Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Oil change

Does anybody change their own oil on their HiHy? After 20,000 miles, I'm starting to get sick of paying $15 at the Toyota dealer for oil changes that I can do myself. Another thing, has anyone used a full synthetic in their hybrids? Thanks!

Old 03-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil change

Yes, and Yes - Mobil1 5W30

Old 03-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

I just found out that Pennzoil makes a 0W-20 for hybrid vehicles. There is a thread on it, but I figured I would start anew in the HiHy. Anybody ever use it? http://www.pennzoil.com/products/mot.../platinum.html

Old 03-13-2007, 04:24 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Originally Posted by collegejester
Does anybody change their own oil on their HiHy? After 20,000 miles, I'm starting to get sick of paying $15 at the Toyota dealer for oil changes that I can do myself. Another thing, has anyone used a full synthetic in their hybrids? Thanks!

Yes. Mobil 1 was using 5w30 but after the last Toyota bulletin now usinig 5w20 as recommended.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob259
Yes. Mobil 1 was using 5w30 but after the last Toyota bulletin now usinig 5w20 as recommended.
Can you elaborate for us non-oil knowledgable people, please?

Old 03-13-2007, 05:22 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WebG
Can you elaborate for us non-oil knowledgable people, please?
There was a discussion in the Tundra Solutions forum on this awhile back (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...tenance-alert/ ). When I went to the dealer I asked them about it and they confirmend that Toyota had changed their recommendation to the 5w20 weight oil for the HH and RXH from 5w30.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

In service bulletin EG018-06 dated March 29, 2006 all 2006 and 2007 Toyota and Sion vehicles now use ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-20 oil as the Toyota genuine engine oil. This supersedes the 5W-30 oil previously approved for most Toyota 2006 vehicles. Thus you may use 5W-20 even if your owners manual recommends 5W-30 for the above listed vehicles.

Toyota only approves of the 0W-20 GF-4 oil for the 2.4L 4-cylinder 2AZ-FE engine in the 2006 and 2007 Camry, Solera, Highlander, and RAV4. New Toyota engines being developed will use the 0W-20 oil.

The 5W-20 will give slightly better fuel mileage and cold start performance than 5W-30.

A note in the bulletin states:

DO NOT use these oils in engines other than those listed above. These low–viscosity oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs and could result in smoke emissions from the tailpipe and/or unusual engine noise.

There is nothing wrong with continuing the use 5W-30 oil in the Highlander Hybrid if you choose. It may provide a slightly better margin in protection under very severe operating conditions compared to the 5W-20.

Most automakers are shifting to lower viscosity oils to increase their corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) to comply with US regulations -and so they can sell more higher HP vehicles without penalty.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by collegejester
$15 is really cheap considering the cost of the oil and filter. Of course, you could have a dealer like mine which still uses the 5-30 and forgot to tighten the drain plug.

We park our HiHy on the street and I've been noticing big oil spots on the street, but figured it was one of the many construction workers old work trucks/vans. But then this weekend, I parked on a clean driveway and when we pulled out, there was this huge oil spot. Good thing I had my wrenches and it was only a quart low.

I check my oil levels regularly on my old cars, but never figured I needed to with our new one as well.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Enthusiast

I ended up using pennzoil's full synthetic 5w-30, with a Fram extended Guard filter. I'm taking a little 400 mile roadtrip over the next couple hours, so we'll see how the 5.2 quarts of oil work out. BTW, for those who wish to change their oil, the 8 screws to remove the plate below the oil filter are easily accessible and make changing the filter a snap since approaching the filter from the top of the car is near impossible because of the coolant reservoir in the way.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:57 PM
me2
Enthusiast

Yes, I change my own oil and use full synthetic 5w30. The only annoying part is having to remove that plastic shield from the bottom to get access to the filter. They ought to have a little door in that plastic piece to allow for easy filter access. I use a Fram quick-connect drain plug to replace the standard plug on the oil pan.