Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Study: Younger Buyers Aren't Much Into Domestic Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Study: Younger Buyers Aren't Much Into Domestic Vehicles

AS HARD AS DOMESTIC CAR and truck manufacturers have been trying to win younger buyers on the coasts with messages about vehicle quality, reliability and youth, they aren't swaying younger buyers just yet.

According to J.D. Power and Associates' "2007 Avoider Study," released Thursday, pro-domestic and pro-import vehicle buyers are divergent in age and region. The study found that the younger a buyer is, the more he or she is likely to avoid domestic cars and trucks. Conversely, buyers who purchase domestic vehicles are more likely than younger buyers to avoid a vehicle because it's an import.

Younger buyers also give more importance to gas mileage as a reason for purchasing, versus older buyers. Generally, domestic-vehicle buyers say styling and cost are the biggest reasons they avoid import vehicles.
http://publications.mediapost.com/in...&art_aid=71859

I'm over a decade late in entering the car market to buy my first vehicle, so when I did so, the internet played a major role in finding praise and criticisms for the vehicles I had in scope.

The younger generation is exploiting the technology even more. It is no longer sufficient to write your slanted opinion pieces through traditionally well-known publications and assume that people are paying attention anymore.

Last edited by spinner; 11-30-2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting
Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Canuck
Default Re: Study: Younger Buyers Aren't Much Into Domestic Vehicles

I am an older buyer who switched back to a domestic car from years of driving Camry's because finally there are a few North American cars of similar quality and inclusive packages (they used to charge something for every option while Japanese cars used to include most of the options.) Toyota's are still a fine car but they are not as far ahead in quality as they used to be (Ford has caught up and may have surpassed Toyota). I got about 460,000km 275,000 miles out of my Camry - here's hoping the Fusion lasts as well. I think that a swing back to domestic cars for younger buyers is going to play out over several years and it is only the very early adopters who are changing now.