds towing is fantastic actually. Good for you.

cheers

Old 07-26-2006, 04:15 PM
joe540ci

I have towed a 6x12 enclosed trailer--With my P.O.S. DURANGO I got 8.9 mph over a 1780 mi trip..So i hooked it up to my hihy and went 70-75 MPH annd I got 16.6

Last edited by JOE540CI; 07-28-2006 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Charged

Originally Posted by tomdavie
hi
thats great. 16mpg adding 2000 pounds towing is fantastic actually. Good for you.

cheers
I should give myself a reality check. 16mpg with this setup *is* pretty good, especially compared to what the mileage would have been with something like a Suburban. I used to have a diesel Touareg (a wonderful, yet horrible car...glad to be rid of it) and got spoiled by the mileage on that one. I towed a car dolly weighing in at 5500 lbs with that truck. 1200 mile one-way trip. The Touareg itself weighed 5800 lbs, so my total rig was over 11K pounds. Travelling strictly by Interstate, cruise set at 70, I got 18mpg with that setup.

Bottom line: I was spoiled by the diesel. However, I am stupendously more pleased with the HiHy than I was with the Treg.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Banned
Default A Picture of Interest from HybridFest 2006

HybridFest 2006

Old 07-27-2006, 10:07 AM
no more oil

I agree, a diesel hybrid is probably the best of both worlds, especially a plug in version.

cheers

Old 08-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have a non Highbrid v6 Highlander and it tows my 2 jetskis 1800 lbs no problem.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moneypenny
I should give myself a reality check. 16mpg with this setup *is* pretty good, especially compared to what the mileage would have been with something like a Suburban. I used to have a diesel Touareg (a wonderful, yet horrible car...glad to be rid of it) and got spoiled by the mileage on that one. I towed a car dolly weighing in at 5500 lbs with that truck. 1200 mile one-way trip. The Touareg itself weighed 5800 lbs, so my total rig was over 11K pounds. Travelling strictly by Interstate, cruise set at 70, I got 18mpg with that setup.

Bottom line: I was spoiled by the diesel. However, I am stupendously more pleased with the HiHy than I was with the Treg.

I am more confused than ever after checking internet about HiHy towing capacity. I have a 2006 HiHy with towing prep. Some people are saying that the towing capacity is 3500lbs. Is that true?

Quick Reply: Anyone towing with the Highlander?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands