Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

"Say Hybrid, and Many People Will Hear Prius"- NY Times, registration required

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow "Say Hybrid, and Many People Will Hear Prius"- NY Times, registration required

A riddle: Why has the Toyota Prius enjoyed such success, with sales of more than 400,000 in the United States, when most other hybrid models struggle to find buyers? One answer may be that buyers of the Prius want everyone to know they are driving a hybrid.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/04/bu...2453e2&ei=5070

I hate to cite to an article that relies so much on CNW Marketing Research, even if this incarnation seems benign, but it's a fairly pro-hybrid article, so I thought it was worth sharing. I'd also like to put the question out there myself: Do people on Green Hybrid think that the attitudes of hybrid buyers have changed a great deal in the last couple of years, towards a group that's more interested in making a statement about how green they are?

Secondarily, is it really true that stand-alone hybrids, as opposed to modified hybrids like the HCH, FEH, TCH, which came from existing models, are better or more popular because they stand out? Do we think that this is going to be the wave of the future?

Old 07-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Happy Camper Enthusiast
Default Re: "Say Hybrid, and Many People Will Hear Prius"- NY Times, registration required

This connects to bwilson's insult thread too.

The Prius is a "boutique" car for many people. I mean, think about it: it's a $30,000 "economy" car. Uh-uh. "Rich" people buy Prius's very often to make a statement or "do their part." Did you ever hear of a Hollywood movie star driving their HCH to the Oscars? Why not?

Because unlike the boutique Prius, most people buy the $21,000 Civic as a very well appointed but comparatively inexpensive econo-car. I don't have firm evidence for this outside my buying experience and talking with friends, but my sense is that the HCH isn't seen as a "hybrid" *first*. Look at the Prius, in contrast, and you can *only* see a hyrbid because that's all it's ever been.

Add in the fact that it's not a "mild" hybrid, and the fact that it was the "prototype" and thus paragon of a superbly successful dedicated drivetrain technology.

The hype holds up on closer inspection, too, since the Prius has enough electric to not just not-slow-down-so-fast in EV mode like the HCH (mostly) does -- the Prius is actually a fully functional EV over a reasonably wide range of driving loads and conditions.

And, rightly or wrongly, the Prius has those EPA numbers that make it *look* like an EV -- truly high-impact numbers. The HCH isn't too shabby either (hell, I think it's fantastic, given what its system is), but just about every other hybrid out there simply isn't truly a "high mileage" vehicle -- their systems just slightly take the edge off the mileage pain (115% of 25 realworld mpg is still only 29 mpg).

Last but not least, specifically as to the lack of awareness of the HCH: Honda is already known as a high-mileage automaker, always has been (and not in every case deservedly) -- but they've always had the most efficient cars, and they've had "normal" small-gas cars that busted 50 mpg. So, you hear about a Honda that's EPA rated 49/51, you think, so what? But when you see a Toyota -- not known as gas-guzzlers, but they're no Honda -- with *60* mpg -- man, *that's* what a hybrid should do.

Some possibilities, anyway.
cheers --
doug

Old 07-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: "Say Hybrid, and Many People Will Hear Prius"- NY Times, registration required

A Prius costs $30k??? Huh? Not the last I heard.
I thought they were in the low twenties.
You can get a 4x4 Escape Hybrid for the upper twenties.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Vegetarian

I've been wondering lately even how many Prius drivers know of other hybrids. Since I started driving my Insight on a daily basis I've taken to waving to other hybrid drivers (thinking they'd be like, "oh cool an Insight, those are sweet"), but no one seems to realize. I stopped waving in my HCH after no one waved back (it's not hard to miss that it's a hybrid) and hybrids became increasingly more popular. I was hoping to get more attention in the Insight, but I haven't gotten any comments yet (outside of my family). Not that that was the reason I bought either of my hybrids. They just make sense to me and I want people to understand how great hybrids can be.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've only ever seen a few Insights, and sometimes even I have to take a second look at one if it's passing on the street before it clicks that I'm looking at a hybrid. They're just rare and unusual enough that people aren't going to have that instant recognition that a Prius has been able to achieve... and maybe it'll be difficult to mimic or repeat that level of recognition for some other model.

I've certainly had a few conversations with people, usually at their instigation when they complain about the high price of gas or how bad their gas mileage is, when I say that I drive a hybrid and they immediately assume I meant a Prius. It's not too annoying- the mistake is understandable these days, I think. But of course, I lose no time in setting them straight and probably filling their ears with as much or more information about hybrids than they ever wanted to know.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I was talking to a man at work, and he was complaining about the price of gas. He drives a Jeep. I told him he should test drive a hybrid, and I told him I get about 40 MPG. He says "Yes,but you can't go off road like I can. My wife and I go camping a lot, and sometimes in remote areas." I said "Sure I can! You can get a 4x4 hybrid you know." His jaw hit the floor. He had no idea. He immediately dropped everything and went out to have a close look at mine.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
A Prius costs $30k??? Huh? Not the last I heard.
I thought they were in the low twenties.
You can get a 4x4 Escape Hybrid for the upper twenties.
Base price is low 20s. A fully loaded Prius is about 30k. My 4WD Escape Hybrid was also just shy of 30k.

The thing is, I know people who grumble about the "high price" of a hybrid, then I take a look at what they're driving and they spent more on their cars then I did. <sigh>