Nothing easier than this...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Nothing easier than this...

We had the dealer quote us the service cost of a 15,000 service. It was pretty expensive (for Toyota) and somewhere north of $300 so my wife asked...OK, what EXACTLY is involved in this super-duper service? The reply was... :We change oil (check, about $30 around here), balance your tires (not needed as I have a separate agreement with Discount tire for lifetime balancing, rotating, etc), change your engine air filter ($10.50) and cabin air filters ($12.75) and we "check" any number of other issues. Hmmm, seems like we are paying a LOT of $'s for them to "check" things. Shouldn't they "check" things for free? We let them do the std oil change and then I ordered the filters and replaced them both myself. I was probably the most simple, easy to do process of ANYTHING I have EVER done on ANY vehicle. Engine filter took me (literally) less than 30 seconds after opening the hood. The Cabin filter took about 1 minute. Neither process required ANY tools what-so-ever. Granted, the cabin filter indicated that a phillips head screwdriver could be used but it was not needed. We saved $110.50 ($49.50 for Cabin and $30 for Air Filter + $31 for wheel "balancing"). Of course, I keep all receipts and dates of self service so that these can also be used later to support any service reviews (if needed).

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-15-2007 at 07:50 PM.