Still feel like I'm filling the tank as often ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Enthusiast
Angry Still feel like I'm filling the tank as often ...

Hey, I'm new to the forum and I just got my RX400h. I read the manual. I understand what they mean about their "mileage tips". I've applied all of the techniques recommended and I still think I'm filling my tank as often as I did with my gas guzzler. I spoke to the dealer who said the mileage improves after the first 1,000 miles. I think that might just be bull*&%#. Anyone else have the same experience or any tips other than what the manual says?

frustrated in LA

Old 06-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Still feel like I'm filling the tank as often ...

Your Lexus is an HSD based vehicle, so I would assume the same rules apply to you as they do to us driving the Prius.

First off, fuel economy isn't all that exciting for about the first 1000 miles. That is true. However, it keeps getting better and better as you get further into the "break-in" of the vehicle. Toyota builds their vehicles to exceedingly tight tolerances and because of that, when people talk about tight new Toyotas, they really mean it. The Prius is the tightest new car I have ever owned, so I'm not surprised by what you are saying about your Lexus.

My economy at the very beginning with the Prius was pretty disappointing, about 35mpg, much lower than the EPA numbers. However, it is highly unlikely that you will ever hit the EPA numbers, just like most Prius drivers never hit the EPA numbers.

Take a look at the mileage database on the site, and read some of the posts in the Prius forum and I think you will get a good idea of what the first 10,000 miles are going to be like.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:10 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Still feel like I'm filling the tank as often ...

Jerome,

I'm aware that I can expect 27 mpg as opposed to the listed 30 mpg..
I'm very heartened by what you say about the first 1000 miles. I will continue to monitor my mileage and hopefully, I can confirm your information. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Lexus and I think the statement made by people who buy hybrids is important.

Optomisitic in LA

Old 06-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Laruski,

Evan Fusco wrote an article that is in the 'learn' section of this forum on MPG, particularly directed towards new owners like yourself who are far from EPA. Recommended reading.

The bottom line: The *average* HSD vehicle will be about 10% below EPA. Driving conditions and driver habits will place each driver on a bell curve that extends 20% from the average in either direction.

In the meantime, fill up your tyres, and enjoy the ride ! My wife would kill for that car ..

Old 06-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

We now have 2000 miles on our 400h and are getting lousy combined mileage of 17-22MPG. The car drives beautifully, but there is not much, if any, savings from the added expense of the purchase price over a gas version. Please let us all know if your mileage improves. I can't imagine who out there is getting 35 MPG with this vehicle. It is very disappointing for us, and the sticker seems to have totally unrealistic mileage on it.
William

Old 06-25-2005, 12:46 PM

Don't compare what you get to the sticker. Compare what you get to what you get in another similar vehicle. All EPA stickers are high. The EPA test its out of touch with todays driving habits.

Try to find the sweet spot in your car. That would be the spot where you have the best combination of mileage vs. what speed you want to drive.

You may find that you want to drive 75 on the highway but you can live with driving 65. Try driving the speed limit or 5 or 10mph below and see if you can live with that.

A lot of good economy comes from driving style. When I drive my HCH I get between 55 and 65 mpg when I drive for economy but when I drive like I don't care about economy I get 42. My EPA is 46/47mpg. Experiment with your car. Also if you can find a different route that has less stops thats obviously always a plus. Stop signs kill economy.

I hope you guys start to see an increase. Those SUVs sure do cost a bunch of money and it would be ashame to feel like your not getting your moneys worth.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

It looks like this could be the downfall of the luxury hybrid segment. Spending 50K and not getting good fe leaves a very bad impression.

Personally I think it was a huge mistake to try to market hybrids as "more power, less gas".

The power on the current models was plenty good enough. What was lacking was fuel economy, which hybridization was supposed to add. Focus on one feature, focusing on two was a disaster waiting to happen.

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Those SUVs sure do cost a bunch of money and it would be ashame to feel like your not getting your moneys worth.