Trailer wiring on 2006 HiHy

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Trailer wiring on 2006 HiHy

I've found little to no accurate information out there on the wiring for the HiHy for trailer lights, so I've decided to put this out there to help.

After installing an after market hitch on this vehicle (amazingly easy), I started the search for the correct wiring for the trailer lights. I pull a simple, but stout 5'X8' trailer for mulch, compost, rocks, etc. The wiring was nothing but simple at the beginning - partly due to varying manufacturers' literature that hasn't been updated. I know the HiHy comes standard with the towing package (only includes wiring and transmission cooler according to Toyota). No one could find the connector at the hitch places. The two dealers I called said I would need two parts; one $60 and the other $50. This sounded rediculous to me since it was supposed to come with the towing package (again standard only on the hybrid model).

To make a long story short, I was able to get a single plug wiring harness for about $25. With a little persistance from a local trailer hitch installer, we found that a Draw-Tite 18248 works perfectly for the HiHy. Draw-Tite's book calls for a different number, but the tech at the hitch installer knew the right person to call at Draw-Tite. They confirmed the book was incorrect for the Hybrid model even though the book said it included the Hybrid. Draw-Tite said they were getting several calls on this. It took a week to get an answer, but Draw-Tite recommended the above stock number and it does fit the connector perfectly.

To find the factory tow harness connector you will have to open the rear cargo door and look under the driver side storage tray. You will have to remove the door threshold, tire tool tray, and then the rear driver side storage bin. This is by far the hardest part. Removing and reinstalling that tray is royal pain in the rear. Underneath this bin you will find several connectors that could potentially be the one. Look closely, there will be a large off white rectangular connector covered in a grey foam protector. This connector will most likely be hiding under one of the wire harnesses, so you will have to look for it. It helps to have the above harness with you when you do this. Plug this in, unravel the wire and route it to where you want it and you're done. Well, except for putting everything back where it belongs (and bolting down the ground wire).

All for about $25.

By the way, all of the wiring harnesses come with instructions and pictures, but they aren't completly accurate.

I hope this curbs the frustration for others.

Anthony

Last edited by PflHybrid; 03-25-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Trailer wiring on 2006 HiHy

Thanks for the info on the wiring. Are you happy with the choices you made for the hitch itself? How easy was it to install? We're thinking of adding a hitch mainly for bikes, but possibly a boat later. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by wcwiii; 05-16-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:59 AM
650 Volt

I've been going 'round and 'round with this since I bought my HiHy back in Sept of '05. The dealership kept insisting that there was no towing package on the car.

Now if I can just find the part!

Old 03-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Toyota does offer a trailer hitch for your HiHy. I got one installed from the Toyota dealer about a month ago. There are two options, one with and the other without the wiring harness. I ordered the hitch without the wiring harness, but the installer accidentally installed the wiring harness and I got that option for free... I think that was about a $100 savings. On my invoice, it has some part no (?) 16TOZ, not sure if that helps.

The hitch is great, well worth the money. I bought a Bauer bike rack and mounting it and my bike to the HiHy is like night and day compared the same exercise with my traditional rack that mounted on the back of my passenger car's trunk. Literally a few minutes to mount and secure the rack and then do the same with the bike.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast

The hitch is really easy to install. The screws for the hitch are already in the frame - yep, they come with the vehicle. You unscrew them, put the hitch in place, and screw them back in. You will need another person (or a jack) to hold the hitch in place while you tighten the bolts.

The hitch I bought was $130 shipped to my door (much less than the dealer option) and purchased over the Internet. It's a Class II hitch which means it is designed for 350 pounds of tongue weight and will pull 3500 pounds. This isn't a problem since the HiHy isn't designed to pull more than that. Many of the hitches sold for this vehicle are Class III - maybe so you can have a higher tongue weight. Finally, I'm fairly happy with it. My only concern is it partially (about 1/4" to 1/2") blocks the spare tire. I played with it a bit (but didn't completely lower the tire) to see if it would hang up. It didn't appear that it would.

I'm told you can get the part #18248 at any Draw-Tite dealer, although you may have to order it. You can go to their website and find a dealer location by entering your zipcode: www.draw-tite.com.

Last edited by PflHybrid; 03-25-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast

HI,
What model hitch did you get? Everytime I call the hitch people they tell me that the only one available is a Class III. Is your hitch a 1 1/4" or 2" receiver?
Thanks

Old 03-13-2006, 01:39 PM
650 Volt

I snagged a class III off of Ebay for a little uner $100 with shipping. It was a great deal and a good hitch. it's a 2" reciever; I don't recommend getting anything less than the max towing capacity of the truck ( 3500lbs), just in case you need it you don't max it out.
I ended up having to go through the dealer for the harness. toyot's are infamous for requiring a converter box with the harness- they are replacement parts if you try to order them through the dealer. cost about $100, but it's right and it's OEM parts. It is perhaps the biggest pain to wire....
hope that helps!

Old 03-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid (hh) and purchased the wiring harness from Hitchfinder.com. To order you need to call 866-308-9051 and ask for Amanda. She will know what you need. The part number is Draw-tite 18248. Price is about $28 +shipping. It works great. This is far cheaper than buying the Toyota parts that are about $100. To find the factory tow harness connector you will have to open the rear cargo door and look under the driver side storage tray. All of the connectors have a grey foam around the connectors. The connector is right below the driver side storage bin and is covered with grey foam. Good Luck..................

Old 03-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

Anyone have pics of the attachment under the bumper? I crawled under my car yesterday and couldn't figure where the reciever would be bolted.

Thanks-

Old 03-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

Tim,

This might help. Here's an installation diagram for a hitch (not mine) showing where the screws are located on the frame. There is no connection on the bumper itself for the receiver (or hitch); it bolts directly to the frame of the vehicle.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
70778.pdf (45.4 KB, 144 views)

Quick Reply: Trailer wiring on 2006 HiHy

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands