Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Michelin and the "Tweel" tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb Michelin and the "Tweel" tires

DETROIT, M.I. (January 9, 2005) – Today at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) Michelin showcased a potential future for mobility, an integrated tire and wheel combination missing one ingredient that is vital for traditional tire performance...air. The company unveiled the first real-world fitments for its revolutionary "Tweel" – which operates entirely without air. View the photo gallery.
Read more: Michelin

You can also check this video

I wonder if we combine these tires with hybrid cars, how much more we will save on gas?

All the best,

Ed Torres

Last edited by torresinc; 06-02-2006 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Added a video link
Old 06-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Michelin and the "Tweel" tires

Originally Posted by torresinc

Read more: Michelin

Originally Posted by michelin
. . .
Originally Posted by michelin
The Tweel prototype, demonstrated on the Audi A4, is within five percent of the rolling resistance and mass levels of current pneumatic tires. That translates to within one percent of the fuel economy of the OE fitment. Additionally, Michelin has increased the lateral stiffness by a factor of five, making the prototype unusually responsive in its handling.

I wonder if we combine these tires with hybrid cars, how much more we will save on gas?
The "five percent of the rolling resistance and mass levels" is a problem. First, they sort of mumbled "rolling resistance and mass" instead of reporting each. The rolling resistance is the risk area.

Still, it is a prototype and they may have improvements in a production model. But my first question will always be about the rolling resistance.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Michelin and the "Tweel" tires

This seems like it does have potential due to the fact that they can tune the vertical and lateral stiffness independently. That means that even though now rolling-resistance may not be an advantage on these, tweel technology might come out at some point that could minimize rolling resisitance without sacrificing as much stability or handling ability as current low-rolling-resistance tires.

The only area I find would be suspect though is with respect to noise. It seems like having metal springs rather than air is going to be much noisier, and I cannot think of an easy solution. A tweel might be hard to market if it has few benefits over a typical run-flat, yet is extremely noisy.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Michelin and the "Tweel" tires

Here it is an update from Michelin:

We appreciate your interest in the "Tweel".

Presently, Michelin's intention is to continue to develop Tweel technology beyond its initial applications on the iBot wheelchair and Centaur personal transport from Segway.

However, it is estimated that it will likely take about 10 years before cars and light trucks are available with Tweel technology as further product development is necessary. Vehicles must be designed with Tweel as original equipment - it cannot be used to replace existing pneumatic tires and standard wheels.

If you have additional questions, please respond to this email or you may call us at 1-800-847-3435 between 8:30AM and 6:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday to allow one of our Consumer Relations Representatives to assist you.

Michelin North America
Consumer Relations

Old 06-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Default Re: Michelin and the "Tweel" tires

I think aerodynamicly it is a bad tire. Also, if a piece of debris gets stuck between the veins then you are in for a world of hurt. No doubt they can overcome these obsticals but as it stands now, I wouldn't think it would be good.